RR45 adjust while on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR45 adjust while on

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. Ive read here for a while and really like this forum.

I just bought a second hand RR45 grinder without manual , i found information in a manual on espressoparts.com that i should have the grinder grind while making finer or coarser adjustment. So my question here is , if i really need to have the grinder grin while adjusting it?

Re: RR45 adjust while on

Yes, its best to make the adjustments when you are grinding - its more important when you are going finer than coarser.

Comment

Ok. then ill adjust it while grinding in the future. But what difference does it make?

Comment

Its just a way of minimising the resistance on the motor. You run the risk of jamming up the grinder if you make finer adjustments while it is off.

Comment

I have a couple of these grinders, and normally adjust the grind setting with the motor off.
          First of all, these have stepped adjustments, so once you find the appropriate setting, it is set and forget. I only tip in the beans that i will use for the shot, no beans are kept in the hopper. Hence it is easy to adjust with the machine off. I grind, dose and pull a shot. When dialing in a new bean i find you only have to adjust the grinder by one or two steps, at the most.
          Dose and distribution is far more important, and has a greater impact on the resulting pour. With this grinder you do not have to muck about playing with the grind settings, just concentrate on a consistent dose and technique.

As the beans age (after a few days, or even week), then i will adjust the setting accordingly.

These are big, simple commercial grinders that will last for a long time. Congratulations on getting one.

Comment

For the sake of specifics:

When the grinder is devoid of beans / grinds, you can adjust in either direction as much as you like without switching on the grinder.

When the grinder does have beans / grinds in you must switch on if the adjustment is expected to be a significant one in a finer direction.

On the other hand Fine adjustments (say 1 or 2 steps) can be made without the grinder on. If you want to adjust by more than 2 steps at a time, I would switch on the grinder or you run the risk of jamming it up.

If going more coarse, you do not need to switch on.

Hope that helps.

Comment

It seems like a stable grinder , i got it for 50 euros so i think it was a great price.

I will adjust it while grinding then as it seems to be safest. Do you guys know if its a standard hopper size so i can buy a smaller hopper to it?

I need to clean it also as it is alot of old coffee in it, is there anything i should think of before unscrew it?

Comment

Hi, jekoff.

Can you please shoot me through a copy of the manual? I have an RR45 too and the manual is missing.

Cheers
                Patrick

Comment

Hey Patrick,
                  Did you get a copy of the manual? I have a paper copy of the Instruction Manual (in Italian, Spanish, French, and yes English) and could scan it in if required.
                  Cheers,
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X