Not Sure If Grinder Is Acting Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Sure If Grinder Is Acting Up

I bought a bag of beans that were roasted on 3/16. They are high quality and were expensive. For some reason, I had make my grinder significantly finer. So significant I had to turn the wheel 2 inches to the right on my Compak K3 grinder. For new beans, I usually only have to have it 3 inches to the left(coarser) from where it is now.

My grinder is only like 3 months old. Is it the type of bean that is requireing a super fine grind or is my grinder starting to mess up?

Re: Not Sure If Grinder Is Acting Up

How does it taste?

If the shots are pouring of I would think its ok. There are lots of variables to grind. Humidity, age of beans, density of brand, roast etc.

I dont know the compac k3 I would think its the beans requiring a different grind and not anything to worry about. Unless the burrs are touching, but youd hear that

Comment

the shot tasted ok, but i wanted more flavor by making the initial pull....the dark stage....longer. i usually do this by making the grind slower.

i finally got it to a slow flow. i called the roaster and this guy said that the type of bean shouldnt require a different grind so it scared me.

Comment

There will be nothing wrong with your grinder (famous last words...)

You havent advised whether it is the same blend as usual, or a different blend or maybe even a different supplier.

I spend my whole life chopping and changing origins and blends at my profesisonal cupping station or if we want to get specific I do this several times each and every morning as part of my Q & A procedure both for my own and others roasts, and as stated by Ronin above "....There are lots of variables to grind. Humidity, age of beans, density of brand (blend), roast etc.....and....beans requiring a different grind and not anything to worry about...."

Also we have no idea as to your coffee making technique or how consistent it is and therefore cant make any comment on how far you would move the grinder setting each and every time a change is required.

I am sorry but the comment "...i called the roaster and this guy said that the type of bean shouldnt require a different grind so it scared me..." doesnt make sense. This type of bean doesnt require a different grind setting, relative to what? Is this a type of coffee bean that never requires a change in grind setting? If so, this coffee roaster has made a discovery that will make him famous and very very rich  ;D

Not trying to poke fun, just pointing out it is very difficult to give advice when it is based on information that doesnt make sense.

Comment

Ha ha density of brand.
          I did mean blend or bean.

I suppose a brand can be dense, or is that the people behind the brand :

Comment

hehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by 7B727E712828281F0 link=1332493995/0#0 date=1332493995
              So significant I had to turn the wheel 2 inches to the right on my Compak K3 grinder. For new beans, I usually only have to have it 3 inches to the left(coarser) from where it is now.
              Are you grinding while adjusting the collar? Or do you have a chute full of beans just sitting in there while you tighten?

Comment

Working...
              X