clear bean hopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear bean hopper

I am still waiting for my EM0480 to arrive. But I have had a thought. In the picture it looks like the hopper is clear, so I assume its a bad idea to leave large quantities of beans in there unless using them immediately?
    I have some automotive "tinting" spray paint called night shadez and was thinking that it may be a good idea to spray a few coats of that on the outside to protect the beans from light.
    What do you guys who have clear bean hoppers do?

Re: clear bean hopper

No need, the EM0480 hopper is tinted/smoked anyway. its not as dark as some, but Im pretty sure its not clear.

Not sure if there are any grinders on the market that have Clear hoppers...

Comment

Originally posted by 466B7F6D6263646D4B7E4C6B7E6F0A0 link=1332063221/1#1 date=1332063721
      Not sure if there are any grinders on the market that have Clear hoppers...
      my Compak K3T has a clear short hopper.. dont know about the standard hopper..

Comment

my K3 Elite has a clear hopper. I only ever have a couple of days worth of beans in it and the rest in a sealed bag with a one way valve.

Comment

All commercial Mazzers and Compaks have clear hoppers. Easier than having to stare at the grinder to determine if it is full or not.

Comment

One of the things that confuses me too.

Scotty Callahan in his videos is forever filling the hopper so that it puts pressure on the beans in the grinder and it grinds evenly but then you balance that against advice to keep only a couple of days beans in the hopper.

Comment

Originally posted by 45607768655630383731010 link=1332063221/5#5 date=1332116147
              One of the things that confuses me too.

Scotty Callahan in his videos is forever filling the hopper so that it puts pressure on the beans in the grinder and it grinds evenly but then you balance that against advice to keep only a couple of days beans in the hopper.
              My Mazzer hopper is always empty and the chute area brushed out, until I dump the 18 grams of beans in for the coffee Im currently making, works fine for me.

Comment

Im roasting beans in 250g batches and I normally dump the lot in the hopper when Im ready to drink em. Only lasts a few days.

Comment

Re: Compak K3-short hopper...

as a certain Homer Simpson once said "doh!"

I should have realised that yes, certain commercial hoppers are indeed clear. Certainly my K3 has one.

My apologies for getting it wrong.

I need more coffee... 

Additional, Why is it that some insist on the tinting (the blue of Bezzera, and the dark brown tint that some other grinder manufacturers use come to mind) and others do not? is there a real purpose to having the tint on a grinder or is it somewhat cosmetic?

Comment

Originally posted by 735E4A58575651587E4B795E4B5A3F0 link=1332063221/8#8 date=1332124584
                    Additional, Why is it that some insist on the tinting (the blue of Bezzera, and the dark brown tint that some other grinder manufacturers use come to mind) and others do not? is there a real purpose to having the tint on a grinder or is it somewhat cosmetic?
                    I always thought the tinting was for a purpose. EG: UV protection. However, I could be wrong.

Comment

For me the brown or blue tinting means the OH would never allow it in her kitchen. So 1970s color scheme apparently  :-X

Comment

Working...
                      X