Imat Conical Burr Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imat Conical Burr Grinder

Hi all. Any comments on this grinder? http://www.chiasso.co.nz/products/homemachines/chiasso_conical_burr_grinder
    Thanks

Re: Imat Conical Burr Grinder

Its one of a multitude of rebranded versions of the Nemox Lux with a plastic top burr carrier.

The Breville offers better value in this price bracket.

Comment

Thanks for that.
      Cheers

Comment

Noisy.

Based on the Lux burr set which has a good reputation for results in the cup and has stood the test of time, but the noise from the reduction gears is fearsome (although mine (now relegated to non-espresso duties) is 10yo and is probably worse than when new).

They are sold under many names with varying wrapping and features - some have step-less adjustment which may be worth looking for.

What are you pairing it with?

Comment

Originally posted by 045B43555E5559505053535B5758360 link=1327779444/1#1 date=1327782843
          The Breville offers better value in this price bracket.
          It depends on what the barista values in a grinder. If its:
          * quality in the cup
          * metal body
          * proven in the field for years

then dont disregard such a grinder because another grinder has a bigger "feature" set - especially if the the barista isnt particularly interested in those features ...

charlie

Comment

If as a barista you value waking up you neighbors due to the noise a lux can produce then go ahead. This grinder is regularly rated lower than a sunbeam grinder

Comment

Originally posted by 426368686F75060 link=1327779444/5#5 date=1327812764
              If as a barista you value waking up you neighbors due to the noise a lux can produce then go ahead. This grinder is regularly rated lower than a sunbeam grinder
              If your lux grinder is waking the neighbours, you could consider upgrading to a thicker grade of nylon on your tent ;D

Comment

Ive owned both. One is still going strong (purchased 1995) the other needed a shim set after six months & was out of alignment after a year or so (unusable). Guess which is which.

Comment

Originally posted by 654B5242786F48525442270 link=1327779444/7#7 date=1327829521
                  Ive owned both. One is still going strong (purchased 1995) the other needed a shim set after six months & was out of alignment after a year or so (unusable). Guess which is which.
                  Newsflash - the unit you bought in 1995 is not the same as that which can be bought today. Your other grinder came with warranty. You should use it.

Anyone who doesnt recognize that the lux is noisy...well, I guess my industrial deafness isnt as bad as I thought. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 5A7B7070776D1E0 link=1327779444/5#5 date=1327812764
                    Probably depends on what you rate - didnt the Lux do reasonably well against a Robur in the Titan Grinder Project?

Comment

Yes- but I did read plenty of other questionable content in that article. In the real world, its no mini letalone a robur. Im more than happy to volunteer my Robur is somebody with a Lux would like to have a real world crack.

There is plenty of seemingly authoritative stuff about espresso machinery in the cloud. Though it may get dragged up avery few months to make a point, it doesnt make it fact.

Comment

Yes thats true. So I wonder why Ive never seen a lux in a cafe in preference to a robur? :P

Comment

Originally posted by 7E5F545453493A0 link=1327779444/11#11 date=1327871687
                          So I wonder why Ive never seen a lux in a cafe in preference to a robur?
                          Perhaps quality in the cup and capacity/duty cycle are different dimensions?  And the noise. ;D

Then again - I wonder if CRA sold any of these

Comment

Working...
                          X