Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Serious Grinder - Compak K3 Touch or Mazzer Mini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Serious Grinder - Compak K3 Touch or Mazzer Mini?

Im looking to buy my first serious grinder and I was wondering what peoples opinions are regarding the two above.

Im looking for a grinder that will last me a long time, and is stepless (both of which meet these requirements). Doser or doserless will do. Ive read good reviews on both, however the Mazzer seems to come out on top, so I guess Im trying to gauge whether its worth spending the extra $170 for the Mazzer.

I currently have a 6yr old Gaggia Classic which I hope to upgrade in the next couple of years.

Cheers
    Colin

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: First Serious Grinder - Compak K3 Touch or Mazzer Mini?

Have you seen this review? Its very in depth and informative.

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/mini-k3/

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 7764627B7778160 link=1311511399/1#1 date=1311519309
      Have you seen this review?  Its very in depth and informative.

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/mini-k3/

Cheers
      Yes I have. So am I correct in thinking that the Elite is just a dosered version of a Touch with no other differences? If so, this would make my decision a lot easier.

Comment

I was in the same situation as you 2 years back. The decision comes down to this: do you want a doser or not? The newer Compaks dont have the play in the burrs, as mentioned in Greg Pullmans review. FWIW I ended up buying the compak (older model with slight burr play), because I dont like the idea of a messy doser. Dosers are handy though if you often have a number of coffee guzzling guests. But you can buy external doser chambers for this purpose. There is a thread dedicated to the discussion of doser vs doserless if you need to read into it more.

Comment

The Elite is almost identical to the touch but with a doser instead of the time mechanism thingy.

I did the same comparison couple of years ago and got the K3 elite with WBC doser (missing the tamper) it costs more because apparently they build the elite then grind the tamper off ;D

I had a lucy that has a doserless rocky and silvia built into one unit. I found I made lots of mess with that, I find the same thing with my K3 ;D so to say a doser is tidier than doserless or vice versa is an argument I dont buy into, I can make a mess with either.

The doser keeps itself very clean, someone posted a pic of their mazzer mini doser the other day and I couldnt believe how messy it was, not sure what they had done to get it in that state.

Im happy with my K3, the price difference buys a lot of beans 8-)

Comment

In "Bang for Buck" terms, the K3 is pretty hard to beat and is directly comparable with Mazzer, Macap and what have you...

Given how proactive Compak are as a company, always striving to improve, I think it would be an excellent call to go with a K3... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Im leaning towards the K3. I tend to make about 6 cups of coffee a day for myself and my wife, so I reckon the doser wouldnt really be worth my while, and as you rightfully point out Trentski, the price difference would buy me a lot of beans

BTW, I noticed from one of the site sponsors that they stock both the Compak K3 Mini Instant with 54mm burrs (which I assume is the Touch) and the Wega Mini Instant with 58mm burrs (which I believe is a re-badged Touch). Would you recommend one over the other bearing in mind the burr size difference? Theyre priced the same too.

Cheers
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by 76666D606132050 link=1311511399/6#6 date=1311580546
                BTW, I noticed from one of the site sponsors that they stock both the Compak K3 Mini Instant with 54mm burrs (which I assume is the Touch) and the Wega Mini Instant with 58mm burrs (which I believe is a re-badged Touch). Would you recommend one over the other bearing in mind the burr size difference? Theyre priced the same too.

Cheers
                Colin
                Might be old information. The K3T is correctly branded K3 Touch and the Mini-instant also ships in 58 configuration as far as I know from current stock. Compak does not use the term mini-instant.

Comment

mazzer mini E...?

Comment

Working...
                  X