EM 0480 - tinkering is bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM 0480 - tinkering is bad...

Last week, I opened up the top of my Sunbeam to see if it had ever been cleaned out and to see if I could tighten the espresso grind. I noticed the lower burr sat a little loose. I shuffled and got the thing back together and carried on my merry way.

After grinding something coarse for a co-worker, I found I couldnt get the fine grind back that I had been enjoying. Hrmm...

So, I opened it again, got the screwdriver out and took off the collar so I could play with the lower burr. Shim set? Whats a shim set? 2-play al foil cut to match the washer to raise it just that fraction.

Still, the shaft itself is whats wobbly. I didnt know how to get at that and make it sit properly and I didnt want to wreck the machine by digging deeper, so I cleaned out old grinds and put it all back together again, taking care to get the burrs sitting as close as I could.

Ground something and was happy it was VERY fine, then poured something exquisite (even at only 24 hrs off roast).

My concern: what with the wobbly shaft and the Sunbeams inability to hold the grind, perhaps I had better use something else to grind coarse for plunger and not touch the grind settings AT ALL.

Can someone comment on this or on a possible fix to the wobbly shaft problem?

Serving Royalty
    keeps me from getting a big head.

Re: EM 0480 - tinkering is bad...

I have a 0450, which I believe has the same motor/gearbox/etc.

When you pull the Sunbeams apart and clean them, the grind number always varies, I dont know why.

However, the wobbly shaft is because the plain bearing below the lower burr is worn. Its a 12 ID x 17 OD x 12 long sintered bronze bush. You have to pull the whole thing apart to get at it. If youre mechanically minded its not too bad a job. The bearing is located in the top of the gearbox. Theres a ball thrust bearing between it and the burr. You have to disassemble the gearbox, then punch the bearing out (upwards, as the unit normally stands).

I have no idea if replacement parts are available from Sunbeam. Standard bronze bushes from, say Blackwoods, seem to be 12x16 or 12x20. So you may have to get one specially made.

Mine has the same problem, and Im going to wait until the coffees bad enough to make me buy a new grinder.

Gonzo

Comment

Thanks, Gonzo. Better the devil you know than the one you dont. I will wait as well, then.

Comment

When I had a 0480, I read about a wobbly shaft fix on this forum. You need to tinker around with tape, piece of wood etc and probably not worth the effort if youre using the EM3500.

But how do you knwo its a fine grind / wobbly shaft issue? And what sort of basket are you using with your current machine? Is it just stock double wall basket?

I reckon use the 0480 until you feel like splurging on an upgrade. I did the same and havent looked back - you get a lot more control, better quality extractions, and less static (in my case, I went with a mazzer mini and didnt have any static issues) than the EM0480.

Comment

Thanks Special pants. With the help of an angle grinder (and appropriate PPE), I have removed the crema-enhancing wall on the double basket of my em3500. It didnt come with a single basket - sigh...

Its either the wobbly shaft or the cheap plastic that keeps the burrs from staying where they belong. My vote is the shaft, but it seems as though its too much trouble to fix.

The grind is fine (both small and good), as long as I dont turn the dial. If I get it off, I have to pull it apart, blow out any coffee bits and then set it back together, eye-balling the gap between the burrs until Im satisfied that its fine enough - then I pop the hopped back on.

Too detailed?

Comment

first off I agree with most all above. when grinding after either tinkering OR doing courser grind try returning to your previous preferred setting by adjusting from below that preferred setting! ie usually grind for espresso on say 11 do a foreign order for a mates plunget at 18 So adjust back to 11 by first going to 8 or similar and then up to 11.
            All about the slack in the poor quality plastic lower burr cage. Will find similar posts on here from earlier times confirming this workaround overcomes slack ((?) unfair ) / low cost design (correctomundo 8-) ) cheers

Comment

yes plastic housing, see this post http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1138058473/300

reply #331 and #337 for the problem I had with this housing

Comment

Cool. Nice fix on that!!!! Im not so anxious to dig into mine far enough to repair. Ill rob a bank and buy a Mazzer Mini first.

Coffee Snob, maybe. Engineer, definitely not!

Comment

Hello! I am having the same problem as ServingRoyalti had. Thankfully, I got some great suggestions here. I hope more discussions will further help me. Thanks!

Comment

Like many others on this forum, I found my EM0480 not to be grinding fine enough. I used to have it set on zero setting to get a fine enough grind for good espresso shots. However, I stumbles across the sunbeam procedure (on the forum) for adding another washer - shim kit - to fix the problem of the course grind. I simply used a small, robust and slightly thicker brass washer (less noble metal) to help lessen the gap between the burrs. The result??? Superb. My grinder now sits permanently between setting 18 and 22 depending on the age of the roast (about 16 or less and I am making a dust that chokes my little EM6910). As I drink pretty much exclusively espresso based drinks it is perfect for me. It is elsewhere on the forums about this servicing but I have attached it for those who are interested. As I said, made all the difference to my grinders fine tuning and adjustability.
                    Regards, Mariner.

Comment

Working...
                    X