macap m4d hopper screw mod/replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macap m4d hopper screw mod/replacement

it was inevitable that with an Italian design something would end up driving you mad.

And so it was my my m4d hopper screw: its a small screw which you need to use a flat screwdriver to unscrew to remove the hopper for cleaning. And its positioned under the grind wheel and hard to get to even with the screwdriver.

So i made up this longer screw for easy access (no screws required ). overall length is 80mm.

I think it looks like it should be there!

Re: macap m4d hopper screw mod/replacement

Sweet!
    Nice bit of off-hnand turning there Brett - I miss having access to the Blayney High School metalwork rooms… so many mods have to be done the hard and dodgy way now

Comment

Looks great... 8-)

But I would have opted to replace the original screw with an s/s Allen Head screw of ones preference... http://tinyurl.com/7gn6dc3

Much easier and simpler IMHO. Allen Head drivers are easy to acquire too.....

Mal.

Comment

well theres the rub you see....

I just unscrew the little blighters on every grinder I set up and and toss them....they do more harm than good when well intentioned owners try and screw them in when they dont have the hole in the hopper lined up, and they crack up the hopper as a result.....

So from my own point of view, while you have done a nice job, I reckon those screws are totally unnecessary anyways...

Rgdz,
        Attilio

Comment

Originally posted by 5B76727E731F0 link=1322206045/2#2 date=1322285143
          Looks great... 8-)

But I would have opted to replace the original screw with an s/s Allen Head screw of ones preference... http://tinyurl.com/7gn6dc3

Much easier and simpler IMHO. Allen Head drivers are easy to acquire too.....

Mal.
          There is really no need to have the screw unless you want one.

In cafes, uneducated workers tend to invert grinders to empty them (if they do that much :). The screw is there to save them the purchase of a few hoppers.

We educated CSers know better!  8-)

Comment

;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 605443554E79654940404343260 link=1322206045/3#3 date=1322290469
              I just unscrew the little blighters on every grinder I set up and and toss them
              Think mine lasted a week at best........its still around.... somewhere :

Comment

Originally posted by 6F4D4C4D220 link=1322206045/6#6 date=1322298676
                Smiley Smiley Think mine lasted a week at best........its still around.... somewhere Roll Eyes
                Mine too ;D

Comment

i can see why you all chuck the screw.

Another small issue with this grinder i feel the bean disperser is flimsy and could easily break. first time use i pushed it in quite hard and then when cleaning was sh*tiing myself i would break it removing it for cleaning the hopper ( you cant really clean the hopper without removing it)

So: as a warning to first time users dont push the pins on too hard!

Comment

Brett, just wash with warm soapy water and rinse. I dont use the hopper except when I have multiple guests and then I just wash as above and let dry by itself. Have never tried to remove the finger guard. I use my own custom hopper that holds about 60-80 gm of beans for every day use and leave about 24 hrs worth of beans it it at a time.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X