Hand Grinder smack down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Grinder smack down

Hey all, Ive searched and looked, Ive found some info in the grinder review thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235531

But was wondering, has anyone done a hand-grinder comparo? (smack down)

kyocera, hario, etc. Availability, grind quality, build quality, cup result, etc?

comments and discussion welcome!

Re: Hand Grinder smack down

hey james,

afaik when i was reading up on it
    the porlex hand grinder seems to have the same ceramic burrs as a kyocera

the hario has ceramic burrs as well but are well, black in colour

the other noticeable differences ive read about is that when grinding a coarse grind, the hario (slim) produced more uneven grinds because of the way the adjustment dial was designed (the skerton might be better as the design allows you to lock in the grind setting physically)

ive got a porlex if you want to test that

Comment

and now for some vids (thanks youtube), Hario skelton and MSS, quick look:
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp66WshTX2Y[/media]

the more I read in to it, the more I discover that a ceramic hand-grinder is probably really no good for pour-over or siphon (purpose required). looks like Ill stick with the EM0480

Comment

Originally posted by 40494143432C0 link=1322787409/1#1 date=1322787869
        ive got a porlex if you want to test that
        might take you up on that, re-kindling my relationship with my clever coffee dripper, and about to explore the world of siphon (If santa comes up with the goods this year) hehehe

Comment

Just bought a Skerton, and the plan was to move my Lux and smart grinder on, use the SJ for espresso and the Skerton for everything else (which Id only end up using a few times a week, and maybe at work).
          But after getting it out of the box and seeing the floating, unfastened inner burr, my though immediately jumped to whether it would realistically be able to grin consistently enough for a good extraction.
          So I have a few questions which will hopefully help me decide whether to take it back or not:
          - Whats the purpose of ceramic burrs over metal ones? Do they last longer / grind better than metal ones?
          - If I keep it I think Id try to come up with a mod to have the Inner burr held in place better. Has anyone done anything like this?
          - will the Skerton produce better or worse grinds than either the Lux or smart grinder for syphon or drip? If not, if I do the bottom burr stability mod will it then be better or worse?
          - Ive heard someone say the mazzer mini is crap for anything but espresso - is the right?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by 28232F273132202723312E273B420 link=1322787409/4#4 date=1334465668
            the mazzer mini is crap for anything but espresso - is the right?
            No, definitely not right

Comment

I am grateful for this thread. I have the same dilemma. i use a mazzer mini for espresso and my Sunbeam em0480 for aeropress and french press. I have been considering getting rid of my em0480 and buying a hario skerton or Minislim. But I am not sure what will produce the better grind Hario or em0480?? If the Hario is equal or better than the em0480 then I am happy to buy one. But if the Sunbeam is likely to produce a better grind for aeropress then Ill just keep it. Honourable mention to the rosco grinder but the price puts it out of my range.

Comment

Originally posted by 696E65656E7F7F0B0 link=1322787409/6#6 date=1334471180
                i use a mazzer mini for espresso and my Sunbeam em0480 for aeropress and french press.
                Have you tried the Mazzer Mini for Ap or french press? Try an Ap with beans ground by the MM compared with one from the Sunbeam?

Comment

Originally posted by 545E4B5C5C534741320 link=1322787409/7#7 date=1334471989
                  Have you tried the Mazzer Mini for Ap or french press?  Try an Ap with beans ground by the MM compared with one from the Sunbeam?
                  Can you believe I have never tried it ??? Mainly because whenever at home I have espresso and my aeropress is reserved for holidays and work. I must give it a go one day.

Comment

I havent tried either - but should give it a go soon!
                    Can anyone comment on the differences and questions I put up above? Id love to know anyones experiences and ideas on the benefits and/or drawbacks!

Comment

Hey all
                      I bought my Hario Skerton on holidays in melbourne and am leaving tomorrow so really need help deciding whether to return the Hario and either use the SJ as a multi-purpose grinder or keep the Lux for manual brew methods... or keep the Hario for manual brew and get rid of the Lux.
                      Anyone have any thoughts?
                      Thanks!!

Comment

ill take your SJ jb :P

Comment

Haha - Im not getting rid of the SJ - thats for sure!
                          Just debating between getting rid of the lux in favor of the Hario, or vice-versa, or getting rid of both and using the SJ as a multi-purpose!
                          Never getting rid of the SJ - except maybe for a Kony

Comment

Using the SJ as a multiple purpose grinder will be very frustrating IMO. It annoys me enough getting a few average shots when dialling in a new coffee, itll be worse switching from other brew methods back to espresso all the time

Comment

id go with keeping the hario for manual brew
                              and your SJ for standard duty (not multi purporse). having to dial in the grinder all the time can be time consuming to a certain extent imho

Comment

Working...
                              X