Is Rocky man enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Rocky man enough

Hi there, I am currently saving for a Minore IV to replace my La Pavoni manual. I plan to purchase a decent grinder fairly soon, one that will perform well enough when the Minore arrives. Is the Rancilio Rocky upto the task? Or, should I be looking at another option. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Re: Is Rocky man enough

Rocky has had its day, at the very least get the Breville Smart Grinder or if funds allow Kompak K3 from there the worlds your oyster

Comment

That machine deserves, and would benefit from, a high-end grinder. DO NOT SCRIMP on the grinder. The espresso machine is an accessory to the grinder. Whatever functions or design you choose, I HIGHLY recommend a stepless (infinitely-adjustable) grinder. The Breville Smart Grinder does not meet that requirement.

From my experience, I also recommend a conical burrset. The better ones allow a wider range of adjustment for good extractions which can be used to adjust the espresso to taste.

Comment

I agree with you in principle Randy but if the user is looking at Rocky money, suggesting a Mazzer Kony isnt particularly helpful, even if it is an excellent grinder.

The Minore should last long enough to go through a couple of phases of grinder upgrade but there are better starting points than the Rocky. A K3 push will be an excellent starting point for around $500 and for $170 the Breville will get you by.

IMHO FWIW the diminishing returns for grinders are more pronounced than they are for espresso machines. I beleive, and I could be wrong, that when all other things are equal the average user would see a bigger improvement going from a $500 to a $3000 espresso machine than you would going from a $500 to a $3000 grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 4345525943445C5E370 link=1325585788/3#3 date=1325594631
          I agree with you in principle Randy but if the user is looking at Rocky money, suggesting a Mazzer Kony isnt particularly helpful, even if it is an excellent grinder.
          I had to re-read my post twice to make sure (it is 0530HRS and I have already been awake for two hours). I never suggested such a thing. There are numerous grinders that are FAR more capable than Rocky or the Breville. Most all of which cost FAR less than a Kony. We could start with one of the Baratza grinders and be ahead of the Breville. I could recommend ANY Mazzer grinder above the mini.

And just to show my prejudice: for the cost, the Rocky is a waste of money for use as an espresso grinder. Even moreso when looking at the machine that the OP wishes to purchase. It is pointless to invest that much for a grinder that supplies, at the most, two choices for settings in any given espresso situation. Even then, only one will be close to the desired grind. I struggled with one for 6½ years so I know.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F495E554F4850523B0 link=1325585788/1#1 date=1325587484
            Rocky has had its day, at the very least get the Breville Smart Grinder or if funds allow Compak K3
            I agree. With the Compak K3 Push now available, you get better usability, performance and stepless adjustment of grind for a similar spend to a Rocky. Its a no brainer in my opinion.

Comment

Thank you for the advice Guys.

Comment

Originally posted by 43707F75684E563F110 link=1325585788/4#4 date=1325597876
                I had to re-read my post twice to make sure (it is 0530HRS and I have already been awake for two hours). I never suggested such a thing.
                Is not the Mazzer Kony an example of a high end conical grinder?

Originally posted by 43707F75684E563F110 link=1325585788/2#2 date=1325593020
                That machine deserves, and would benefit from, a high-end grinder.
                Originally posted by 43707F75684E563F110 link=1325585788/2#2 date=1325593020
                From my experience, I also recommend a conical burrset.

I did say I agreed with you

Comment

Working...
                X