Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCG800 dosing too much?

Hi All.

I have a question regarding the dosing on my BCG800.
    To fill the standard basket of a BDB I have to select two cups, but adjust down the amount 4 bars.

is this normal? or is the grinder dosing somehow out of whack?

Re: BCG800 dosing too much?

It will depend on the fineness of your grind. A coarser grind will produce more volume than a fine one. At least thats been my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 6168786565616F790A0 link=1324197113/1#1 date=1324269221
      It will depend on the fineness of your grind. A coarser grind will produce more volume than a fine one. At least thats been my experience.
      Kelsey is spot on of course.

Ill add this. Volume and grind (particle) size are always directly related whether its coffee or coal. Both increase and decrease together at a fixed mass/weight.

sn0b - Your BDB and BCG800 are not a matched set just because they are often sold and/or marketed together.  They may be complementary but they still operate independently of each other. Unless sky-net has something to say.

Your BCG offers flexibility in grind and dose because beans aint all created equal.  This is a *good* thing.

Read the dozens of threads on grind and dose here on CS.
      Heres a BCG800 dose and grind thread:
      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1315876463

Play with different beans, grind and dose, expect dubious results and enjoy the better ones.

Comment

1 cup of buckshot will weigh the same as 1 cup of #9 shot. Yet they are vastly different in diameter.

I reckon it doses less at finer grind setting is because the motor is running slower (working harder) yet the dose time remains the same.

Comment

Unsure if this is the right thread or not.  We bought a BES900 BDB and BCG800 nine days ago.

With the grind setting under the O in Espresso, 2 shots selected, no more and no less, and no PF holder installed, the BCG delivers just under 14g of coffee.  With the PF holder installed and no other changes it delivers over 22 g.

Is this how its supposed to work?

Cheers
          Andrew

Comment

My understanding is that the PF holder swaps the mode of operation from pluger type volumes to espresso. If you want less than the 22 grams just adjust down the amount, and leave the PF holder in.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks artman, I was of the belief that it changed volumes around 17 to 20 on the grind setting (wish this thing had numbers), but I wasnt aware that the presence of the PF holder affected the dose also. 

I actually want about 22g but that amount wont stay in the basket if I use the PF holder, so I leave it off, use a cut off yoghurt container as a funnel, select 3 shots plus one bar more, stir and tamp and its pretty much spot on, with these beans anyway.

Cheers, Andrew

Comment

If mine starts overfilling using the PF holder for the dose I want, next time I grind I rest the PF on the bottom of the grinder (PF holder still in place) and tap a few times as it grinds from side to side against the "walls" of the grinder. This sort of spreads the grinds and also flattens them, so they dont tend to over fill.

Just had a thought, my PF is naked, so maybe with spouts you cant do what I do as the PF holder might get in the way?

Or you could do one dose, tap to settle, and repeat.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 09202C233433262D2033410 link=1324197113/3#3 date=1324345945
                  1 cup of buckshot will weigh the same as 1 cup of #9 shot. Yet they are vastly different in diameter.

I reckon it doses less at finer grind setting is because the motor is running slower (working harder) yet the dose time remains the same.
                  My BCG800 dose time changes with grind setting. Its not constant across the range. At least not larger changes in grind size anyway.

Not sure about buckshot. Do you mean the shooters term "cup" ?  (Ive been googling.) If so is it a measure of volume?

Comment

Whatever cup you want to use, as long as its a measure of volume. I remember the experiment from school. Everyone in the class was sure that the cup of smaller pellets would weigh more. But no, they were both the same. To get more weight for the same volume he had to mix the different sized pellets together.

I measure my beans into the hopper and grind until empty. For one level filter basket of beans I get one level filter basket of settled grinds.

Youre right about the time changing with grind setting. I had never noticed it before.

Comment

Thanks for drawing my attention to the error, Hamburglar.

My statement on 19 dec(currently reply #2 in this thread) about the relationship between volume and particle size is incorrect.  Its the result of trying to oversimplify things by blending sentences with cut and paste while omitting words.

Im not going to quote it, because this is the internet and it doesnt need to be here twice. Search engines have already memorised my folly. By now its already been googled by 13 Year Six students studying science and misquoted in at least one postgraduate thesis. Long live the internet! At least most Australian students are on holidays.

Ill try and add a correction to my first post when I get to a real computer.
                      [edit]Cant modify my first post so the lesson just became reinforced.[/edit]
                      dabbler

Comment

BCG800 grind too fine

Hi, noob here but some useful info for you Bcg800 owners.
                        I have just returned my BCG800 after 2 weeks because I was unable to get a correct fine "espresso" grind from it (13-14 setting).. BES900 was unable to extract from it. I had two other types of pre-grounds to use, which "worked" OK.

Rep at HN ran some grinding tests and was unable to get a fine grind that the in store BES900 could extract from. He then tested the exact same setting on the in store BCG800 and extracted espresso no problem. On inspection it was clear the grind on our BCG800 was way too fine - like powder. Didnt matter how we adjusted it in the espresso range, it remained like powder.

Thus it was concluded there was a problem with our grinder so it was returned and a new one put on back order.

All those wasted beans

Rep was good enough to grind our remaining beans for me and they extract just fine on my machine. That confirmed there was a grinding issue with my grinder.

Sometimes doing the same thing repeatedly is insanity!

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 113A31322C263D3A2126550 link=1324197113/11#11 date=1325849169
                          Thus it was concluded there was a problem with our grinder so it was returned and a new one put on back order.
                          Yeah, reportedly they improved the specs since the initial manufacturing run, but there is still a lot of variation in the finest setting that can be achieved by each machine.

Its about manufacturing tolerances, as far as I understand. The shim kit from Breville can correct this problem also, but its good that they are sorting you with a new grinder.

There has been a lot of info on the forum about this of late.

Comment

Working...
                          X