Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUNBEAM EM 0480

Hi
    Hope someone can help with the Sunbeam EM 0480 grinding not being fine enough for good extraction. Followed previous thread on my phone but even adding 2 washers has done nothing to change the course grind.
    I fixed the aperture opening but the mushroom thing in the bean hopper has now got 3 broken stems and have just left it out.
    The real problem seems to be that the top burr from the grind adjustment collar (using the handle) will not stay firmly down. There appears to be nothing that holds this down even though there are screw threads at the base where it fits.
    Am out of ideas except the old bush mechanic way of ... not yet.
    Please help Thanx
    mutley
    PS I have not been a fan of forums because my brain just doesnt think the right way to work them out - so I suppose Im in the wrong place - any help appreciated

Re: SUNBEAM EM 0480

Just added the fourth washer and still no difference - no room for more washers.
    Also spoke to Sunbeam and that is the only thing they can suggest. There is no way to fix the top burr according to them and their instructions.
    No wear is evident.
    ???

Comment

Unless you get the collar and the top burr perfectly aligned before assembly you will only ever get a coarse grind.

There is a white arrow on the collar that you need to align, with another.

No washer additons on mine and any finer a grind that 7-8ish and my pours take upwards of 2 mins per 30mL.

Comment

Thanx but there are no arrows and the fit seems very snug - any clues where the arrows may have been?
        Mutley

Comment

The story gets worse - tried to go further and now it wont grind at all - as per someone elses post - I have 2 pieces that have no easy location.

Comment

its working again but still course - a friend suggested a new Breville grinder with similar proportions from the factory outlet in Tingalpa
            Any thoughts?

Comment

Im thinking about buying a 2nd hand EM0480 for $100, seems like its in good condition, but reading this post makes me nervous....is this a common problem with this grinder???

I just want something idiot-proof and simple...touch and go kinda stuff...I only make 2-4 cups a day in total, so hopefully the EM0480 will do the job.

Comment

We probably make a few more than that on some days but this problem has arisen quickly and not able to fix it easily - I note others have fixed theirs easily.
                James at 2 Shots reckons a reconditioned small commercial grinder would be a better idea.

Comment

Mutley - is the grinder new? If so the arrows should be very visible on the side of the inner basket and the other on the outer collar. If not, Ill try to remember to take a photo of mine so you know how to align them.

Comment

According to the instruction manual, the top burr and collar must be correctly aligned, otherwise the grind adjustment mechanism wont work. You can download the manual from the SB website. To reassemble, first position the collar so that the two arrows on the outside of the body line up. Then place the top burr into the collar with the inside markers aligned. Press and hold the lock/release button on the side and turn the collar clockwise until it engages with the numbered adjustment mechanism. Ive had this grinder for a while and I achieve consistent, fine espresso grinds, but the machine is somewhat fussy and can get a bit clogged with fine powder. The grinding spaces and burr edges must be regularly brushed and kept clear of debris. This only takes a moment, and if done diligently there should be no need for washers and after-market props. The machine is simple, solid and reliable and excellent value - just keep it clean and put it back together properly.

Comment

Couldn't agree more have had my EM 0480 for 4 years now and it has never failed me. I agree with Bernsbrew ensure you re-assemble it correctly and it will give you what you want.

Comment

I found that adding 2 thin washers made the burrs touch!!! not good. you really have to be careful not to go too far.

Comment

Originally posted by stonedewok View Post
                          Im thinking about buying a 2nd hand EM0480 for $100, seems like its in good condition, but reading this post makes me nervous....is this a common problem with this grinder???

I just want something idiot-proof and simple...touch and go kinda stuff...I only make 2-4 cups a day in total, so hopefully the EM0480 will do the job.
                          these are available for around $150 new so i wouldn't bother with a 2nd hand one at that price. i have one and it does the job well enough. the only problem i sometimes encounter is the fact that the increments seem quite large. my settings hover between 8-10 depending on age of beans. sometimes 10 will be too coarse but 9 too fine. i just live with it. am currently looking for a breville smart grinder though. no shims req in my sunbeam either.

Comment

Originally posted by prydey View Post
                            these are available for around $150 new so i wouldn't bother with a 2nd hand one at that price. i have one and it does the job well enough. the only problem i sometimes encounter is the fact that the increments seem quite large. my settings hover between 8-10 depending on age of beans. sometimes 10 will be too coarse but 9 too fine. i just live with it. am currently looking for a breville smart grinder though. no shims req in my sunbeam either.
                            Yep, I have the same problem, Most of the time I use 13, sometimes i need to go to 12. If the coffee is super fresh then sometimes 12 will choke the machine.
                            Good entry level grinder, but I'm finding that i want something better now.

Comment

I find that I alternate between 8-10 depending on what beans I am using at the time... I have come across a few situations where I wish there was a half-step with one setting being too fine and the next being too course. But for the most part it's great. I am also starting to pine for something a little better but it has and continues to do a great job.

Comment

Working...
                              X