Mazzer mini - less messy alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer mini - less messy alternatives

I have had a Mazzer mini grinder for some time.  Over all  I am very happy with it.  The grinds are excellent and consistent.  The main issue that I have (well actually it is my wife that has the problem) with the unit is that it is messy.  It throws the grinds to the left and often drops them over the edge of the tray.  Hence the surrounding bench can get quite messy.  My wife is particularly not happy about this.

I have bough a plastic mod from the US to try and neaten things up.  However the mod did not work and probably makes things even more messy.

So my query - does any one know how to mod this machine to neaten up its use.  Alternatively could someone recommend an alternative grinder that would result in a much neater and tidier result, while still producing top quality results? 

I understand that doserless grinders produce neater results but I also read that they produce clumping. 

Does any one have any suggestions?  If there is a very good and neat alternative grinder I would be prepared to pay up to $1.5k (although less would be nice).
    Thanks
    cNc

Re: Mazzer mini - less messy alternatives

I use a half a paper cup slotted into my basket which acts as a funnel.. Once full pull out paper cup..

Or get a tray/plate larger than the foot print of your mazzer and place it under grinder.. Then all you need to do is wipe all stray grounds off your mazzer onto the tray then clean tray every few days..

Or maybe you could just wipe up the stray grinds after each use :-?

Comment

Hi cNc,

You could get something like this metal doser mod made up for you. It will improve, but not eliminate the mess. I keep a small, unused and dry paint brush around to sweep up stray grounds.

I owned a mazzer mini for a few years, and while they are excellent machines, they are a little messy.

I now own a Mahlkonig Vario Grinder. Theyre faster, quieter and MUCH neater than a mini. Theyre also much more compact if space is an issue. Ive also not had any clumping issues with it as theyre well grounded and I believe the ceramic burrs help eliminate clumping.

That sounds like an ad, but Im just genuinly pleased with it.

Comment

Before you splash out on a new grinder, you should try the paper mod (im not too what the plastic mod is). Theres a template on the internet somewhere...

You can also do the tape on sweeper mod and upside down shot glass mod - both of which make the doser a bit tidier without too much effort:

Comment

Schectermaatic from Schetermatic Laboratories is available here:
          http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/how-to-tame-messy-mazzer-doser-t6499.html

Comment

All coffee making equipment is messy, its only the degree of mess that changes from item to item, and you will be wasting your money to go from one grinder to another unless you have seen it in action and are convinced (on your own individual basis) that it is ever so much better than what you currently have.

I use a simple tray that has the lip at one end removed (actually....it was bought / made that way but you could make one the same by cutting one end off a normal tray, if you cant find one ready made).

At the end of each session brush off and around the grinder, lift the grinder slightly at the front, slide the tray out, empty out the "mess", slide the tray back into place.

The tray goes hand in hand with a couple of cheap paint brushes of different sizes.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I use a Portafilter funnel from Orphan espresso in the US, neat little device that works very well with the Mazzer Mini, not cheap but worth every cent.
              Re the Mazzer mess, a 10 second wipe down with a cloth after each session will solve the problem and keep the wife happy, no great chore.

Comment

Hi,
                I had the same issues with mine and sold it to buy a Macap M4D - I couldnt be happier with my choice
                Cheers
                Dr Dave

Comment

It might be worth thinking about your technique a bit before buying another grinder. I have the same plastic mod I think you refer to, a bit of a bugger to fit, but works. I also have the funnel Jon mentioned. Now with said plastic mod and said funnel in operation you should be able to dose into your basket, settle, and dose again (or whatever your technique is) then level of over the doser chamber (with lid off obviously) and not (in theory) have any loose grinds on the counter top.

Comment

Im not sure how far a Mazzer mini will fling grinds, but I solved a similar problem with my grinder by placing a sheet of paper towel over the catchment tray under the doser. It works pretty well because the sheet naturally curls up at the edges and catches the stray grinds nicely. Either tip out the mess and re-use the towel, or screw it up and bin it.

Obviously it wont eliminate the need for routine cleaning, but it reduces the daily mess considerably.

Comment

Hi guys,

Im a new member and this is my very first post.
                      Today, I have become a proud owener of Mazzer mini and Bezzera Magica.
                      I know there are more compact and equally capable grinders out there, but I just love the look and feel of Mazzer mini.  (Call me old fashioned...)
                      The only negative thing I noticed today was that a coffee grinder is messy. (This is my first coffee grinder)
                      I will certainly try the paper mod and if I have some time, I will fabricate the metal doser mod.
                      I was wondering if I can convert it to doserless, like the funnel on Mazzer mini electronic.  Has anyone try this?

Anyway, I had a few short blacks and my wife had a latte and we love it.  It was not perfect, but much better than what we had before....

I post the pictures of the machines, but Im thinking to relocate the machines closer to the sink.

Oh, Id like to say thank you to the site sponsor Di Bartoli who gave me a great deal on the machine and the grinder today.

Comment

Originally posted by 55706D6D757C6E70777E190 link=1332668622/10#10 date=1336218614
                        Today, I have become a proud owener of Mazzer mini and Bezzera Magica.
                        Very nice combination there LW, Bezzera make great machines, easy to use and beautifully built.
                        I have a Mazzer Mini, and find it more than adequate for my needs, sure they can get a little messy if you let things build up, however a quick wipe/brush down after each session keeps things nicely under control, the funnel from orphan espresso looks good and directs ground coffee into the PF and not all over the bench.

Comment

Mazzer Mini owner for 2.5 years. I find that a light action with the lever practically eliminates the issue of the grinds going everywhere. That and a small paintbrush for a cleanup inside the chute and grind chamber tidies things up. My paintbrush has a rubberised handle...protects the grinder and is one less source of noise when the household is asleep!

Comment

I know mine is a mazzer mini - e, but still can be adapted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sI3whEENGk&feature=youtube_gdata

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Hi Jon,
                              Thanks, I like the clean line and man eating snake logo of Bezzera.  I try to keep the cafe area clean, but I can notice the tiny bit of coffee grain on the white bench top.....

Hi MeanzBeanz
                              Yes, a paintbrush is on my shopping list among other things such as shot glasses, latte glasses, chocolate shaker, etc...

Hi InTheCup
                              Thanks for the video!  There are many tricks I can learn from the video.   
                              By the way, is that a cut off plastic cup? or special funnel you can buy?

Comment

Working...
                              X