Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K3T blocking up

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and bought the grinder Ive been wanting for ages. Was going to go for the K3P, but the supplier had an excess of K3Ps, so I got it for the same price.

However, it seems to be having issues. The obvious thing is to take it back and get them to have a look at it, but finding the time for that is the only issue. It grinds perfectly on the coarser settings, but when I dial it down finer, the exit chute starts to block up, and doesnt discharge the grinds. A clean with a toothbrush gets it moving again. However, then it decides that it doesnt want to brush the grinds out at all. By looking up the chute, I can see the burrs moving, and can hear the beans grinding, but no grounds...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Re: Compak K3T blocking up

[QUOTE=143126393468500 link=1330922727/0#0 date=1330922727]........ I can see the burrs moving, and can hear the beans grinding, but no grounds... quote]

Sounds like you are setting the grinder too fine, and is not unheard of with new owners trying to dial in the grinder. Beyond a certain finess adjustment, the beans cant be drawn in between the plates, and they just cavitate around in the top collar of the grinder.

Otherwise without seeing, cant comment further.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E6A7D6B70475B777E7E7D7D180 link=1330922727/1#1 date=1330924871
      Sounds like you are setting the grinder too fine, and is not unheard of with new owners trying to dial in the grinder. Beyond a certain finess adjustment, the beans cant be drawn in between the plates, and they just cavitate around in the top collar of the grinder.

Otherwise without seeing, cant comment further.
      Yeah... This is what I thought the problem was also. I suppose Ill run some more beans through it and try to get it sorted. Thanks for your help! Ill let you know how it all turn out.

Comment

one more thing, the K3 seems to be really finicky when adjusting it finer, its really a good suggestion to have the grinder running when youre making adjustments, else it clogs up rapidly

I seem to have most of my adjustment range within five degrees of having the dot in front however, you dont need much movement to change the fineness from too course to way too fine

Comment

I definitely experienced the same sort of issues when I moved from the 0480 to the K3T.

Super fresh beans could also be in play (especially if youre burning through beans when playing with a new toy!), but I found it took a few kgs of scratchy performance before I got a decent balance between fineness and blockages/clumping.

Felt to me like the burrs settled/wore in over time - but thats with no technical knowledge to back it up.

That said, I still grind into the 0480 container as its clumpy and a little messy, its not like fine dry grinds are shooting out of the thing.

Comment

Ive just made my first purchase in the "pointy end" with a Giove II and a K3T. I too am having difficulty in getting the grind right. I felt it was too course and had very short pours <10sec, with no/very little crema, so I went finer and then the grinder just blocked. I had to pour all the beans out and put it on a very course setting to get it cleared out again. I now suspect that I went way too far (I moved the setting probably about 1-1.5 cms and it sounds like i will have to be adjusting in mm instead!) I will have to give this another go when I get home.

Comment

So the K3T is fixed, finally. Just to wrap this thread up, and for anyone who finds this thread from a search. It was grinding too fine. I think my biggest problem was I was adjusting the grind too much at a time. This was affected by how tight the top burr was. Its seemed to loosen up a bit (as expected) and now I can make the minor adjustments I need! So I thought I would conclude with a photo of the first coffee made with my new grinder.

Comment

Working...
              X