portaspresso - Rosco Hand Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portaspresso - Rosco Hand Grinder

I recently took delivery of some very unique coffee tools designed and hand crafted by Ross Spencer in Australia.
    Like most great inventions were born from necessity when Ross couldn’t find a device to produce as good a coffee as he wanted.

While not a scientific test, or a formal review I will attempt to show just how great these items are via some pictures and some comments.

In the interests of disclosure (and to appease the cyberspace spooky la-la’s) portaspresso are site sponsors of CoffeeSnobs but anyone that knows me will also know that I would never talk something up unless it deserved it and besides, we don’t sell equipment so I have no personal gain in any sales this thread might generate.

This thread is about the portaspresso - Rosco Hand Grinder

The portaspresso - Rossa Hand Espresso is in another thread:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1317820483

Re: portaspresso - Rosco Hand Grinder

This is what the grinder looks like.

Heavy brass build, beautiful machining and comes with a screw on cap to catch the grinds (if you are not grinding into the Rossa)

Comment

View from the base...

You can see the rubber o-ring/gasket to seal the Rossa or the grind cup so grinds dont fly everywhere.

..and a single phillips head screw to remove the conical burr for cleaning.

Comment

On closer inspection you will see the knurled rings for adjustment.

Usage: loosen the knurled locking ring in the middle, turn the base to where you want it and then hand tighten the locking ring again.

Simple!

The double line is "zero", the point where the male and female halves of the conical burr set just touch.

Each large line is 0.1mm from zero and the shorter marks between are 0.05mm.

You could also set in between the lines if you wanted but I found that the 0.05mm difference was plenty close enough and easy to remember how many lines from zero your last great shot was.

Comment

How well is it built?
          Like a tank!

Very solid, and tips the scales at 1.2kg

Comment

To give you an idea of other grinder weights...

Pharos - 2.0kg
            Zazzenhaus - 0.9kg
            Mazzer Mini-E - 8.8kg
            Gino Rossi Conical - 20kg

Comment

Unscrew the handle and you can see the chamber in the top (where the beans go!)

The hex head on top is easy to align and Ive amazed everyone who has seen it at the Snobbery with the fact that you can spin it between your fingers and it keeps spinning like a top with nearly no drag and no sideways movement.

Everything about this grinder says well thought out and high quality.

Comment

The handle is the same great build quality.

Ball bearing (not a brass shim) and great action. The threads are the right size to make it sturdy without making it hard to get on and off.

Comment

Grind quality.
                  In a word... Excellent!

I didnt take pictures of little coffee castle piles of grinds but I can tell you that the grinds are very accurate and very even.

Im sure Ross will produce some high quality shots of the grinds for those that want to see them.

(If anyone wants to shout me some macro glass for my camera or a grind sieve Ill edit this thread.)

Comment

The question that jumps to mind with any hand grinder is:

How many turns?

20g of coffee beans for an espresso shot took 98 turns of the handle - That was set to 0.85mm on the Rosco

22g of coffee set to a finer 0.8mm took 110 turns

You can grind a double espresso shot in 40-45 seconds without going silly. 

And its not just for espresso!

Plunger grind works well and very fast and I took it down to 0.4mm for an excellent Turkish coffee.

The Turkish grind was 14g at 0.4mm and it took 94 turns.  ...and is the best Turkish grinder Ive ever used.

It will grind finer but I cannot think of a use for anything under 0.4mm unless you just wanted to fill your fingerprints for fun!

So in summary, amazing build quality, easy to use, great results, easy to clean and although the price might seem high at first... once you have used it you will be amazed that the price isnt higher.

Like the Zazzenhaus above, this is a future family heirloom of a grinder.
                    8-)

Comment

Good review Andy, I love the look of the build quality, the slowness of operation would worry me a bit - thats more than twice as slow as the Pharos for a similar quantity of coffee, none the less I think I will probably grab one to have a play with - the whole setup has great potential for travelling.

Comment

Hmm, Is it possible to have a comparison photo between all three? manuals in your weigh test? Just to see the different sizes of units?

I understand that the Rosco is smaller in diameter then the Pharos, Is it similar in size to the Kyocera around the neck?

it certainly is a beautiful looking bit of kit, Im still lusting somewhat after the Pharos, but well, the Rosco might be a suitable option (even if it is a little more expensive)

Comment

Originally posted by 24222F362E223A430 link=1317732517/10#10 date=1317765469
                          the slowness of operation would worry me a bit - thats more than twice as slow as the Pharos for a similar quantity of coffee,
                          Its not slow. 40 seconds for a traditional triple shot is pretty good. It might be slower than the pharos but its a hell of lot better to use too. I really dont want to get into a public comparison but they are chalk and cheese.

A Robur takes 5 seconds, you could do similar on the pharos with a cordless drill ;-)

Originally posted by 0F2236242B2A2D24023705223726430 link=1317732517/11#11 date=1317768439
                          Is it possible to have a comparison photo
                          Not today (Im roasting) but Ill try and get them all together along with a Kyocera for a pic sometime.

Comment

It might be slower than the Pharos but still much faster than my Kyocera and much faster again than the slim version of the Hario - ie. it would be a great improvement for me.

Cheers

Yxoc

Comment

If I was cashed up enough id buy the set to use at work so I have some acceptable coffee to drink - bad auto machine only here

looks like we have a nicely made manual grind and brew system which would complement the quality of a pullman tamper quite nicely

If I had stronger arms and time in the morning I could just about replace the rocky with this

Comment

Working...
                              X