Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder advice

Hi all,

I currently have a Sunbeam 6910 and Sunbeam EM 480 combo. Both have been working well and i have had them for many years.

Recently the grinder has started to start performing poorly. it made some weird noises the other day and i cannot really adjust the grind. No matter, i was thinking about getting a new grinder and expresso machine anyway.

I have been reading about the Breville Smart Grinder BCG800 as a good value for money grinder and it would suit my current setup. However, I want to future plan.

In the future i will upgrade my 6910 with a different machine. I am not a heavy user of the machine - probably 1-2 cups per day only. I will probably however spend something up to the $1500 mark on the machine to make it a nice upgrade.

For a machine of that price range, would the Breville Smart Grinder BCG800 still be a good choice? OR should i be looking for a better grinder?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Re: Grinder advice

From my knowledge, the Breville smart grinder is supposedly the best bang for buck under the $500 mark.

Theres videos up on youtube where its shown off with the ability to grind fine enough to choke a $7000 machine, So Im going to guess that "yes" its more then capable for your wants. Especially if that $1500 you are talking about is the BES900 Breville Dual Boiler

Comment

Laughing@Fate the video you mention above sounds to be of no real value at all.

I think youll find most grinders good or bad will be able to grind fine enough to choke an espresso machine. $20,000 or $1500, as they are set to the optimum extraction pressure of 8-10bar or thereabouts.

Comment

Best bet would be to contact all site sponsors using the button at the bottom of the sponsor list with your query and you will get accurate information and all the pros and cons for the machine you are interested in and others in the same price range.

Rosko

Comment

Hi all,

I contacted the sponsors as suggested and have been getting some great advice.

I am currently deciding between the Compak K3 touch and the Compak K3 Push. The push is essentially the same parts as the touch, but without the volumetric measuring ie touch ability. Instead of receiving a set amount of coffee, you press a button to grind what you want.

I think this will actually suite me as i only put what beans i want to grind in the hopper for that particular drink. It is also cheaper to purchase. BUT just have to make final decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D4448484057250 link=1315899103/4#4 date=1316042997
            Hi all,

I contacted the sponsors as suggested and have been getting some great advice.

I am currently deciding between the Compak K3 touch and the Compak K3 Push. The push is essentially the same parts as the touch, but without the volumetric measuring ie touch ability. Instead of receiving a set amount of coffee, you press a button to grind what you want.

I think this will actually suite me as i only put what beans i want to grind in the hopper for that particular drink. It is also cheaper to purchase. BUT just have to make final decisions.
            All? current K3T (or at least those which we get) have been the push variant for almost 2 years. If its the old touch version, its been around for a long time. Both offer the choice of a timed grind if desired.

Chris

Comment

hmm im a little confused.

Push model:
              http://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/shop/en/grinders-2/compak-k3-push-59.html

touch model:
              http://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/shop/en/grinders-2/compak-k3-touch-35.html

I appreciate any help in understanding the models.
              The push doesnt have the timed grind i believe, hence its cheaper price.

I have also been told you can get the k3 touch model without the micrometrical adjuster ie adjust by just turning the collar. is this any disadvantage?

Comment

adjustment by turning the collar IS micrometrical. As far as i know all k3s have always and will always be micrometrical. Micrometric just means (for grinders at least) without set steps in adjustment.

Honestly i find the timed grind on my k3 useless.

Comment

cheers for the information.

I thought the micrometrical adjuster was the little screw like thing that sticks out near the hopper. You twist it to adjust the grind. Rather than just turning the collar by hand.

There are not many places that sell the compaq grinders in SA (at a decent price) so i wan to be 100% sure of it before i buy online.

Comment

Originally posted by 434A46464E592B0 link=1315899103/8#8 date=1316128824
                    cheers for the information.

I thought the micrometrical adjuster was the little screw like thing that sticks out near the hopper. You twist it to adjust the grind. Rather than just turning the collar by hand.
                    Nope. It was just a cover provided on older grinders.

Comment

thanks alot for the info guys - I appreciate the help!

Comment

HI all,

To finish the story, i ended up getting the Compak K3 touch, polished aluminium.

I have been playing with it for a couple of weeks or so and am improving my technique. Yes shots are better. The grinds feel fluffier and more consistant.

Im very happy with my purchase.

Comment

Thanks for the testing hammer.

Comment

Thats a good buy hammer, and you can taste a world of difference from the old EM480. I used to have that and since moved on to the K3T. Love it.

Another plus is its a grinder that will keep you in coffee for many years before upgraditis hits, and only because you want a faster grinder.

Gary at G

Comment

Working...
                            X