Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Compak K8 Silenzio cant grind finely!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Compak K8 Silenzio cant grind finely!

Hello potential helpers! ;-)

I recently picked up a 2004 Compak K8 Silenzio from ebay. It was ex-Gloria Jeans and upon arrival looked like it never been cleaned and smelled disgusting. I have completely stripped it down, cleaned it and rebuilt it. I have also replaced the burrs with brand newies.

The problem arises here: I chuck some beans in and grind on the finest possible setting (ie: the upper burr carrier was wound in to where to the burrs touch, then backed off ever so slightly) and they come out like sand!

The picture below shows grinds from my rocky on its usual espresso setting next to the K8s finest grinds :-/

If anyone could lend some advice it would be much appreciated!

Tim

Re: 2004 Compak K8 Silenzio cant grind finely!

Are the replacement burrs genuine? It has been reported here that some non genuine burrs are very poor quality and grind worse than worn originals.

How does it grind with the original burrs?

Are the burrs flat and parallel?

Cheers

Comment

The replacements are generic burrs, however they grind exactly the same as with the original burrs that I took out.
      Yes the burrs are flat and parallel.

Tim

Originally posted by 2132342D212E400 link=1313415426/1#1 date=1313418993
      Are the replacement burrs genuine?  It has been reported here that some non genuine burrs are very poor quality and grind worse than worn originals. 

How does it grind with the original burrs?

Are the burrs flat and parallel?

Cheers

Comment

Check that the threads are spotless and perhaps use some carbon graphite. It may be that you think the burrs are touching but its just gunk in the threads.

Comment

Im 100% sure that they are touching - I buzzed the motor and wound it down to the point where the burrs literally stop each other just to double check

Originally posted by 0B3E3334001C3039393A3A5F0 link=1313415426/3#3 date=1313444629
          Check that the threads are spotless and perhaps use some carbon graphite. It may be that you think the burrs are touching but its just gunk in the threads.

Comment

Seems odd, ie if the burrs are almost touching, (and flat and parallel) then it would be physically impossible for grains larger in size than the gap to escape through this (tiny) gap.

Have you actually measured the flatness of the burr while its mounted on the bottom carrier?

Or is there a small raised projection on one of the burrs that is making that burrs clash but there is a gap for the rest of area?

Cheers

Comment

To do an actual measurement, do I need to get some small kind of spirit level and sit it on the bottom burr carrier?

Tim

Originally posted by 6774726B6768060 link=1313415426/5#5 date=1313458118
              Seems odd, ie if the burrs are almost touching, (and flat and parallel) then it would be physically impossible for grains larger in size than the gap to escape through this (tiny) gap.

Have you actually measured the flatness of the burr while its mounted on the bottom carrier?

Or is there a small raised projection on one of the burrs that is making that burrs clash but there is a gap for the rest of area?

Cheers

Comment

No, you ideally need a dial gauge. However, you can tell if the bottom burr is not flat (although you wont be able to easily tell by how much) by doing something like this:

I presume the bottom burr carrier etc was all cleaned before you swapped the burrs? Make sure it is so you know the bottom burr is sitting cleanly on the carrier.

With the top burr carrier removed, get a pencil (or something else non metallic so it doesnt screw up the burr cutting edges) and hold it against the side of the housing above the bottom burr (against the threads) and lower it so it just barely touched the bottom burr on the cutting face towards the outside edge.

Gently turn the burr and see if you get even contact throughout the entire rotation. You will need to hold the pencil firmly vertically, ie you can hold it with your fingers tightly and let your fingernail rest on top of the casting, or grip the pencil with pliers and let them rest on top of the casting. If its out of level, you will be able to get the pencil to touch lightly at one point of the rotation and not the rest.

Hard to explain but should be easy when you do it. On my grinder the burr was out by only 0.02mm and I could pick it up with doing the above (I later confirmed it with a dial gauge and was surprised it was only that much, seemed to be much more).

The other way is if you have it pulled apart and can look into the exit chute (ie perpendicular to the motor shaft), you can see the edge of the burr and spin it and see if you can see it wobbling up and down, which would probably be easier to spot if you screw the top burr back in and make the gap fine and give you a point of reference.

If you are not getting any fines I woudl think any wobble would be obvious.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Guys....

An even easier way to check burr-plate clearance is to grab some "Plasti-Gauge" from Repco or similar type of outlet. Simply cut off two short pieces, lay them opposite each other along the perimeter of the lower burr-plate and then screw the upper burr carrier down as far as it will go.

Remove the upper burr carrier and measure the width of the Plasti-Gauge. Refer to the table on the packet to determine the clearance between the burr-plates. I used to use precision thickness Lead wire for this years ago, but the Plasti-gauge material is very good and accurate enough for this sort of thing.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Brilliant idea for using the plasti gauge!! Would have never thought of it.

Do you unbolt the top burr from carrier so it can slip, or is the shearing not an issue?

Cheers

Comment

Thanks so much for the suggestions :-)
                      Ive just checked and its definitely flat. Bugger!
                      Any other ideas of what the cause could be?

Originally posted by 786B6D747877190 link=1313415426/7#7 date=1313467424
                      No, you ideally need a dial gauge.  However, you can tell if the bottom burr is not flat (although you wont be able to easily tell by how much) by doing something like this:

I presume the bottom burr carrier etc was all cleaned before you swapped the burrs?  Make sure it is so you know the bottom burr is sitting cleanly on the carrier.

With the top burr carrier removed, get a pencil (or something else non metallic so it doesnt screw up the burr cutting edges) and hold it against the side of the housing above the bottom burr (against the threads) and lower it so it just barely touched the bottom burr on the cutting face towards the outside edge.

Gently turn the burr and see if you get even contact throughout the entire rotation.  You will need to hold the pencil firmly vertically, ie you can hold it with your fingers tightly and let your fingernail rest on top of the casting, or grip the pencil with pliers and let them rest on top of the casting.  If its out of level, you will be able to get the pencil to touch lightly at one point of the rotation and not the rest.

Hard to explain but should be easy when you do it.  On my grinder the burr was out by only 0.02mm and I could pick it up with doing the above (I later confirmed it with a dial gauge and was surprised it was only that much, seemed to be much more).

The other way is if you have it pulled apart and can look into the exit chute (ie perpendicular to the motor shaft), you can see the edge of the burr and spin it and see if you can see it wobbling up and down, which would probably be easier to spot if you screw the top burr back in and make the gap fine and give you a point of reference.

If you are not getting any fines I woudl think any wobble would be obvious.

Cheers

Comment

hmmm....very weird. No bits sticking out past the flat outer surfaces on any of the burrs, making them touch in only one spot yet still leaving a gap for the rest of the circumference? Just seems impossible large grains are getting through a smaller gap?

Comment

Originally posted by 0013150C000F610 link=1313415426/9#9 date=1313483354
                          Brilliant idea for using the plasti gauge!!  Would have never thought of it.

Do you unbolt the top burr from carrier so it can slip, or is the shearing not an issue?

Cheers
                          Just use a couple of drops of veggie oil Artman, not too much though or it will get in where you dont want it to go.

Another trick is to just use some wax paper between the top of the Plasti-Gauge and the upper burr-plate. Since youre only trying to measure parallelism, absolute measurements arent critical, so the thickness of the wax paper isnt an issue.

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 4B565252465C3F0 link=1313415426/10#10 date=1313501607
                            Thanks so much for the suggestions :-)
                            Ive just checked and its definitely flat. Bugger!
                            Any other ideas of what the cause could be?
                            What measurement did you get for the clearance between the burr-plates when the upper carrier was wound right down? Just out of interest....

Mal.

Comment

I didnt use the plasti-gauge Mal. Havent had a chance to go and buy any sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X