Compak K3 Push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K3 Push

Hi has anyone seen or experienced the new K3 Push. I am very close to purchasing just wanted to get some feed back 1st. Would love to hear your thoughts everyone.

Re: Compak K3 Push

What do you mean by new? Is there a new model variant being released?

Comment

Originally posted by 21273B25203F23224C0 link=1335749554/1#1 date=1335751214
      What do you mean by new? Is there a new model variant being released?
      New = released in the last 6 months. It is the new model

coffeescotttaste- try a quick search >>>^^^ on K3P or K3 Push and you will dig up some other threads.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Nice grinders and very good value. You can take a look at our showroom. I know we definitely have both the platinum and polished aluminium K3Ts in the showroom, not sure about the black K3T P they could be out the back or awaiting stock.

They are all identical looking except for the colour.

Comment

I have the touch myself, essentially it is identical to the push apart from the timed switch

Grind retention is minimal, Its a solid machine, Im able to adjust the grind very smoothly,

Cleanup is a breeze, the little spout is spring loaded, so just gotta flick it and most of the ground coffee falls out, Just suck up the rest of the grounds from the neck with the vacuum cleaner every now and then.

The only issue I have is that its difficult to grind directly into my group handle, but thats easilly gotten around by using a small metal canister for the purpose.

Oh, and occasionally beans get caught in between the grind plate and the drive-shaft nut, but thats not really a major problem 8-)

Comment

Im looking to replace a BCG800 that was giving me trouble.

Is the K3p a neat grinder?

My fav points re the Breville are:
            1. doesnt trap grinds or result in wastage.
            2. No mess/doesnt need as regular cleaning as some others
            3. I can grind into a small glass hands free on timer and then dump into my pf.

Im looking for these features in a replacement.

What do people suggest?

for info the reason I returned my BCG800 was it was the 2nd I received that was showing metal-metal damage on the upper bur (and no I didnt have it too fine :P). I have another that is great but 2 attempts to get another one without this issue has frustrated me a bit.
            It seemed to struggle grinding and both made an obvious different high pitch noise to the 1 working BCG I own.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D47524F42494E53200 link=1335749554/5#5 date=1341112852
              Im looking to replace a BCG800 that was giving me trouble.

Is the K3p a neat grinder?

My fav points re the Breville are:
              1. doesnt trap grinds or result in wastage.
              2. No mess/doesnt need as regular cleaning as some others
              3. I can grind into a small glass hands free on timer and then dump into my pf.
              Im pretty sure the K3 push doesnt have a timed grind option, so youd need to to go for the otherwise identical K3 touch. There is some grind retention, but not a huge amount (1-2g?). How messy it is probably depends on your dosing method (I dont make much mess, but SWMBO manages to). See also:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1340608286/2

Comment

First run of my new K3P today.
                Took me 250g beans to get a shot that i was completely happy with, took me ages just to get in the ballpark having never used one before.
                Its solid, easy to use and adjust once the optimal adjustment area has been found. Its much quieter than I thought it would be to.
                Coming from a porlex hand grinder......the gap is large. 2 - 3min to grind my 18g now about 20sec.
                So much more depth and clarity, preservation of flavour and aroma.
                Going to have adjust my roasting slightly.

Comment

I have to agree Steve it made me take a look at how i roast. Before getting a K3 i owned a smart grinder. I wont say it hide the flaws in my roasts, but i have noticed that the K3 seems to highlight more characteristics. In terms showing flaws i have in it..

Chris

Ps it took me a while to dial mine in also, lucky i roast my own

Comment

Is it possible to mod a K3T to a K3P? Does anyone in Sydney do it?

Comment

You don't need to mod a K3T to a push as it has a 2 modes with it's power switch, either with the time or without, I don't even use the timed feature on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Roz View Post
                        You don't need to mod a K3T to a push as it has a 2 modes with it's power switch, either with the time or without, I don't even use the timed feature on mine.
                        Yep, that's correct, if the grinder is a normal 'Compak' badged K3T, sold in Australia. I'm pretty sure that the re-badged ones sold under different names (e.g. Wega) have the manual function, but starting/stopping grinding has to be operated via the toggle switch (not by pushing the portafilter agains the tongue). Similiarly, overseas variants of the K3T also seem to require the use of the toggle switch to start/stop grinding. I'm sure someone will correct me if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

I would be happy with a toggle switch on my K3T instead of or as well as the push tongue, it does not fill the portafilter evenly and tends to spill grinds over the back of the portafilter, I taped a small packer to the tongue of mine so the portafilter sits about 10mm out from the push tongue. If you have a Breville Smart Grinder and you change to a K3T you will notice it is a bit messier than the Breville

Comment

I find that the Orphan Espresso dosing funnel (about $25) has eliminated basically all spillage from my K3T (always used in manual mode). Talk Coffee also sells a flashier version of the dosing funnel (the 'coffee catcher' or similar), which also seems to do the trick.

Comment

CS member Yelta is currently doing a review of OE v Catcha. I'll be very keen to hear how he goes as I am yet to see the OE version.

Comment

Working...
                              X