Opinions on Rancilio MD50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Rancilio MD50

Hey everyone! Just seeking out peoples experience on the MD50 - noise, grind quality, dosing action etc.

Im looking to buy one second hand and would like to know how people find them when compared to Minis/k6/M5 and the like. If you have ever owned or used both Id love to hear your pros/cons and why.

Im still looking on here for second hand grinders and may end up posting a WTB, but this one popped up locally so Ill consider it also.

Thanks - Peter.

Re: Opinions on Rancilio MD50

Anyone?!? :-/

Comment

I guess there aint many MD50s in CS!

I own an old K6 and its noisy (like a banshee) but grinds well and the doser might be one of the best Ive ever used. The old K6s are great value secondhand.

No help on the Ranch though. I would suggest taking a handful of beans around and giving it a try.

Comment

I have one but it had a hard life before I got it so I dont know how representative mine is. It is loud and not that quick, it is ugly and the dosing chamber leaves a bit to be desired.

That said it will last a lifetime and the grind is good so just depends what you are after.

Brett

Comment

Thanks guys.

Andy - Ill take some beans round with my trusty Sunbeam, get an idea of speed, noise, dose.

Brett - thanks, just the kind of opinion I was after. Ive seen plenty of them in shops but never up close (that goes for any grinder really) so the first words that came to mind when I had a play were agricultural, not much finesse but would survive a nuclear blast.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply - only just noticed this one! probably too late for you but I have an MD50. Did you end up getting one?  Ill put in my two bobs worth just in case:-
            All mentioned above is correct - ie it is big, industrial grade and very solidly built.  Coffee grind quality and adjustment are great in my opinion, but I dont have any experience with any other high end grinders (I know I get good shots with my Gaggia Classic and the MD50).  Cons are - really intended for high use / cafe type arrangement, if you want a few coffees a day you just lose too much coffee in the shaft and doser etc.  I dont mind the noise (its more lows than high pitched sound that you get from low end conicals).  I am actually looking at a Breville Smart Grinder to replace this thing in my kitchen...it aint pretty!

Comment

Working...
            X