Found the limits of the Breville Smart Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found the limits of the Breville Smart Grinder

Having had the BCG800 now for about six months, Ive been quite happy with it overall. Its a space-saver, it doesnt throw grinds all over the kitchen and overall its just a great grinder.

However Ive twice now come up against lightly roasted beans that have jammed up the BCG800 entirely, causing horrible metallic motor noises.

Both times the beans in question were around CS6-7 and both times the BCG800 managed to grind through some, before a single bean would halt the burrs in the tracks, necessitating a fast trigger-finger to stop the BSG.

Its almost certainly not a problem for those who buy professionally roasted beans, but if youre home-roasting and go for a lighter roast, beware - you may need something hardier.

Re: Found the limits of the Breville Smart Grinder

Yeah, Ive had the same thing. That noise is horrible!

Comment

Thanks for the link, it was suggested it was just my machine, but clearly its not.

Comment

Im pretty sure the noise is just a clutch slipping. Kinda like a torque limiter on a cordless drill. Thats what mine sounds like anyway. I figured it was a safety device to prevent damage if something harder than your average coffee bean entered the burrs.

Comment

Thanks for articulating it, thats what I think too. Its still annoying that it cant grind beans that are lightly roasted, but I cant see any damage on the burrs.

Comment

Originally posted by 323B2B3636323C2A590 link=1323816298/0#0 date=1323816298
            However Ive twice now come up against lightly roasted beans that have jammed up the BCG800 entirely,

Yeah, me three. Its very dissapointing.

Comment

I had some very lightly roasted beans do this. Usually a few stops and starts gets enough ground, but any measured dosing goes out the window.

I also had a coffee-bean sized stone jam up the burrs! That required some dis-assembly and digging to dislodge it.

I agree about the sound being some sort of clutch - probably not damaging, but certainly cant miss the sound!

Comment

Gave me a heart attack the first time I heard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 614C414E775249474854200 link=1323816298/6#6 date=1329188224
                  I agree about the sound being some sort of clutch - probably not damaging, but certainly cant miss the sound!

Almost certainly a protective measure for the burrs and motor.

Its a nice machine for the price but Its driving me nuts at the moment...

Comment

Ive been happy in general, but Im looking forward to an upgrade, its a great grinder for the money - and thats the important thing to keep in mind. Its significantly cheaper than the next major upgrade, the Rocky - which CAN grind these slightly harder beans.

Comment

Originally posted by 555C4C5151555B4D3E0 link=1323816298/9#9 date=1329212619
                      Ive been happy in general, but Im looking forward to an upgrade, its a great grinder for the money - and thats the important thing to keep in mind. Its significantly cheaper than the next major upgrade, the Rocky - which CAN grind these slightly harder beans.
                      Yeah, i hear that, but I seemed to get less drama from my EM0480.

Having said that, its likely that most of my dramas are a result of my poor roast technique. :-[

I have my eye on the K3 - after I get the usb temp probe multimeter thingy from BeanBay... :

Comment

Id probably rather go the Vario if I was after a fancy grinder .

Ive seen first-hand just how few grinds are retained in the burrs and chute. Its unbelievable.

Comment

I have had similar problems with my smart grinder. like you DSKi im looking at the K3. From what i have been told you cant go wrong for the price and for the difference it will make to the grind quality we get with the smart grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 4148584545414F592A0 link=1323816298/11#11 date=1329262588
                            Id probably rather go the Vario if I was after a fancy grinder Wink.
                            Im not after fancy so much as does the business. Actually likely to get a hand grinder next, as I will be able to travel with it also.

Comment

I personally think the Vario does the business just a little bit better, but I dont have hands-on experience with the K3.

A friend that does, however, felt there was just a little bit too much play in the collar (among other reasons) for the money youre paying. He also went for a Vario.

Comment

Working...
                              X