Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM480 Mess Fix

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EM480 Mess Fix

    My clever husband can 3D print i.e. out of plactic. He has made me a plastic riser that sits inside the basket and stops grinds spraying everywhere. We can produce more at $10 including postage anywhere within Australia.

  • #2
    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Sounds like a great idea! Always love innovation.
    Might be best to post something with some photos in the "Coffee Hardware For Sale" section.
    Good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: EM480 Mess Fix

      I just chopped a see through plastic cup in half and wet dry the bottom smooth. Probably 45cents...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: EM480 Mess Fix

        Pity I hadnt thought of that one. I fiddled around with cutting a funnel but it ended up too bit and difficult to cut. I guess thats why I need a clever hubby to save me. I think had I not had him your idea is much more sensible. I was only charging $10 to cover cost and postage but I am now recommending in all fairness, the plastic cup.
        Cheers Dawn

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: EM480 Mess Fix

          Yay! just tried the plastic cup idea, great. Then searched for grind adjustment on EMO480 will adjust my grinder to finer grind so it will probably get messier, so this cup will be very useful. this is what CS is all about making coffee life better. Happy Brewer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: EM480 Mess Fix

            I hate a messy bench!  So I use the cutout cup, the provided storage container and another tupperware to avoid having to clean the bench  ;D a bit excessive maybe...

            Heres a video I made yesterday to pick up on my inefficiencies in making my morning coffee, but you can see what I do to avoid making a mess with the EM0480. Anyway, I hope to bring my whole process down to 2 minutes next time.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvIiIvTjV0&feature=feedu

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: EM480 Mess Fix

              Originally posted by 5E4C4254482D0 link=1318046564/5#5 date=1319213251
              I hate a messy bench!  So I use the cutout cup, the provided storage container and another tupperware to avoid having to clean the bench  ;D a bit excessive maybe...

              Heres a video I made yesterday to pick up on my inefficiencies in making my morning coffee, but you can see what I do to avoid making a mess with the EM0480.  Anyway, I hope to bring my whole process down to 2 minutes next time.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvIiIvTjV0&feature=feedu
              I thought for a second that you had two EM0480s there... My word those Giottos are shiny! ;D

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                Originally posted by 193420323D3C3B32142113342130550 link=1318046564/6#6 date=1319237240
                I thought for a second that you had two EM0480s there... My word those Giottos are shiny! Grin
                Hehe, yes its only a reflection in the side of the Giotto.  I dont make enough coffee to justify two grinders...plus I wouldnt have two EM0480 for that matter.  Maybe a nice Mazzer and the 0480 as a back up?  Now you got me thinkin... :

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                  Hey Saoye,

                  Watched you clip. Nice pour.

                  Try not to hit the porta filter so hardle with the tamp as your maybe causing the puck to fracture. Also it may be better to hit with the plast handle top rather than metal on metal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                    Hi InTheCup, was wondering how long itd take before someone mentioned that. Yeh, I didnt realise how hard I was hitting the portafilter. Its to get the coffee to fall from the perimeter of the basket into the middle so I can temp again. Ive already noted it next time I tap the porta filter.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                      Originally posted by 5B504A514B54565F380 link=1318046564/8#8 date=1319270938
                      Try not to hit the porta filter so hardle with the tamp as your maybe causing the puck to fracture.
                      I was going to suggest that you shouldnt tap the portafilter at all. It does infact fracture the puck and you can see it each time if you use a naked handle.

                      Good video though - I hope you can cut down your coffee making routine.

                      Is there any reason why you dont grind straight into the portafilter? I think theres an opportunity to cut down time here.

                      I also noticed the cooling flush took quite a while. Whats the story there?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                        Originally posted by 757663656F676A7667687275060 link=1318046564/10#10 date=1319317596
                        I also noticed the cooling flush took quite a while. Whats the story there?
                        Its typical of the Giotto...if you read my other posts I had to tweak the boiler pressure to bring the cooling flush down to where it is now.  I know the tapping is frowned upon but it works for me.  used the rubber part to tap and lighter.

                        I dont grind straight into the portafilter as I find it a lot messier to grind straight in (the issue with the EM0480 is it is quite messy...hence the topic)and by letting it grind into the container I dont have to stand and wait.  Just feels easier to me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                          What is your purpose re tapping the PF? I used to do it to knock the grinds stuck to the side of the basket above the tamped level back down to retamp. But after I got a fitted pullman tamper and this is no longer an issue as there are now no grinds left up the basket wall after a tamp. I also noticed after I made the PF naked (prior to tamper upgrade) that stopping the tapping reduced the chance of chanelling quite a bit. this was not visible with a normal PF as all the liquid obviously gets mixed up.

                          BTW, the giotto is a lovely looking bit of bling!

                          Cheers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                            Originally posted by 6C7F79606C630D0 link=1318046564/12#12 date=1319332183
                            I used to do it to knock the grinds stuck to the side of the basket above the tamped level back down to retamp.   But after I got a fitted pullman tamper and this is no longer an issue as there are now no grinds left up the basket wall after a tamp

                            Exactly right.  I bought the Giotto which came with the ezytamp.  I find a good 1mm on each side compared to my precice tamp for the Lelit.  I dont need to tap for the Lelit.  With the large gap between the tamper and the basket I find that it does not push down the grinds around the side...its a lot messier than the precise tamper. and I hate messy  Im still trying to persuade/convince the tea drinker that I need a specially machined tamper to have a correctly fitted tamper...shes not convinced.  Which means Ill get it next year 

                            Originally posted by 6C7F79606C630D0 link=1318046564/12#12 date=1319332183
                            BTW, the giotto is a lovely looking bit of bling!
                            Your Faemas pretty darn nice also.  Was going to be my machine before I "stole" the Giotto...
                            Anyway, I think were diverging from the topic  ;D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: EM480 Mess Fix

                              If you can do plastic printing, maybe printing something that will provide side walls (and even a built in PF holder), rear and base that can sit infront of the grinder, essentially encapsulating the exit chute so stray grinds dont go everywhere, and you can easily empty the strays by pulling out the plastic piece.  Like the smart grinder I guess, that works very well at containing stray grinds for a mess free bench.

                              Originally posted by 6E7C7264781D0 link=1318046564/13#13 date=1319341002

                              Im still trying to persuade/convince the tea drinker that I need a specially machined tamper to have a correctly fitted tamper...
                              I reckon a decent fitted tamper and matching baskets is an "investment", its something you can take with you to use on a different machine, if upgradeitis strikes. (assuming 58mm)  [smiley=cheesy.gif]


                              Originally posted by 6E7C7264781D0 link=1318046564/13#13 date=1319341002
                              Your Faemas pretty darn nice also. 
                              Wanna swap??  [smiley=grin.gif]

                              Cheers

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X