Rocky vs K3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky vs K3

Hi all, I am the very pleased new owner of a Silvia and also a Rocky grinder.

Just wondering what your thoughts are of the Rocky vs the K3. The Rocky is actually new so was wondering if it was worth selling it and getting a second hand K3 instead.

I dont plan on upgrading the Silvia at any stage over the next 3-5 years (will see how that goes ) so only need a grinder to suit the Silvia.

Just pulled my first shot from the Silvia with grind from my Breville (BCG450 conical burr grinder) and it was horrible! Not sure if it was cause the grind was too course or my tamping skills need alot of work. Mind you, the plastic tamp is really horrible to try and tamp with as there is ALOT of room around it in the basket.

Re: Rocky vs K3

The second part of your post, The BCG450 is a horrible grinder that needs modifications to be anywhere near good enough for the Silvia (which is notoriously finicky about the grinder its paired with)

I would work with the Rocky first, find out how it works, and see if you can live with it before deciding on whether or not its worth upgrading. It is a solid machine, and long lasting too, itd more then last long enough for your planned next upgrade.

Oh, and Relegate the BCG450 to doing French press, its perfect for that

Comment

I use a Breville Smart Grinder BCG 800 with my BDB and get great results.

I also have a BCG 450 which I do not use for coffee. It makes a good door stop.

In other strings at this site several members have said they are using a Smart Grinder with their Silvias with good results and while I have not used a Rocky, the general feeling here is that the Smart grinder is superior. You may have to pay a lot more to get something better.

The SG can be bought for about $200. It is often said to buy the best grinder you can afford.

I suppose you stop upgrading when the money runs out.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 416C786A6564636A4C794B6C79680D0 link=1338121477/1#1 date=1338154690
        (which is notoriously finicky about the grinder its paired with)
        I disagree, there is nothing finicky about the Silvia, its a simple process to get the grind and dosing right, once you have it worked out the Silvia Rocky combo will produce excellent coffee and should give years of trouble free service.
        Cant comment on the Smart grinder, Ive never used one, however I owned and used a Rocky for many years and found it to be a very good machine.

Comment

Originally posted by 6C4F5C5C57716A5B404D4F402E0 link=1338121477/2#2 date=1338161814
          I use a Breville Smart Grinder BCG 800 with my BDB and get great results.

I also have a BCG 450 which I do not use for coffee. It makes a good door stop.

In other strings at this site several members have said they are using a Smart Grinder with their Silvias with good results and while I have not used a Rocky, the general feeling here is that the Smart grinder is superior. You may have to pay a lot more to get something better.

The SG can be bought for about $200. It is often said to buy the best grinder you can afford.

I suppose you stop upgrading when the money runs out.

Barry
          I disagree about this "general feeling" The general feeling seems to be that the Breville is barely adequate for espresso, with many people complaining of metal on metal crunching sounds when trying to grind for espresso. And it often needs to be modified out of the box.

The Silvia is no more finicky when it comes to grinders then any other non-appliance espresso machine. It just needs a real grinder.

I dont know of any grinders cheaper then the rocky that have a metal burr carrier.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies :-) I had no intention of using the Breville I owe with the Silvia, planning on selling both the Breville coffee appliances together on eBay.

So, basically wondering if I should sell my Rocky whilst its new and upgrade to a second hand K3.

From what I can tell from having a read through other posts etc. is that although the K3 is a beautiful grinder, I think the Rocky suits my needs at this time to use with the Silvia.

Here goes, going to open it up and give it a burl later today. HOW EXCITING!!!

PS. Had a wonderful little lesson on how to use my Silvia this morning from Steve (I think thats his name?) from Chosen Bean in FGully this morning. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by 427D707B77120 link=1338121477/5#5 date=1338173321

PS.  Had a wonderful little lesson on how to use my Silvia this morning from Steve (I think thats his name?) from Chosen Bean in FGully this morning.  Thank you 
              Be prepared for a "learning period" with Silvia.
              Hopefully Steve taught you how to gauge the correct brew temperature ( there are several possible ways),.. so that you get consistent results. It can be tricky.
              Search these forums or ask if you have problems.
              The Silvia really benefits from a PID upgrade ( or a temp gauge) to simplify the operation.

Comment

Be prepared for a "learning period" with Silvia.
                Hopefully Steve taught you how to gauge the correct brew temperature ( there are several possible ways),.. so that you get consistent results. It can be tricky.
                Search these forums or ask if you have problems.
                The Silvia really benefits from a PID upgrade ( or a temp gauge)  to simplify the operation.
                I would like to get a PID eventually but my budget got a little stretched when I bought a version 2 thinking that I was getting a 3 so had to pay for the upgrade for the steam wand.

As for the temp, Ive been following the temp surfing clips on FB for the Silvia. I presume thats what you mean?

Ive made a mess of this forum with two posts going on about the Silvia and then the Rocky Sorry.

Comment

My Rocky grinds really well for my Lelit which is similar price point to the Silvia (mine has a PID thank C...). My grind number is usually 9 and may go down to 8 when the brew passes through a bit too quickly. I think I have my Ps on these days so a lot to learn but no longer a complete novice but I can rip out some really nice lattes on demand. I dont store many beans in the Rocky , maybe a day or two of usage - the rest stay sealed away in a cool, dark spot.

Comment

Not planning on storing my beans in the grinder, only dosing what I will use for that shot as I switch beans throughout the day. Of course that would imply I need two grinders wouldnt it ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 7C64616174654E7C707F2726110 link=1338121477/4#4 date=1338167983
                      The general feeling seems to be that the Breville is barely adequate for espresso
                      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1334548476   
                      Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2012

Do buy the best you can afford. The Breville is good, the Compak K3P way better. In between are plenty of other good grinders.

With grinders, you really do get what you pay for. Both of those I mentioned punch above their weight in my opinion.

Good luck!

Chris
                      of Talk-Coffee

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1334548476
                      Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 201

"Sunbeam EM0450/0480 is the minimum level for a decent espresso grind. The Breville is currently regarded as one of the best buys under $400. Both are recommended, and are quite capable of serving with your Silvia".

Laughing@Fate

There are also plenty of favourable statements about the Smart  Grinder on Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread.
                      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312978609/2200

Barry.

Comment

Originally posted by 7F404D464A2F0 link=1338121477/9#9 date=1338266626
                        Not planning on storing my beans in the grinder, only dosing what I will use for that shot as I switch beans throughout the day.  Of course that would imply I need two grinders wouldnt it    ;D 
                        OR... you might consider a grinder with a removable hopper, and get a 2nd hopper, so you can quickly swap bean supply !

Comment

Originally posted by 7B584B4B40667D4C575A5857390 link=1338121477/10#10 date=1338274064
                          There are also plenty of favourable statements about the Smart Grinder on Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread.http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312978609/2200
                          Id even (almost) go so far as to say that mosy (many) BES900 owners got the Smart Grinder as part of a combo deal and most of the posts I have seen about the grinder have been very positive. In fact the only reason I didnt end up with one was because they were unavailable when I got my BES900.

Comment

OR... you might consider a grinder with a removable hopper, and get a 2nd hopper, so you can quickly swap bean supply ! 
                            I like your thinking :-) Now that Im finding alot of things I need for my silvia I think Im going to stick with the Rocky and think about a grinder with interchangeable hoppers down the track

Comment

Originally posted by 556A676C60050 link=1338121477/13#13 date=1338277042
                              a grinder with interchangeable hoppers down the track
                              Not a good idea Pobie, coffee beans sitting in hoppers go stale fast.
                              Keep your beans in sealed bags with one way valves and all will be well.

Comment

Working...
                              X