Aldi Burr Grinder $30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldi Burr Grinder $30

Its onsale Wednesday. Aldi had a $30 grinder last year but it was blade and who wants blades!

Automatic Coffee Grinder 120W
    17 finess settings
    Removable burr grinding wheels for easy cleaning
    Coffee bean container, Coffee grounds container
    Electric timer for up to 12 cups
    Grinds up to 100g of coffee beans

Re: Aldi Burr Grinder $30

Likely to be not fine enough for Espresso, I think I remember seeing these and thinking they have the same burrs as the Sunny EM0430.

Course Grind Only

Comment

Havent seen one and am happy to stand corrected when someone takes a look, but I think you will find that as a "total package", it wont be suitable for the type of use people in this forum will want to put it to.

There is more to it than just fine / coarse, and if this grinder is modelled on others in even the slightly higher price bracket, I would expect the adjustment scale will be inadequate, the burrs may well have quite a different profile to what you would expect from cafe type grinders, and together you may find these design features result in an inconsistent grind that contains a mixture of both fines and coarse particles. So even if you could go "fine enough" for pump driven espresso, the brew will be an average of over and underextracted  coffee from the mix of grinds, leading to quite a crappy brew in a good coffee machine.

In any case whether my proposition is correct or not, I would be suspicious of the capability of a $30.00 grinder for anyone in this group. 

So....dont get too excited 

You are better off with a $500.00 grinder, and a $99.00 coffee machine

Comment

Yeah I had some horrible breville burr grinder, it created dust as well as grinds. Because of the dust it was useless.

Comment

At $30 its as cheap or cheaper than a blade whizzer. Somebody has to get one to see if it is better.... even if its for coarse grind only - any volunteers? :

Comment

On second thoughts I have just read some adverse comments on another forum - not going to bother even looking

Comment

I dont know about this grinder but I do know that Aldi eletrcisl goods are generally of poor quality. I bought an Aldi kettle once and it leaked water out of the bottom. Other Aldi electrical goods Ive bought have had similarly short lives. Made In China, says it all. Im not getting excited about this at all. :

Comment

Inappropriate for an espresso machine. We got one at work today to complement the old Gaggia Classic in the office, in the hope it would replace the ol faithful but slow, wooden Tre Spade. Even at the finest setting, the coffee in the Aldi grinder comes out in granules.

Back it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 615542544F78644841414242270 link=1330232002/2#2 date=1330236458

There is more to it than just fine / coarse, and if this grinder is modelled on others in even the slightly higher price bracket, I would expect the adjustment scale will be inadequate, the burrs may well have quite a different profile to what you would expect from cafe type grinders, and together you may find these design features result in an inconsistent grind that contains a mixture of both fines and coarse particles. So even if you could go "fine enough" for pump driven espresso, the brew will be an average of over and underextracted  coffee from the mix of grinds, leading to quite a crappy brew in a good coffee machine.
                  Fresh_coffee has it exactly right. I picked one of these up last night and the mix of grinds is terrible - on finest grind setting a mix of dust and very coarse grind.
                  $30 is too much to pay for this grinder.

Comment

For thirty bucks what do you expect,.pay for coal dont expect diamond

Comment

Originally posted by 1702120F010408050104600 link=1330232002/9#9 date=1330549422
                      For thirty bucks what do you expect,.pay for coal dont expect diamond

The process to get diamond from coal is high heat and high pressure...maybe some gorilla tamping and up the brewhead temperature! ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Hercules doing the tamping and Satan firing up the brew head couldnt fire up this contraption. I too thought this would be worth a punt to use on the work machine. Fortunately Aldi have a no questions ask return policy. Nice knowing you for 22 hours.

Comment

DO NOT BOTHER with this grinder

I bought and returned it within 24hrs......

On the finest setting, with double tamping, 60ml poured thru a double shot in less than 10sec.Taste was bad, after 6 attempts I put it back in the box.

Looking at the grinding wheels they were about 35mm and just could not grind fine enough, plus were quite warm some 10min after use.

I was looking to buy a small travelling grinder, any suggestions?

Comment

The diameter of the grinding plates (burrs) is not relevant if the grinder is only going to be subject to little use. Its the profile of the plates that counts.

Probably a "best buy" for an electric "travelling grinder" would be the sunbean em450, but it isnt that small.....what about a lux grinder? And for a really serious "travelling" grinder, the Eureka Mignon because of its small size while delivering cafe quality grinds.

Depends on what method you want to use to make the coffee while travelling. If using a pump driven espresso machine certainly the above suggestions.....otherwise what about a good hand grinder?

Comment

If this grinder isnt acceptable for esspresso range, would it be a applicable to a french press? I would be quite happy paying $30 for a plunger grinder... Also, to those who used it, how loud is it?

Spose I should also add, is it still available?

Comment

Working...
                              X