What is going on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on here?

Hi, I know, Im new on the site, this is my first post and all that, but Ive got a small problem, Im having difficulty dialing in my new sunbeam grinder (em0360 the one that also doubles as a stick-mixer) to match my machine (em3600 with unpressurised baskets) Im using Fresh Campos beans, and I dont seem to be able to get the grind right, either it binds the machine, or I end up with a ten second gusher.

I understand that yes, my grinder isnt the best in the world, but as its got the same grinding burrs as the 450/480, I would think that its got the ability to do the job (and lets face it, For an EM3600? not much point in going fancier at this point, due to my lack of monies)

So anyway, Theres at least seven more clicks I can go before I reach the end setting on the grinder, so its obviously fine enough, but if I have it set on 6, the espresso binds up something terrible, if I have it set on 7, I get a gusher with no crema. Im using a slightly too-small (49mm) Tamper, as the next size up dont seem to fit my baskets. Could this be part of the problem?

Re: What is going on here?

Grind on 7 and tamp harder
    Easy fixed

KK

Comment

Try above, otherwise it looks like your grinder doesnt have enough adjustment in it!

Comment

Or try on 7 and dose more.  On my Nemox, I find the quantity of coffee affects the pour much more than the tamp pressure.

Seems weird that you are getting such a huge variation with one click of the grinder setting if your dose and tamp is the same.

Cheers

Comment

or 6 and dose less (to state the obvious)

Comment

Originally posted by 382329222B382E152715224A0 link=1315134457/4#4 date=1315187470
            not sure it is that easy?

Comment

Originally posted by 22346827682C68362F252D23342F2821460 link=1315134457/5#5 date=1315308961
              Originally posted by 382329222B382E152715224A0 link=1315134457/4#4 date=1315187470
              not sure it is that easy?
              Im not sure why you would think thats not a valid suggestion...

Comment

Hmm, Tried a few tricks, Updosing seemed to work for a while, then it just went back to clogging the machine, Not sure whats going on, Ive pulled the grinder back to 9 now and its still struggling.

Do Campos Beans require such a huge difference in grinder settings as they age? Or is it something Im doing wrong?

Might be an idea to invest in a clickmat or something perhaps? eliminate one more variable (the tamp)

Comment

its almost certainly nothing to do with the beans. what machine are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by 12362C3C373E5F0 link=1315134457/8#8 date=1315345730
                    its almost certainly nothing to do with the beans. what machine are you using?
                    Read OP, Sunbeam EM3600 with home-cut unpressurised double basket. Grinder is an EM0360 Sunbeam. Tamper is slightly too small for the basket though (49mm rather the correct size)

Comment

is it the grinder? have you had the machine working with another grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by 2F343E353C2F39023002355D0 link=1315134457/10#10 date=1315384137
                        is it the grinder? have you had the machine working with another grinder?
                        I have another "grinder" but its not up to the job of Espresso quality. its an older sunbeam EM0430. I use it for French Press (I used to use it for Espresso in my old cheapie sunbeam EM2300 with Pressurised baskets as well, but Ive sorta learned not to do that any more)

Comment

Theres a reason everyone on here recommends the entry point grinder is the emo450 and not the 360. The 360 is not quite up to the job.

Same burrs or not, it aint the same grinder. Things like burr carriers can be just as important (or more important) to the end product. If you are not convinced see if you can get someone to bring a 450/480 to your place and watch and taste the difference.

If you happen to be near the Illawarra in NSW, you could borrow my old 480 for a day.

Comment

Originally posted by 18293E2726212A2731480 link=1315134457/12#12 date=1315449348
                            Theres a reason everyone on here recommends the entry point grinder is the emo450 and not the 360. The 360 is not quite up to the job.

Same burrs or not, it aint the same grinder.  Things like burr carriers can be just as important (or more important) to the end product. If you are not convinced see if you can get someone to bring a 450/480 to your place and watch and taste the difference.

If you happen to be near the Illawarra in NSW, you could borrow my old 480 for a day.

Hmm, Perhaps I did make a bad choice, But from all I could find, there wasnt much in the way of reasonable discussion over the 360 on coffeesnobs, Just "pony up the extra folding for the 450" with no real discussion on the merits/downsides of the item in question.

Okay, so maybe I was foolish in pulling the trigger on the 360, but it seemed to be capable, and I certainly didnt think it would be a poor choice... I honestly couldnt see much difference in performance between this and the 0450 just by looking at it Oh well, Guess Lesson Learned. :-/

Comment

Working...
                            X