X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which grinder for a Giotto?

Hi,

lets say someone hypothetically owned an ECM Giotto Premium :

Would the Breville Smart Grinder be good enough for such a beast? What would I notice between that and a M4 or Mazzer Mini?

Theres a massive smart grinder thread but I didnt find anyone with this particular combination...

In the mean time Ill be using my oversized GR. Incidentally, last night I went a bit too fine and ended up making flour ;D

thanks for the advice

Re: Which grinder for a Giotto?

Hi Iain

I like all of the above grinders for different reasons.

You will get by with the Breville. It is a great entry level grinder. Like many things in life though, you dont know what you are missing out on until you experience the difference for yourself. When that day comes, there is no turning back.

Apart from vast differences in overall construction, compared to the Smart Grinder, the performance of the Mazzer and/or Macap will give you greater clarity of flavour. All three grinders are well worth the asking price.

Comment

I use a K3 Elite WBC with my Rocket GPP Plus and am very happy with the results.

The Breville smart grinder would do an OK job but a better grinder would give better results. Be a shame to have such a good espresso machine and run it on cheap grinds

Comment

Spend on the grinder, economise on the machine Iain

Comment

Holy cow, I DID economise on the machine, as you probably guessed, its not brand new and about the limit of my budget, but if I went lower I know I would have regretted it in a year... (I have this site to blame for that. Ignorance is bliss?)

Maybe Ill leave the GR out back and let my wife use the cheapy grinder on the kitchen bench. When I see her sneaking outside to use the GR Ill move it inside

Comment

Hi iaindb, I had the Rocket & Smart grinder combo, didnt last long, now have the Rocket & M4D combo.

The Smartgrinder sits in the pantry, just in case I want to do a french press/stove top.

Check out the link for pics etc
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1295072269/11#11

Comment

Easy, a big conical like a mazzer kony e ;D

Once youve sampled a shot from a big conical, theres no going back IMO. Save up the pennies, the spend is well worth it if your a coffeesnob.

Comment

ha yeah... I would be sleeping outside with it! Besides were limited on bench space and air space in our combined living / dining / kitchen room.

I think it will be a Mazzer/Macap then... now to find one for a good price!

Comment

have a look at Greg Pullmans review of the K3 vs the Mazzer mini before you disregard it.

Comment

When I got my Expobar Minore I used a Rocky, then a Macap M4 then a Mazzer Major now a Compak K10 Fresh. They were all good at the time, but things kept better with each upgrade. Machine has not changed.
                    Get the best you can, it will always make a difference.
                    Within each price category they are broadly similar, get the one you want to pay for.

Comment

good advice, thanks. I will one day probably have a big conical grinder, but for now I have to make some compromises! Ill try the GR until I can source the new grinder.

Machine should be posted next week some time 8-)

Comment

OK I have another question regarding the grinders in the MM / K3 / M4D range - do any of them suffer from this? It creates a lot of waste and mess tidying up...

Comment

Looks like a familiar site to the mazzer mini I had. Simply brush down with a small pastry brush after each session

Comment

Never seen that mess in my K3 :-?

I grind only as much as I need using a technique known as "free dosing" , basically just pulling the dosing lever continuously as you grind so you only grind as much as you need.

Comment

Yes I brush it down but when youre only making a cup or two, thats almost 50% waste. It doesnt help that the grind chute and the doser body trap the beans all over the place (thanks to the way the connecting bits overlap the wrong way). If you were making large volumes of coffee at a time this wouldnt matter, which is what the GR is built for I spose...

Trentski, thats what Ive been doing (thanks for naming it for me!). The grinds you see are the ones that flew out of the chute! Although now I think about it, I didnt have the lid on which directs them downards. I think its not helped by static.

How is the K3T for static - it looks quite nice

Comment

Working...
                              X