Tinting a Hopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinting a Hopper

I recently purchased a Mazzer Mini which has a clear plastic hopper. My set-up is near a window with lots of light and Im concerned about the effects of light on the coffee beans. Is there any reason why I couldnt apply a generic window tint film on the outside of the hopper and is there a specific reason why tinted hoppers tend to be a blue tint?

Thanks
    Sam

Re: Tinting a Hopper

You are probably better off not storing your beans in the hopper. Keep them in the bag and then only take out enough for the coffee you will be preparing at that time.

Tinting your hopper is a fair bit of effort for relatively little gain. Its not just light but temperature and oxygen that will cause them to deteriorate. I am in a similar situation to you in that my grinder is near a window and found the beans that had been left in the grinder for a few hours were inferior to those kept in the bag in a cupboard.

Comment

yes but the only problem with loading only the small amount needed for 1 or 2 coffees is the probablility of popcorning of the beans, not sure if this is an issue with the mazzer thou

Comment

Originally posted by 6A7F6F727C7975787C791D0 link=1324707499/2#2 date=1324714084
        not sure if this is an issue with the mazzer thou
        Yes it is, as with most grinders I believe but you can close the gate on the neck of the hopper.
        I remove the hopper when grinding for a single shot and use a cylindrical shot glass to weigh the beans down and stop them popcorning.

Comment

I always load around 600 grams in the hopper, the are milled away in 2 days for personal household use, there is not that much deterioration in 2 or 3 days, my mill is a K30

I roast my own beans, so a little air around the beans could not harm the taste so much.

Comment

Working...
          X