Easiest Grinders to Clean--No Rention of Old Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest Grinders to Clean--No Rention of Old Grounds

Ok, peeps, I could sure use some snob wisdom here. I am a finicky coffee drinker and sometimes drink very expensive stuff such as Esmerelda from Panama ($80+ for 8oz!). I dont want anything getting in the way of the fullest and most nuanced taste possible. I use  a French press, a Hario pour-over, a Cafe Solo, a siphon pot, and a myPressi Twist for espresso. I want a grinder that is consistent, does the whole spectrum of grinds, and, very importantly for me, is easy to clean--meaning few grounds get stuck in the machines burrs or shoot, and/or is designed to make removal of the stuck grounds easy. I currently have a ROcky, and it drives me nuts that so much coffee remains in the shoot and comes out with the next grinding, mixing stale grounds with new. I have to tip the machine and tap its back, pulse on and off and so on to get out any remaining grounds. To clean deeper I need a screw driver. (Was actually easier using my previous $99 Capresso grinder--a snap to pop out the burr and clean after virtually every use!) Now Im considering the Barazta Preciso, the Breville 800, and the Compak Touch. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to clean old grinds from these machines, and also how much tends to get stuck in the first place?

Oh yeah, I know you can run a tablespoon of fresh beans through the machine  to bump out the stale stuff, but I sorta hate to do that with such expensive coffee!

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Re: Easiest Grinders to Clean--No Rention of Old Grounds

The sacrifice of a tablespoons worth of coffee is the easiest solution...

Instead of paying so much for your beans why dont you try roasting your own?

With the money you save you could by any grinder you want, and not get annoyed at sacrificing a few beans for the best flavour.

Sniff

Comment

Pretty much every electric powered coffee grinder retains grinds, Theres none that dont (except perhaps for the Versalab?)

The suggestion I would make is possibly going to a hand-grinder? they tend to retain very few grinds. Something like the Rosca hand grinder from PortaPresso Would be very unlikely to lose much in the way of coffee grinds due to retention and its a very solid and well built bit of kit

theres also the Pharos, and if you dont like either of these, theres any number of vintage and not-so-vintage units

But yeah, I dont know of very many Electric Coffee grinders that are able to stop retention  :-/

Comment

My Macap is easy to clean with a few lid pumps (see video) and a quick brush.
        I get almost all grinds then into the basket with a few seconds of extra work.
        (Nothing left to stale the next shot.)

http://youtu.be/mvmTGOuOryA

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmTGOu[/media]

EDIT: "Insert Media" seems to be not working.  :

Original thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1263620858

Comment

I have the bcg800, which is terrible at retaining grinds.

A friend has the vario, which has a couple of very frank reviews floating around the net. Even if the reviewer doesnt like the vario, they pretty much universally say that its one of the best for not retaining grinds.

Ive seen it when my friend has cleaned it - there was simply nothing in there. Couldnt believe it.

Comment

Cheap option: rancilio rocky with a click clack lid can pump virtually all of the grounds through the spout.

Expensive option: versalab.

Havent tried the Vario ..probably a more practical option.

Otherwise, check out the dyson dc35 cordless, bagless vaccume cleaner. You can stick it down the neck of a grinder and suck all the grounds out...then re use them. (obviously you dont want to use the same vacuume cleaner to clean the carpet).

Comment

Originally posted by 48505E5757423B0 link=1324862017/5#5 date=1325029208
              obviously you dont want to use the same vacuume cleaner to clean the carpet
              I have a hand held vacuum cleaner for exclusive use on the grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 6B62726F6F6B6573000 link=1324862017/4#4 date=1324987662
                A friend has the vario, which has a couple of very frank reviews floating around the net. Even if the reviewer doesnt like the vario, they pretty much universally say that its one of the best for not retaining grinds.

Ive seen it when my friend has cleaned it - there was simply nothing in there. Couldnt believe it.

+1 for the vario. Ive only had it a week so its still honey moon period, but I can say there is practically zero mess and zero grind retention.

Comment

Originally posted by 526E7368626374616962060 link=1324862017/6#6 date=1325035356
                  I have a hand held vacuum cleaner for exclusive use on the grinder
                  I do the same!

Comment

Dyson dc35 is a bear perfect fit for a mazzer mini e or sj
                    I hovered some grounds up the other day to see how much was retained in the mini e.
                    It was more than i thought..a tablespoon full, perhaps. I think, though, that a lot of this volume was retained in parts of the grinder that hold grounds permanently through static or from oily beans. Few of these stuck grounds seem to make their way through the spout.
                    I now realize that it is important to clean out a grinder..so a vacuum is a good idea, either way.
                    (i wouldnt use a std household vacuumI, unless it was on low power mode)

Comment

Working...
                    X