Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breville SMART now or save for Rocky / K3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville SMART now or save for Rocky / K3?

Im currently waiting for end-Nov/early Dec as a cooling off period before hubby will give his blessing on a new coffee machine. The plan is to get the Breville Dual Boiler, having been won over by the enthusiasm in this forum.

My question is whether to upgrade the grinder at the same time - budget will only just stretch to the Breville Smart Grinder - or to stick with my EM0480 a little longer until I can afford whatever CSers would consider the next step up from a Breville Smart (so often termed as the minimum on this thread).

From my limited research so far, it seems as though the rocky is quite often mentioned, as is the Compaq K3. Considering those prices, I think Id be waiting approx. 6 months to a year longer than buying the Breville Smart and Im not sure what CSers think of using an EM0480 with the new BDB. Is it an adequate stopgap and are the Rocky/K3 worth saving for?

Re: Breville SMART now or save for Rocky / K3?

it sounds like you should be looking for a package deal which can still be found.

The EM480 is an adequate grinder.

Most opinion is that the BCG800 is at worst on a par with the rocky with considerable opinion saying it is much better. My view is the grind quality is better on the BCG800 but the usability is a lot better making the smart grinder a clear winner even just on the mess factor

The Compaq K3 has again been rated as similar so it really depends what you are after.

All 3 a step up from the EM480 but not a huge one.  So if you cant find a package deal (lots of discussion regarding these on other forums such as whirlpool) maybe you should wait to find out what you think you want to match the BES900.

Comment

I think an upgrade is definitely in order, but not highly  urgent. If youre a CS.com.au addict, one option would be to purchase quality used hardware locally - plenty get advertised here but some patience and diligence required to snap them up. If its quite new it could just be posted without viewing.

Im no expert on grinders but Id reckon the sturdiness of the Rocky is perhaps one of the few things in its favour compared with the SmartGrinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 6D5B544E685B5459535653550B0A3A0 link=1320233828/2#2 date=1320274706
        I think an upgrade is definitely in order, but not highly  urgent. If youre a CS.com.au addict, one option would be to purchase quality used hardware locally - plenty get advertised here but some patience and diligence required to snap them up. If its quite new it could just be posted without viewing.

Im no expert on grinders but Id reckon the sturdiness of the Rocky is perhaps one of the few things in its favour compared with the SmartGrinder.
        Hello WR,

You might also have a look at the Compak K3 Push. Its cheaper than the Rocky and a far better grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 0F50485E555E525B5B5858505C533D0 link=1320233828/3#3 date=1320276920
          You might also have a look at the Compak K3 Push. Its cheaper than the Rocky and a far better grinder.
          The rockys are so common (by association with silvia, no doubt) that at $300 used but as new theyre (easily sourced and) reasonable value? Or should they be even cheaper?

Comment

As per usual, it comes down to performance v buck...

Comment

It seems as though the poor old Rocky has become redundant. At less than half the cost the Breville is generally considered a better grinder. The only question mark which remains is whether the Breville will be as reliable as the robust Rocky.

An even better grinder is the K3 Push which is twice the price of the Breville but cheaper than the Rocky.

I think Rancilio need to either rethink their pricing or update the aging Rocky which is no longer price competitive.

Comment

Well it sounds as though ill get the breville smart if theres a good package deal to be had in late Nov/early Dec but otherwise I might as well just wait a bit and not shock the bank balance too much. Before I read about the BDB our budget was only $600-$700 so were already overspending it by quite a bit.

When Im in the market for a BDB properly and possibly grinder, I guess Ill contact the site sponsors to see if anyones stocking the second shipment.

Comment

Working...
                X