K3 touch auto settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K3 touch auto settings?

Hello all, I recently purchased a K3 touch doserless and am very confused as to how to get the auto settings to work?

I have the switch on the auto setting, however when I try to grind a set dose the lever acts like a pulse setting and stops when I take the basket off. I had thought it was one touch for single dose and two for double.
    Also there is no dial under the machine to adjust the grind time, just a hole.  :-?
    Am I doing something wrong or is this function for a different model??

Re: K3 touch auto settings?

Originally posted by 42464C44402F0 link=1332219415/0#0 date=1332219415
    Hello all, I recently purchased a K3 touch doserless and am very confused as to how to get the auto settings to work?

I have the switch on the auto setting, however when I try to grind a set dose the lever acts like a pulse setting and stops when I take the basket off. I had thought it was one touch for single dose and two for double.
    Also there is no dial under the machine to adjust the grind time, just a hole.  :-?
    Am I doing something wrong or is this function for a different model??
    Sounds like a K3 Push to me

Comment

Dont know whats wrong but this is what the manual says.

Comment

Originally posted by 6055585F6B775B52525151340 link=1332219415/1#1 date=1332222263
        Sounds like a K3 Push to me
        Ahhhhh..... thank you. I am a spaz.  :-[ 
        I wasnt aware there was a "push" version! So no timed option as opposed to the touch. Looks to have the exact same housing with the little one and two cup pictures next to the lever and the plus/minus icons at the bottom but is minus this feature.
        No worries, I shall eyeball the amount! I have just started my adventure into espresso making this morning! Easy to learn the steps, but hard to master the taste!
        Thanks for the help guys 

Comment

Originally posted by 45414B4347280 link=1332219415/3#3 date=1332225602
          hhhh..... thank you. I am a spaz. Embarrassed
          I wasnt aware there was a "push" version! So no timed option as opposed to the touch. Looks to have the exact same housing with the little one and two cup pictures next to the lever and the plus/minus icons at the bottom but is minus this feature.
          No worries, I shall eyeball the amount! I have just started my adventure into espresso making this morning! Easy to learn the steps, but hard to master the taste!

FWIW Micko, Ive got the K3 Touch and have never used the auto option.
          Cheers
          BOSW

Comment

I tried using the auto setting on my K3T but found it not as useful as I had hoped. I found that having the setting on the underside of the machine was a bit of a pain to adjust (I wonder how hard it would be to move the dial to a different location? while thinking about modifying the K3T has anyone ever attempted to install a fine adjustment screw?) and it was not as accurate as I had hoped. I have been mostly using it in manual mode and fill, knock down twice, fill, knock then sweep even across the top of the basket then tamp. You end up with a tiny amount of waste sometimes, but mostly you get good at stopping at the right point.

Comment

I agree 100% with Masuta. Use my K3 Touch the same way. Would also love a micro adjustment screw/knob and a better scale to index to. But then I am just learning at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A4640574E42270 link=1332219415/6#6 date=1333279757
                Would also love a micro adjustment screw/knob and a better scale to index to
                Re the scale...I have put a blank white name tag sticker around the top of the unit (immediately below the rotating collar). I use pen/pencil to mark the position of the collar handle thingy (ie the poky out bit which apparently houses a screw).

Comment

Thanks Barry. I did something similar on mine. Used two bits of white Dymo tape (one on the moving bit and one on the fixed body) and put my own scale on one of them and a reference mark on the other.

Comment

i also recently got a k3t. it took a bit of tweaking to get the timing right (the crappy little plastic dial on the bottom is a horror) but ive got it right now. i get a consistent 17g and dont waste much coffee. (as the pile gets to the top of the portalfilter a few grinds do bounce out ). i dont tap the portafilter. i just do a quick swipe around to level things nicely, tamp firmly, and pour. consistent shots on my silvia.

the part that had me worried is that the grind adjustment (not the timing adjustment) is loose. it has quite a lot of "give". but then the thing i found is that when youre grinding, it applies force that kicks it around to the coarse-side of the "give" holds it in place (only when the hopper+beans are there.. otherwise it moves freely while grinding)

a few "modifications" i did to mine:
                    - put a bit of tape on the bottom of the hopper, so that it sits tightly in its slot
                    - put a bit of tape on the grind adjustment so that i have a rough idea of where the espresso spot is
                    - put a bit of blue-tack behind the switch, so that it doesnt rattle
                    - put a loop of tape under the tray to attach it to the base (loosely), as it was also rattling

i went from em0450 to the k3t and im a happy customer. the tray (thing at the bottom for catching stray grounds) is almost useless... its so small. does anyone have any good techniques for catching stray grounds? im tempted to shape a plastic plate and sit it there when i grind.

also, does anyone have any good disassembly/cleaning instructions?

cheers,
                    james

Comment

I mostly put a piece of paper towel across the base. If it moves you can weigh it down with a couple of spoons or similar. Then at the end of the day, or when needed, I just dump the paper towel and waste grounds in the waste bin.
                      One day Ill mod a plastic tray or similar - I think!

Noel

Comment

Working...
                      X