Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunbeam EM0480.. new owner, hints and tips :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM0480.. new owner, hints and tips :)

I am a proud new owner of Sunbeam EM0480. I started with a blade grinder, then tried an Aldi burr grinder... twice. Aldi grinder made the blade grinder look AWESOME! Today, my non coffee drinking husband called to ask about the EM0480, and if the price was ok... I arrived home to find one on our bench. Goodbye preground coffee, hello fantabulous coffee snobs coffee beans.

So, any tips or suggestions to get the most out of my grinder, apart from playing. Cleaning tips?

Im using with a super budget entry level sunbeam cafe Crema. Yet to get a tamper (unless you call that plastic scoop a tamper :

Thanks, Chris

Re: Sunbeam EM0480.. new owner, hints and tips

Yep - ditch the brush that came with it and get something a little bit bigger from the 2 dollar store.

I found a lot of grounds built up with this particular grinder. The good thing about the 0480 is that its easy to take apart for cleaning.

Just make sure you pay extra attention to how it comes apart so that you can put it back together. There are couple of white markers to help you align everything.

The 0480 is a good match with the machine that you have.

As for getting the most out of that grinder:
    - purge the first first couple of seconds
    - use freshly roasted beans
    - get single wall / unpressurised baskets

PS - dont wash the burrs in water. There was a warning in the manual about this. Not too sure why this is the case, but im sure its because rust will form quite quickly on this type of steel.

Comment

static tends to be a problem with the sunbeam grinder so keep a brush handy to keep the stray grinds on the bench under control, always handy to keep the other half happy, other then that the main piece of advice i can think of is when dialing in the grind one notch on the grinder seems to be around 8-9 seconds on the espresso shot at least on single wall filters. also when adjusting the grind i find giving it a quick 2 second burst to clear out the old grinds before trying the new settings out otherwise your just going to get confusing results at the group.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Ive read a few stories of people having "grind problems" after cleaning their machine, swearing its not the way they assembled the parts back.. I shall take photos of each step I think lol.

I have fantastic fresh beans... from Coffee snobs, I live in Geelong, so spoilt, with them and the Cartel.

Yet to get single wall basket, thats todays job

Thanks for the purging suggestion, I will play around a bit today, and then more again when I get my new baskets

Chris

Comment

2 things I suggest:
          1. Always fill the hopper at least half full, this gives the beans being ground enough weight so as to not jump round so gives a more even grind.
          2. After removing unused beans from hopper/burrs after grinding, turn the grinder on and bang it a couple of times against the bench to remove the static build up.
          Have fun!

Comment

I grind what I need and dont put any more in the hopper. This has helped me get consistency and waste less beans.

True the instructions say to keep the hopper full, but I think this just dries the beans out faster. If you look at the design, most of the "weight" of the beans is going to be resting on the sides and mushroom shaped bit of plastic in the hopper, not pushing down on the burrs. The grinding action pulls beans in, I dont think it relies on weight from above pushing them down.

I find tapping on the semi-rubbery collar at the back with the heavy tamper dislogdges the loose grinds best, and into the basket rather than going to waste. I dont think the EM480 has this rubbery collar though, I think its steel, so its up to you whether you want to hit that with the tamper.

Comment

Get a cheap tooth brush to clean out the spout. Before I make the morning coffees I give the grinder a little knock by lifting the front up and and then tapping it back down to the table, then I put the handle end of the brush up the spout, give it a wiggle, knock again, then turn the brush around and use the bristles to clean out anything left. This seems to work well for me. I repeat the process if Im doing coffees with different beans (my gf has decaf most mornings) and if I change the grind setting.

I too just measure the amount of beans out that I need for each extraction. Ive recently started using scales to weight the beans out and have found this has vastly increased my shot consistency.

Comment

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8Rv3-9GYM

(in 2 parts)

Ive now had my EMO480 for nearly 2 years and had absolutely no troubles, nothing comes near it value wise for the price.

Comment

It is important to reassemble very carefully. I was getting good grind, then after cleaning it went pear shaped. Very important not to turn collar at all before putting upper burr in. I made mistake of twisting collar back to grind range then putting burr in - crap results. Manual is not clear

Comment

I used a EMO480 for nearly two years and also suggest only putting a weighed amount of beans in the hopper. I tried taste tests between this and with the hopper half full and noticed no difference. Weighing will vastly improve your dosing. Also agree with the above comments regarding knocking on bench and brushing to get the last bit out. have fun!

Comment

hi
                      I bought a new sunbeam 0480 last week and just got around to use it today.....and I did grind the coffee with the setting of 4 but the coffee didnt want to come out...so I put the setting to 15 and finally it was come out and I made a coffee from my sunbeam em4800c but it took a while for the coffee come out from the coffee machine....
                      My question is...am I set the grinder in the right setting? as you know the more fine the coffee and more time take to make a 30ml coffee....
                      is there any suggestions for the setting for my grinder?
                      thanks for your help.....

Comment

Hi miranty. It essentially comes down to trial and error. Make small adjustements (no more than 2 notches at a time) and aim for roughly 30ml in 30 seconds (60ml in 30 seconds for a double).

Are you using the standard pressurised baskets EM4800C comes with? If so you need to look into getting some unpressurised ones.

Comment

Thanks Caffeine Junky for your advice...i will keep trying..

Comment

Working...
                          X