Compak K3 touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K3 touch

When cleaning my compak k3t earlier, I noticed that I can move (up and down) and/or slightly tilt on an angle the top brass threaded burr carrier (not the plastic bit that screws onto this but the actual threaded brass section that is attached to the top burr and that screws into the body of the grinder).  It has maybe .25-0.5mm of slop up / down.  Is this normal?   The slop is noticeable also when I touch the top of the grinder/the adjustment mechanism at all during the grind (not changing the setting just resting a hand etc or when Im initially setting the grind - ie. sound changes when I take my hand off and the burr is allowed to move up slightly); I can hear a noticeable difference in grind noise as the top burr is moving up or down or tilting slightly.  The thread of the body vs thread of the burr carrier is just a little sloppy.  Is it normal for there to be some slop in this?  It couldnt help grind size consistency.

Just seems not quite right to me.  Maybe some teflon tape onto the thread to tighten it up?  Or maybe it is fine the way it is?   :-?

Re: Compak K3 touch

Have a wega mini instant 5.4, it definitely does the same - interested in opinions.

Comment

Interesting. Perhaps the grinding process forces the burrs apart, does it sit towards the top of the play during grinding?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 6F7C7A636F600E0 link=1315636269/2#2 date=1315753811
        does it sit towards the top of the play during grinding?
        I assume that the top burr carrier does get forced up during the grind, but because it can also tilt (rather than just pure up / down) it makes me think that unless the force from the beans grinding between the burrs is pushing evenly on the top burr throughout the grind it could be tilting slightly during the grind leading to inconsistent grind size?   :-/  Who knows. 

All I know is that by holding my hand on top of the hopper and pushing down during the grind, I get a finer grind and Im also getting much better results in the cup. Without the hand hold I find it almost impossible to slow down the pour sufficiently and the results are worse.   :-/.  Tried putting teflon tape on the burr carrier but it kept shredding off while I was screwing the carrier back into the body.  Was using heavy duty tape so will maybe Ill try some regular teflon tape tonight. But the results could well be me, I dont pretend to have a great deal of experience  :P.

In the meantime, Im getting good results using my hand to push down on the hopper  .

Comment

While Ive notice the slack its never been a problem - cant you just set the grind slightly finer?

Im assuming that it rides up on the beans while grinding and it has a bit of heft to it so whatever it does it should be quite consistent.

Comment

A bit of a related issue after cleaning:
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1315827620

>

Comment

Dont the Compak K3s and other models, use a similar grind adjustment as that used by Mazzer?

That is, the Upper Grinding Plate is fixed to a non-threaded Upper Burr Carrier that slots into three grooves running axially at 120deg. spacings on the cast alloy body of the grinder. The threaded adjustment collar, bears down on this section through three preloaded springs that maintain pressure against the adjustment collar and thereby the height between the Upper and Lower Burr-Plates.

At least, that is how the Mazzer system is designed.... :-?

Mal.

Comment

Exactly right - except I didnt notice any springs, looks like its just gravity.

Comment

This picture shows it well, looks a bit tight to add springs, but thread tape might help.

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/mini-k3/#grind-adjustment

Comment

just wondering, for anybody who has the k3t, how far away from the burrs touching do u have it set for espresso??? obviously this will be dependant on machine and beans used, but ball park??? at the moment my grind indicator is pretty well over the chute, and it is about a 90 degree turn from fully tight??? didnt notice how close it was till i gave it its first big clean out, and am just wondering if thats pretty well par for the course ( not sure if i should be worried or not, i CAN over think things :-?) haha

Comment

Originally posted by 0F0D000003100E071B620 link=1315636269/8#8 date=1315840373
                      This picture shows it well, looks a bit tight to add springs, but thread tape might help.

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/mini-k3/#grind-adjustment
                      Ah OK....

That explains why there will be a small amount of play and it will have nothing to do with the degree of fit of the threaded components. Like you say, more a function of gravity and the interference fit of the three keys/slots... I guess that means that all ground coffee will finish up with a small proportion of fines as the upper burr carrier settles due to gravity... :-?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 04292D212C400 link=1315636269/10#10 date=1316003792
                        and it will have nothing to do with the degree of fit of the threaded components
                        The slop is due to the coarseness of the thread in the upper burr carrier, however the mazzer overcomes this by fitting springs which always force/preload the carrier / thread up to the top of the slop in the thread, whereas the compak relies on the beans going through the burrs to do this.  The problem I find, is that in trying to adjust to a fine grind you unavoidably push down slightly on the adjustment collar thereby pushing the thread down and bringing the burrs closer together than when they are in steady state operation with beans going through them.  This results in having to hear burr on burr (or maybe only the three bits of the burr that clean around the upper burr) touching to get the right separation between the burrs when you release that downward pressure and the burr is allowed to be forced up against the top of the slop in the thread.  Hard to describe in words  .

This is why I found that adjusting with preload in the other direction (eg. with my arm pushing DOWN on the upper burr carrier and therefore operating at the lower end of the slop in the threads) I could adjust down fine enough without the burrs ever having to touch.  However this requires constant pressure during the grind or the burr gets forced back up and changes your grind very significantly (eg. the difference between a 25s shot and a total gusher).

I assume that this is why you need to adjust the K3t whilst grinding (to ensure some preload to push the top burr up) whereas the Mazzer could be adjusted without any beans / not grinding.

I seem to be getting good results with the Silvia at the moment but it is a bit annoying.

Originally posted by 2B253232292E400 link=1315636269/9#9 date=1315971178
                        90 degree turn from fully tight???
                        I didnt check precisely, but that sounds about right. I think Im maybe closer again than that but Ill have a look tonight.

Also, teflon tape does not work.  Due to the serrated thread on the carrier and housing any teflon tape just gets shredded off whilst screwing the carrier in (tried about 12 times with the tape really tight / various amounts from 1 turn to 3.)

I think I just need to adjust to the grinder.  Although I would be curious to have a look at another K3t to see if it is the same as mine next time I have the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by 6B67604B49240 link=1315636269/11#11 date=1316046533
                          and it will have nothing to do with the degree of fit of the threaded components
                          The slop is due to the coarseness of the thread in the upper burr carrier, however the mazzer overcomes this by fitting springs which always force/preload the carrier / thread up to the top of the slop in the thread
                          Thats not my read on it....

If I remove the springs from my Mazzer, there is absolutely no slop in the threads at all....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 664B4F434E220 link=1315636269/12#12 date=1316073312
                            Originally posted by 6B67604B49240 link=1315636269/11#11 date=1316046533
                            The slop is due to the coarseness of the thread in the upper burr carrier, however the mazzer overcomes this by fitting springs which always force/preload the carrier / thread up to the top of the slop in the thread
                            Thats not my read on it....

If I remove the springs from my Mazzer, there is absolutely no slop in the threads at all....

Mal.
                            Correct - the springs only act to hold the burr carrier up against the threaded collar, they arent required to remove slop in the threads as there really isnt any play in the threads on a Mazzer.

Comment

Hmmm.  Well if I grab the plastic adjustment collar which is rigidly attached to the threaded collar I can move it up and  down such that I get 1mm of movement at one edge of the plastic collar (tilting not straight up/down) which would mean maybe .75mm movement at the edge of the threaded collar due to slop in the thread... maybe normal for a compak?

Think a trip to the site sponsor who I bought the grinder from may be in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X