Sunbeam EM0480 - grinds in the bottom of the cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM0480 - grinds in the bottom of the cup

I bought an EM0480 a few weeks ago and overall and Im pretty happy with it, although it really does make a mess, it sprays fine particles everywhere no matter how I place the container underneath it. And its hard to dislodge any stuck coffee in the top of the machine after grinding.

I experimented with different settings and Ive found that setting 13 is the sweet spot to my taste. On setting 13 I get a 30 second pour for a double shot and a really rich full flavoured shot. Setting 14 or higher and the espresso rushes out, 12 or lower and my machine struggles to pump through the fine grind.

One thing I have noticed that Im not happy about is that I always get fine coffee grinds at the bottom of the cup at setting 13, it still happens at setting 14 too. Is this something that happens to everyone and/or is it only commercial grade grinders that dont do this?

I have a Breville 800es and Im using an unpressurised Krups Double Basket. Is it the basket that may be the problem? Any suggestions to fix the problem with the equipment Ive got? By the way Im not willing to spend the money on a commercial grinder so dont even suggest it.  :P

As an aside I noticed the thread about the EM0480 not grinding fine enough, perhaps Sunbeam have adjusted the machine because at setting 10 the coffee was so fine that I almost broke my espresso machine, it badly overheated and I couldnt even complete the double shot. I wouldnt dare try any lower than that!

Re: Sunbeam EM0480 - grinds in the bottom of the cup

Hi byronator, I cant really give any insightful info on the fine grinds in cup, other than say that I have the 0450 and notice the same - only a very small amount, but noticeable all the same.  Not sure if this would be avoided with a better grinder, or how much better you would need to go.

In terms of the grind setting, this cleary varies from one 0450/0480 to another.  Some need shims, some dont.  What I found, when I first picked up my grinder was that there were 4 (or so) screws that attach the top section of the grinder to the lower parts.  I took the bean container, top burr and housing etc off, and was able to tighten these screw considerably (i.e. they were quite loose), and this has a noticeable impact on the setting required to get the ideal grind - i.e. tightened things up, and as a result I had to back it off quite a bit. 

My assumption is that this would be an issue common to these models, and my (unproven) theory is that many people shimming their grinder, could possibly have fixed the issue by trying this first... but Im basing that only on my experience with my grinder... certainly not a conclusive test sample  ;D

Comment

I just upgraded from a 0450 to a mazzer mini, dont worry about grinds in the coffee, I still do get it with the MM (very small amount, something like sediments)

Even when you drink at cafes, they also do have grinds in the coffee.

Seems that we are grinding at the same level ! 1 notch down slightly choke, 1 notch up it rushes out.

And I think its better to off the machine if within 8-10sec there are no drip or only a few drop come out. Definitely choking the machine already.

Comment

some times these grinds are infact dirty pf and group try giving the pf holder and and baket a good clean, and I mean a good clean some espresso cleaner like puff caff helps

Comment

Thanks for the tips coffee snobs.

Its interesting to know that even in cafes you get some grinds in the bottom of the cup. I so rarely buy made coffees these days that Id forgotten, I dont like paying >= $3 to get something Im usually extremely disappointed in.

Ill try cleaning the head more often too, Im pretty good with the basket and holder but I do tend to neglect the head.

Comment

make sure you clean the bit under the basket inside the pf

Comment

Dont forget to wipe the shower screen when you are finished either.

I have an EM0480 and I get very few grinds. with a Gaggia.

how firmly do you tamp?

Comment

Quite firmly, enough to get a 30 second pour, thats on setting 13 with my grinder.

If I use setting 14 it doesnt matter how hard I tamp I cant make a pour go any slower than around 17-18 seconds and 12 is too fine as explained earlier, so setting 13 really is the way to go.

Comment

Have you tired other baskets? Im using the cheaper (but very similar) 450 grinder and a Breville basket on a Sunbeam machine. I dont notice any grinds in my cup. Ive always thought the holes on the basket were very fine (not that I expect the basket to act as a grind filter but I it may effect the flow somehow).

Comment

Ive been using my new EM0480 with a Presso lever action machine and havent had any problems with fines in the shot. The Presso basket is unpressurised too.

Ive been using varied settings between 6-12 depending on the blend and how light or strong the roast is.

For example a 100% robusta bean that is a lighter roast likes a setting around 6 otherwise it just runs too fast. A more typical roast tends to like 9-11 for a nicely timed shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X