Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer Super Jolly vs Kony????

Hi Csers,
    I need a lot of enlightenment of this grinders in term of their features. I heard that Kony use something called "conical blade". I am wondering what blade that super jolly use.
    Would it be really make different with usual one regarding the price is so difference? I am still considering which I should go for my cafe later since both has similar quantity in the container (is it called hopper?).
    Please any inputs, suggestions, advises and recommendations would be very welcome

Thanks

Re: Mazzer Super Jolly vs Kony????

Hello RedZ,

I would suggest using the search function provided.
    the jolly uses flat blade.

From what I hear (please dont take this as a solid info) conical blades produces fruitier flavors?
    and flat blades, more earthy, coco flavors? thick body, yada yada...

Hope it helps (or not)

I feel bad about not providing enough info,
    heres a thread from HB, (mods, folks, this is allowed, right??)
    http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/flat-vs-conical-burrs-t10816.html

Comment

Hi Leo,
      Thank for your input. Its better than nothing unless I know one reason why the technology with conical blade is really famous since it produces fruitier flavor
      maybe more inputs would be great for further consideration such as speed, etc.
      thanks

Comment

Redz, I dont know if I can provide too much input around this space.

Speed - I think the Kony is acceptable. For me, it takes about 7~8 seconds for a double dose (18g vst basket).

Compare this to a Mini manual which takes about 27~30 seconds.

I suspect the Super Jolly is somewhere in between these two.

Grind quality - I think Mazzer does a pretty good job with all their grinders. I cant comment on the taste just yet.

Comment

Hmmm.... :-?

Dont know that my Kony produces a "fruitier" cup. Theres not much difference in the cup if youre predominantly a Milk Coffee drinker but there is a noticeable difference with black coffees. Large conicals seem to be able to broaden the spectrum of flavours and clarity. I also think my Kony produces a slightly brighter cup too, more emphasis on mid and back of palate sensations.

Thats not to say that sweetness suffers at all, it certainly doesnt. Its more a case of the sort of differences that can be detected between an equally ripe orange and mandarin, where the former seems brighter on the palate than the latter....

Mal.

Comment

Hey guys,
            Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it
            So basically, when it comes to a milk coffee it doesnt really make "significant difference" unless for espresso or long black drinker (conical might taste fruitier and rich, while SJ produces a strong taste)... CMIIW

Comment

I disagree milk or no milk connicals and flat burr grinders produce different flavor profiles in my experience.

I suggest you try drinks prepared from both to determine which you like better.

Comment

Originally posted by 0F100F14080512600 link=1315364012/6#6 date=1315860231
                I suggest you try drinks prepared from both to determine which you like better.
                Fair enough...

Probably more to do with my palate than anything else. Have compared heaps of espresso (100s) ground on either grinder type, and it is beyond me to identify any appreciable difference (in milk) between them.

Whole other story when comparing them as black coffees though....

Mal.

Comment

I wonder how reliable someones taste memory is?
                  Two or more different machines,grinders and baristas over a period of time.

It would be interesting doing the taste test blind with the same machine and barista with different grinders.
                  but then of course there is still the difference in grinder settings?

Comment

Originally posted by 2A2F3A400 link=1315364012/8#8 date=1316475671
                    It would be interesting doing the taste test blind with the same machine and barista with different grinders.
                    but then of course there is still the difference in grinder settings?
                    Thats true of course but I was in the fortunate position of having a high quality planar burr grinder alongside the Kony for some time and I made the most of it for comparative purposes...

Even so, I believe I can be quite objective when it comes to subjective qualities....

Mal.

Comment

Your lucky then Mal.
                      So the winner is???

Comment

Dont really think there is an outstanding winner, except for me... And that is the Kony since it suits the way I enjoy both making and drinking coffee. This wont suit everyone of course.

In comparing it (the Kony) to the La San Marco which has 64mm Planar Burrs, Id have to say that I never had anything but a great coffee from the LSM. The Kony produces slightly different results in the cup, that I particularly enjoy - Clean, bright brews, excellent clarity and flavour definition and all in all, a noticeably broader flavour spectrum.

There just seems to be more flavour nuances detectable on the palate. This is all with Black Coffee, mostly made in a Syphon but also similar with Long Blacks, which still have more flavour intensity to my senses. If you make milk coffees using Double Shots in a Doppio Piccolo (or a Macchiato perhaps), sometimes different flavours can be picked up on the front to middle of the palate, at the initial hit of crema in the mouth but its short in duration.

The only way to know for sure, whats going to suit you best, is to try and tee-up a cupping session, using beans that you know intimately; using both a good planar burr and large conical grinder, and then make up your own mind.

Having said all that though, I wouldnt let my Kony go for anything, short of maybe a Macap MD7 replacement that is.... ;D

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for shaing your experiences Mal.
                          It at least gives me some idea now.

Comment

I am with you Mal,

Nothing would displace my Kony-E.

For those into the M7D, Gavin (Bogav) has measurements and can produce an acetal sleeve to go into the throat of the M7D to allow for an M4 hopper. I have one coming for duty on one at the shed.

Comment

wow great guys especially for Mal
                              Next step, I will go with Mazzer Kony....
                              thx

Comment

Working...
                              X