Should I "upgrade" my old rossi grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I "upgrade" my old rossi grinder

Hey might seem a weird question as the rossi  is a commercial grinder and i would most likely be considering a non commercial grinder as a replacement but heres the deal:

I got this thing for free about 4 months ago from a local barista to go with my silvia (burrs were recently changed) and the only thing that really bothers me (apart from the fact that its massive) is that it has a doser meaning I waste a noticeable amount of coffee and also it seems to hold a decent amount of ground coffee in the burrs not to mention in the doser...

So what I was wondering was if I should put up with these aforementioned gripes (especially considering the cost...) or would it be worth while "upgrading" to something like a rocky doserless?

Cheers
    -Marty

Re: Should I "upgrade" my old rossi grinder

Welcome to CS.

You would be wasting your money, except there are some positives eg going to a smaller / lower lump on your kitchen bench. Depends entirely on your own individual point of view (opinion).

WRT quote"...the only thing that really bothers me ... is that it has a doser meaning I waste a noticeable amount of coffee and also it seems to hold a decent amount of ground coffee in the burrs not to mention in the doser..."

Learn how to manage the grinder and it wont be an issue. Firstly, dont use it as a "doser" a la food outlet coffee vendor. Secondly, those of us that use cafe sized doser grinders at home will usually only put enough beans in there for the required number of coffees, meaning that there is no coffee left in the grinder after use. OR....every time you go to reuse the grinder, first switch on and let it grind out a small amount of coffee that would have been retained within the plates and in the exit shute.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Totally agree with Fresh Coffee here (as always I must admit).

Downgrading your grinder is throwing money away.

Learn to use your doser in the home situation - just keep thwacking away on the lever as you grind - it breaks up any clumps and lets you dose precisely what you want without wasting any coffee.

As to wasting coffee grinds in the burr section of the grinder - as Fresh Coffee says again - you can just put in the amount of beans youre using and avoid that loss, or accept the loss if you like to keep some beans in the hopper by purging a small amount before each session. Its wasting a few cents each session, rather than wasting hundreds on downgrading your grinder.

Comment

Hey thanks heaps for the replies and advise fresh_coffe and pavoniboy - pretty much conformed what I was thinking so thats good (especially for my wallet!). Ive been really happy with the grind of the Rossi and have been doing a couple of things similar to what you mentioned to manage the doser like using a small paintbrush to help get all the ground coffee out. I have only being grinding enough for my shots but I had been putting more coffee into the hopper so Ill try measuring out my bean dose better

Comment

Working...
        X