Mazzer Mini Cleaning Burrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer Mini Cleaning Burrs

My Mazzer Mini is now 18 months old and I have never pulled apart the burr assembly. It has probably seen about 18-20kg of coffee since ownership, and I have used grindz cleaner through it about 6-8 times.

I am quite anxious about pulling it apart and not being able to put it back together again or cross threading it or something.

I have found the how to on the home barista website which seems straightforward albeit fiddly.

My question is how often should I pull it apart if at all, or is the grindz enough? Coz if its not necessary I really dont want to take the risk. I cant find a straight answer anywhere eg pull apart every ?kg of beans.

Any help would be appreciated.  :-?

Re: Mazzer Mini Cleaning Burrs

I didnt clean mine for about the same length of time. It wasnt too bad.

Cleaning your burrs will improve grinder function. Using Grindz is not enough. Some advise cleaning monthly. How often depends on usage and the beans you use but I think at least twice a year is recommended.

Pulling it apart is easy. Putting it back together is a little more difficult - you need to remember that you screw it back on anticlockwise (while pushing down on the throat of the grinder top compress the springs). Before removal, I would put a mark on the collar to help you dial it back in at the point before you removed it.

Another tip is to vacuum out all grinds before disassembling and try to make sure grinds are not caught up in the grease on the threads. That is almost impossible for the thread on the grinder itself but you could put the collar aside.

Comment

Thanks for the advice flynn. It sure does sound fiddly. Im just gonna have to bite the bullet and do it.

Originally posted by 7A706572727D696F1C0 link=1314751120/1#1 date=1314754380
      How often depends on usage and the beans you use
      Its funny you mention this. I recently was using some Yemeni beans and man they were grinding very powdery and I think since then it has clogged up my burrs a bit.

Comment

Its not that difficult, you shouldnt be afraid just embrace it, just spend half an hour out of your day to do it, grindz are good for cleaning the stale residue but they wont remove clogged up ground coffee in the carrier and the places where the coffe can settle and build up. I clean my burrs maybe once every two months. I use the vaccum, grindz and just a tooth brush to remove stubbon coffee.

Comment

Hi bennet,

Ive cleanned mine a few times. Its not a giant task just requires some care.

My cleanning consists of removing the top burr (mark the point before doind so, so not re-dialing is required)

Brush any coffee loose from the inner walls, burrs etc. Vacuum up.

Now for the little bit of the different part. As this is a commercial grade type grinder I reccomend buying some food grade lubricant from coffeeparts etc. As when removing the burrs your bound to get some loose coffee on the lubricant which creates for a nasty brown paste and friction in the mechanism, so I wipe clean the old lubricant and re-apply; careful not to get it everywhere and your all good.

Then just put it back to together again and it is as new. I do this about every 2-3 months. An intermin monthly cleaning consists of using wipz on the outside and grindz.

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the advice. I just pulled it apart and cleaned it and as mentioned above it actually wasnt that complicated. Im glad I did it now, there was heaps of old coffee around the edges and in the collar.

I just hope I put it back together correctly. The thread felt right and the grinder sounds fine. I meticulously put it back exactly the same way it came apart and the same number of rotations, so I hope I havent affected my zero point.

I was going to trial it with some coffee but I havent got time tonight. Will have to wait till the morning.

Thanks again for all the advice. 

Comment

Originally posted by 63687269736C6E67000 link=1314751120/4#4 date=1314759470
              As this is a commercial grade type grinder I reccomend buying some food grade lubricant from coffeeparts etc. As when removing the burrs your bound to get some loose coffee on the lubricant which creates for a nasty brown paste and friction in the mechanism, so I wipe clean the old lubricant and re-apply; careful not to get it everywhere and your all good.
              I find its usually better to clean all the lubricant off the threads completely, and DONT apply more, since if it is even slightly exposed to coffee grounds it will create a coffee/grease paste that clogs the threads and causes more wear than the lubrication is supposed to prevent.

Comment

Originally posted by 53716C797F70594A1E0 link=1314751120/6#6 date=1314789123
                I find its usually better to clean all the lubricant off the threads completely, and DONT apply more, since if it is even slightly exposed to coffee grounds it will create a coffee/grease paste that clogs the threads and causes more wear than the lubrication is supposed to prevent.
                Too right...

I cleaned all this muck off my Mazzer and replaced it with a dry Teflon Lube - The same sort of stuff that cyclists use to lube their bike chains.... If this is difficult to come by, you can also use dry powdered graphite as used by Locksmiths for example. Bunnings used to sell this in small squeeze bottles.

Mal.

Comment

WOW!! I cant beieve the difference. My grinder was obviously well overdue for a clean. What prompted me to clean it was that the grinds werent very fluffy anymore and the coffee was tasting bitter.

Now it comes out nice and fluffy and the room gets filled with that nice freshly ground coffee aroma. And the end product tastes heaps better.

I will definitely be cleaning my burrs far more regularly, especially now that I know its not that hard putting it back together again.

Thanks all for your advice

Comment

Working...
                  X