The next step up from a Breville BCG800 Smart Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next step up from a Breville BCG800 Smart Grinder

Just bought myself a Breville smart grinder and wonder how much i would have to spend to upgrade to the next best thing in terms of quality and reliability. Suggestions...?

Re: The next step up from a Breville BCG800 Smart Grinder

I think the next step up in grinder is the Compak K3 for around 700-800 range.

Comment

Originally posted by 20273D26272124274E0 link=1314922524/0#0 date=1314922524
      Just bought myself a Breville smart grinder and wonder how much i would have to spend to upgrade to the next best thing in terms of quality and reliability. Suggestions...?
      Originally posted by 3E267D382F3C4E0 link=1314922524/1#1 date=1314923546
      Yep, K3T - not 7-800; circa 600 or 650ish for the polished aluminium version.

Comment

Originally posted by 465E05405744360 link=1314922524/1#1 date=1314923546

Actually, $550 from coffeeparts

Comment

The Rocky is a step up in quality in our opinion: circa $450 to $500. But you dont have to take our word for it - get a demonstration.

charlie

Comment

Originally posted by 5D7263557B76747C54767172170 link=1314922524/4#4 date=1314929537
            The Rocky is a step up in quality in our opinion: circa $450 to $500. But you dont have to take our word for it - get a demonstration
            Ive actually already bought the breville just really trying to make sure id got the right one.

I guess then Im now wondering whats the major difference you would say that sets the breville and the K3 and Rocky and all those other thousand dollar grinders apart? and would quality like the thousand dollar jobs be wasted on a machine like the BES900 which im thinking of bagging for myself or is that kind of quality specifically aimed at commercial machines and wasted on a BES900?

in the end the only reason i got this grinder is because it sounds like its a no brainer for someone who is not prepared to spend another $550 on a kitchen appliance when $1300 for a another machine is a real stretch.

anyone want a lumina superauto btw? ;D
            read my other post

Comment

I have the K3T and the Smart Grinder which I purchased recently.

IMHO the Smart is easier to use and delivers coffee on a par with the K3T, in fact I find it to be more consistent. I did have a Rocky which was messy and not as good as either of the two I now own.

Comment

In all honesty i dont think theres a discernible difference in grind quality beyond a k3. I actually think my k3 does a better job at grind quality than my k6 and k8 ive had previously. Anything beyond a k3 and its benefits are purely related to speed and reliability in commercial applications (bigger burrs, bigger more powerful motor etc) for grinders running almost constantly for hours on end.

Im sure many on here will disagree though, but hey its just my opinion!

Theres something to be said for being happy with what youve got too

Comment

I can honestly say I cant be happier at this point since the majority at least seem to think this is the best deal under $500 and really Im trying just to be sure that it wouldnt be a mistake not spending more on a grinder because spending less than $250 in this industry hasnt seemed to get me very far in the past.

I dont think speed is going to be an issue for me where I might have to grind half a dozen cups in a row once in a while its daily maximum use might be one or two shots a day. not sure how sturdy a machine it will need to be at those monumentous amounts of coffee to grind either.

thanks for replying I value your input

anyone done the ONA barista course in Canberra btw? I got a voucher for the beginner course for Fathers Day... I think beginner is exactly what you would call me but making coffee is something I dont seem to be able to get bored with and has a lot of potentail to start eating into my wallet should I allow myself to step out into the light with all the other snobs and declare myself a coffee sssssnnn ssssnnnnnn sssssssssss ah bugger it ill just live a double life whos ever heard of a coffee swilling QLD country boy barista wannabe :P

Comment

Working...
                  X