chrome plating a grinder body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome plating a grinder body

Is it possible to strip down a mazzer relatively easily so the body can be chrome plated?
    And are there any bits that would suffer as a result of the chrome or by re-assembly? I could probably specify a max thickness for the chrome, and it may end up thinner around the small screw holes and corners anyway.

A mini-E is the model Id like to have chromed (i know a guy who knows a guy wholl do it for a case of brewskis)

Re: chrome plating a grinder body

Short answer, NO

The motor stator (windings) are a interference fit to the body and are very difficult to remove without damaging them. Ive done it once (on a jolly) and will NEVER EVER do it again

Comment

Originally posted by 62737D160 link=1322529217/1#1 date=1322555503
      The motor stator (windings) are a interference fit to the body and are very difficult to remove without damaging them. Ive done it once (on a jolly) and will NEVER EVER do it again
      Probably the only real criticism I have with Mazzers and a couple of other makes who do the same thing, i.e. use the Grinder Shell as the Motor Casing. Saves money in manufacture but makes for lousy maintenance and repair access... >

Mal.

Comment

You could get it painted in that new chrome looking paint? Or if its alloy, get it polished.

Cheers

Comment

Paint would be OK but to get a professional finish still may require disassembly.
          Im painting my classic Triumph engine with gloss enamel so if that comes up mint, ill consider doing the same to the grinder...A gloss black mazzer would be cool!

To further improve the aesthetics, I also want to replace the curly cord with a pin system. I may even look at building a custom steel lid & silver buttons for the cone lid and get a glass bean hopper.

Comment

Hi Have a look at this link

http://monkeyfaq.com/mazzer/index.html

This guy does a rebuild and repaint of Mazzer Major.

Comment

^ quite a cool little project actually.
              Ive talked to Mazzer who tell me the body can be removed by use of a special tool, which they have. Itll cost me about $100 for them to do this, but without voiding of the warranty. Have to remove the motor assembly to chrome it anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X