Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"National Kitchen Equipment" Grinder (uncannily similar to Mazzer Kony). thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "National Kitchen Equipment" Grinder (uncannily similar to Mazzer Kony). thoughts?

Does anyone have any thoughts on:
    non-sponsor commercial link removed
    Spec and visually it is very similar to the mazzer Robur,

Kony is 350w, NKE is 360W

Both have 63mm conical burrs

Kony has 1.3kg hopper, NKE has 1.2kg

Visually very similar, though the NKE seems to have a different dosser and a slightly different shape.Near identical.

Mazzers are made in Italy, which has me wondering if his is a Chinese copy.

Does anyone know anything about them?

The NKE is about $1500 cheaper so Id just about be willing to buy one. My worry is if the hoppers and burrs are cross compatible with the Mazzers. Mazzer replacement hoppers, burrs and dosers (all of which are found to need replacing eventually) are readily available.

Thoughts?

Re: "National Kitchen Equipment" Grinder (uncannily similar to Mazzer Kony). thoughts?

Unless you are either 6 years old, grind 10 pounds of coffee a day, or grind up a really hard stone or a paper clip through, a set of Kony burrs is liable to last more than a lifetime. I think that if you examine the upper burr mount and compare it side-by-side to a Kony you will see why a Kony costs what it does.

The benefit of a quality set of large, conical burrs comes from precision-machined parts that align the burrs precisely, and motor bearings as well as an upper burr carrier that hold the burrs in alignment in all planes.

This morning I pulled the first double and it was just a tad harsh behind the flavor. I adjusted the Kony less than .5 of a marked division on the adjustment hash marks and the flavor of the second double was brilliant.

It would be interesting to see if that Chinese grinder can approach that. The Kony is a precision tool.

Comment

Re: "National Kitchen Equipment" Grinder (uncannily similar to Mazzer Kony). thoughts?

To answer my own question: its Chinese. I used my google-fu

But I have no idea if the parts are cross compatible

non-sponsor commercial link removed

Edit: Not sure why the above link was removed because it was just the manufacturers website, not an online store. I cant for the life of me remember their name now

I should point out that the chinese are actually very capable o making good stuff when they want to- its just that most "made in china" products that we see were deliberately made cheaply at the request of the parent company

iphones for example are chinese made. For certain things they actually make the best-in-the-world

Comment

Mmmmm...... I think using the iphone as an example of chinese quality is in itself rubbish, Apples mass marketing along with its flooding the market with advertising and advertising spin aloud it to gain gross market share. Heres my bridge..... mazzer has gained market share through quality quality quality, I have a six year old SJ. and I have some to realize I should have bight one long ago. Buy chinese when you want to be disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by 2D30223F450 link=1327557977/2#2 date=1327561984
          I should point out that the chinese are actually very capable o making good stuff when they want to- its just that most "made in china" products that we see were deliberately made cheaply at the request of the parent company
          it is nowhere near that simple. When a manufacturer has a Chinese company produce their products they have to specify the grade and quality of every single part down to the allow and hardness of every screw. If they do not, the Chinese factory will build it with the cheapest thing that works. They work on fractions of a cent per part/unit there.

Here is the US we got wallboard (plasterboard) that had mercury in it! Childrens toys with lead? Dog food containing a Chinese component that contained oleum(?) because it raised protein levels under lab tests cheaper than a quality protein but killed dogs. So go ahead, trust that grinder... Not me.

Comment

Um, out on a stretch here but Im finding this thread a bit racist...

Just because right now, I am really feeling sorry for those few chinese manufacturers who make decent products.

Comment

I was not at all being racist. My brother was an executive for a company that makes massage chairs- high end stuff (I have one and it sells for around $4000 USD). They were constantly dealing with the manufacturing facility in China who would change design and parts without authorization. I had to replace the major control component (the entire back assembly containing all the electronic boards, sensors, and massage mechanism) twice before the updated ones with motors made to the designers specs came through so it wouldnt keep shutting down.

As far as the (alleged) Kony knock-off, seeing (and tasting) is believing, but at this point I find it impossible to believe that it is made with the sort of precision that a "real" Kony proves and puts into the cup everytime I use it. And BTW, mine was used by around 6 people in heavy testing and mailed all over the us, one to another, before I got it.

The knockoff might serve a home user, but as I stated, I would believe it if I got to use it for a while, and not until.

Comment

This is a photo of the grinder in question

Sorry I dont see any similarities to a Kony except in the specified burr size

What if I was to say to you
                A Mitsubishi Colt is a fantastic car
                It has 4 cyl
                Has great fuel economy  ect ect

Then the question is "  compared to what "
                There are several cars better and some not as good

Some designs can get more out of the same specs
                It depends on how its put together

KK

Comment

I think the designs do look similar, and they do have similar paper specs.
                  Surely there must be compromises in materials based off the difference in price.

Comment

Lets open a book...

Which is most likely to be operating in 10 years when operated at the capacity of the Mazzer? Any aspiring bookies want to offer some odds?  :-?

Seems Chinese built cars are not so popular here either and their ANCAP results are interesting reading....

Sometimes, you do get exactly what you pay for!

Comment

I think the manufacturer is HeyCafe. I remember a similar one was up for sale in the FS/W section last year. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1318396622/13

Comment

For a start.....If the grinder in question is the same as the one depicted, its not conical and has 64 mm (or 63? cant remember) planar grinding burrs.

I spoke to the manufacturer in November and he didnt at that time have a conical coming along, so I think there is some misunderstanding happening here.

Above you have been given sage advice and here is some more. If you cant afford the more expensive grinder dont buy it. If you can afford the grinder in question think seriously about spending the same money on an Italian grinder instead.

Dont fall into the trap, through reading these forums, of getting wound up to wish for more than is required to get an excellent cup of coffee for your situation. If you are a domestic end user, the best value for money in Oz at the moment for people into "good" coffee is the Compak K3T PUSH with 58 mm grinding burrs (if that is important to you). You could also buy a bigger capacity grinder (bigger burrs) if you wish but will it do anything for you? What is your level of experience with coffee? Do you drink black or white coffee, can you cup coffee and pick differences and nuances and are you interested in that? Are you a coffee "head", or do you just want to make a couple of lar-tays in the morning before rushing off to work?  ie in the end, are you sure there is any value (to you) in what you seem to be chasing?

Just playing the devils advocate, and for my money......do the right thing and buy a good grinder locally in Australia. Make it a clear headed purchase rather than an emotional one because, emotional purchases often enough turn into nightmares.

Comment

You could always try the route I travelled and "look/wait for a bargain"  I snapped up an incredibly old Super Jolly thats only flaw was a slightly banged up hopper and 20 years worth of paint damage.  I have rebuilt it at $0 cost so far and Im going to give it a coat of paint in the colour I want and look into a hopperless mod to stop the wastage.

The machine runs fantastic for something that was directly imported from Italy, but more important after playing and modding the machine itself is so simple anyone could repair one almost regardless of the state its in! 

I love the Mazzer grinders for the simplicity and amazing build quality! No one lied when they said they were built like tanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X