Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Grinder Recommendations

Hai all,

I need a hand grinder for a stove top (Vev Vigano Kontessa) and Im getting lost in the mist of all the threads on the different hand grinders.

Basically, I need one that is small and portable - need to travel 2 hrs weekly. It also needs to be durable but not too expensive.
    So I need some opinions on what people think is the best hand grinder and why?

Re: Hand Grinder Recommendations

I have the Porlex hand grinder (purchased about 6 months ago for travel), and really like it.

Its the only hand grinder Ive owned, so I cant really compare it, but it certainly fits the categories of small (without the handle it slips inside the aeropress plunger), and durable (all stainless body).

Comment

I have the Hario Slim grinder. Its the only one I have used, it works well. Its plastic bodu with ceramic burrs so is quite light and is compact for travelling. I use it with the aeropress.

Cheers

Comment

And just to add to the confusion: I and a few colleagues at work have been using a Kyocera hand grinder with an Aeropress, Presso, and for a time an Ikon, and have had no issues getting good coffee. It gets cleaned out once or twice a year and has been going strong for over 2 years now.

Greg

Comment

So what are the criterias for a good hand grinder?

And also, whats the difference between all the above or what made you guys buy the one you did instead of the others?

Comment

For me the criteria was something small, light and durable (for travelling), good value for money and available to buy (needed it fairly quickly). The Hario Slim ticked all the boxes.

Cheers

Comment

I used a Kyocera on a daily basis for a year and after dropping and breaking the ceramic burrs, Ive now been using the small porlex for a couple of months.

Even though they seem to be the same ceramic burrs, the adjustment mechanism and overall usability, ruggedness and (for me) the feel is much better with the porlex. It may even be slightly cheaper than the kyocera.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 3F2C2A333F305E0 link=1327036659/5#5 date=1327119984
                For me the criteria was something small, light and durable (for travelling), good value for money and available to buy (needed it fairly quickly).  The Hario Slim ticked all the boxes.
                Haha - exactly the same criteria for me, but I obviously bought from a company with a different range!

Sorry thats probably not terribly helpful for your purchase decision!

Comment

I have a Hario and a 1959 PeDe and a 1960s DeVe wall mount. Ive used Hazbeans Porlex too

The Hario we use with the Aeropress and the PeDe I used to use at work. The PeDe is a delight to use - grinds a double dose with about 100 turns of the handle. The Hario takes 200 cranks

Both produce espresso fine grinds, the DeVe does not. The Hario is far, far easier to hold than the Porlex (for me). When we go out in the Ute, we have a bag that holds the Hario, the AP and a steel jug. The Hario fits inside the steel jug (one of those 600ml things) and the crank fits inside the AP and it is all nice and compact. The Porlex would be similar, the big Hario would not!

Hope it helps!
                  /Kevin

Comment

I recently bought the Porlex over the Kyocera and Hario. Reasons:
                    Same ceramic burr
                    Stainless, so matches chrome La Pavoni and kitchen better
                    Not plastic.
                    Available immediately from online sellers
                    Cheaper than both others
                    Understood that the lower mount holds the burr more centralised than others.

Impressed with it. Even my 5 year old thinks it is fun to grind a bit for Daddy.
                    I did use a Stanley knive to modify (notch) the locking nut so that i have doubke the precision for grind settings.

Comment

I didnt know of the porlex when I bought my hario. It looks very good, even slimmer than the hario slim.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 7665637A7679170 link=1327036659/10#10 date=1327199228
                        I didnt know of the porlex when I bought my hario.  It looks very good, even slimmer than the hario slim.
                        The only "problem" I have with Hazbeans Porlex is that it is made of stainless. Shiny stainless. Out camping, in the heat with slightly damp hands - it tends to spin in the hand when beans "jam". The Hario is mildly textured and works significantly better in this regard. The other thing for me (I have large-ish hands) is that the Hario fits my hands better.

Having said all that, Id rather have my PeDe grinder - and it is the same age as me!

/Kevin

Comment

Supply of the Slim is good, but the only Skerton grinders around will be sitting in shops- if they have any stock remaining. Looking like at least 2 months until supply resumes. We have a couple left.

Comment

Originally posted by 78797E330 link=1327036659/11#11 date=1327265143
                            Having said all that, Id rather have my PeDe grinder - and it is the same age as me!
                            Speaking of which, theres a question Ive been wondering for awhile - do you have to change any burrs on antique grinders?
                            Or are they just that good?

Comment

Originally posted by 545154555D50380 link=1327036659/13#13 date=1327274435
                              Speaking of which, theres a question Ive been wondering for awhile - do you have to change any burrs on antique grinders?
                              Or are they just that good?
                              The one I bought has sharp (steel) burrs.  The Hazbeans have a very (as in crazily ) large collection of these things and most of them seem to be good and sharp.  I presume this has something to do with the speed at which they grind.  The burrs on the old hand grinders are extremely aggressive - if you put them in an electrically powered grinder itd need a big motor!

I suspect the only thing that kills the old hand grinders is rust or the bearings dying. 

/Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X