Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder noise levels - K3, Mazzer Mini, Macap M4

Hey guys,

Getting my Silvia tonight and then going to get a grinder ASAP.

A reasonably big factor for me is noise levels. I sometimes get up 4 or more hours before my housemates, and I feel pretty bad when I turn the grinder on.

I currently have an em0450. How would the K3, Mazzer Mini and Macap M4 compare to the em0450 in sound levels? I think the K3 looks the most appealing to me at the moment, but if theres a very quiet grinder in a similar quality range, Ill maybe go for that.

Thanks
    James

Re: Grinder noise levels - K3, Mazzer Mini, Macap M4

First up, I have no experience of the others, sorry, others may have better info, but as a recent K3T user I was pleasantly surprised by the noise levels, especially coming from a blade whizzer.

Comment

Id be very surprised if there was a quieter grinder in the over $500 range. The K3 I have is much quieter then the last grinder I had, but that was just engine noise

the Lux burrset I had before (em0360) was especially noisy when running without beans, With beans it was a cacophony

with the K3, the motor is a near silent hum in comparison, There is some bean noise, but it is definitely quieter

Id imagine that the noise of the beans going through the Burr set decreases with the size of said burrs (Robor might be one of the quietest out there)

Comment

Cant say which one is makes the least noise but I have my Macap sitting on neoprene mouse pad, it helps a bit.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 55777677180 link=1330988900/3#3 date=1330992498
          I have my Macap sitting on neoprene mouse pad, it helps a bit.
          I do a similar thing, I have a sheet of wet suit neoprene approx 6mm thick, and cut 4 small discs from it and place them under the feet of my Mini Mazzer, quietens things down considerably, they compress over time and need replacing every couple of months.
          My son in law is an early starter with a young family, he has his Rocky set up in a cupboard and closes the door while grinding, this reduces noise to a barely audible level and disturbs no one.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks folks, great advice.

Ill be purchasing the K3 momentarily, and start scouting for something neoprene to sit it on as well

Comment

Hand grinder?

I have a Macap and i find it grinds quick compared to my old Rocky, so definitely a bonus.

Comment

I bought a K3T. Very excited!

Comment

Working...
                X