Compak K10 observations!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K10 observations!!!

Hello fello Snobs. I have some observations that warrant some welcome comments from all those who know better than I do. We grind average 6.2 kilos of beans per day with a Compak K10 and use a Diamond Prestige 3 group. We like to manual dose but auto dose when busy. My experience in my opinion is limited but this is my observation.
    When our K10 is set and pulling great shots (27sec) it will do this all day until we get busy. I grind ahead and the grinder stops rarely (this creates heat) the grinder will then sudenly turn on me and drop continuous high 30 - low 40sec shots. this is unrecoverable and requires the grind hopper to be emptied and the grind reset. As the rush decreases the grind will again suddenly turn on me and start droping 17 sec shots. usually Ive run the grind hopper low by this stage and I dont need to waste as much grind to recover.
    I believe the metal in the recently changed burs heats and the tolerences decrese providing a finer grind. When the grinder cools the adjusted grind then changes to a larger tolerence providing a course grind. Comments welcome.
    In my diffuseing the problem I have been researching how to fix it. I am currently of the belief that a Mazzer Robar E would fix the issue. Grind on demand stops the wastage Im currently enjoying and I believe they run cooler due to a fan in the back of them. Once again all comments welcome. This is an expensive try at fixing my problem if Im on the wrong track.

Re: Compak K10 observations!!!

I have two K10 Fresh grinders and I am having issues not dissimilar to what you describe. Extraction times changing fairly suddenly then I spend most of the morning chasing the grind up and down.

Sorry I cant offer any solutions, but I dont think your problem is unique, and I look forward to any advice others out there might have.

Comment

You raise some interesting observations about the changes in performance - there are so many factors to consider that can make it difficult to identify the root cause eg. after market burr sets may differ from those that originally came with the grinder. Ive owned and used a K10 and while I was very happy with it, the K10 would not be my choice of grinder to cope with circa 6kg per day, every day.

I havent used the K10 Fresh so cant comment on that one.

I do think with the workload described, that you would be better off with one of the bigger conical grinders.

Why not talk to Chris from Talk Coffee - hell be able to give you sound advice and is based in Victoria.

Cheers
      Den (Cuppacoffee)

Comment

thanks I will call him for a chat

Comment

Will drop over and catch up. My K10 is free until Christmas if it helps too. Need it back Boxing Day onwards.

Comment

Hey Tim, My grinder is going along fine. It just drives me nuts when it drops its load!!! Because of Xmas our work load is up and the problems become exagerated. Currently getting quotes on a Mazzer Robar E. Easy to justify, hard to pay for!

Comment

Its only money I just picked up a K8 to go with the K10 for when I am really busy (max is around 8-10kg/day) and put one at each end for two operators. I am still kicking around a new option for the second grinder K10 fresh or another K10WBC in January. Would be a bit hard with your operation so the one Robur or similar makes sense.

Also have a check on evilbay at the minute at the LM Swift for sale http://www.lamarzocco.com/swift.php for some more details. The electronic dosing mech is interesting.

Comment

Working...
              X