Monster Hand Grinder the HG One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Hand Grinder the HG One

What a monster I suppose it could be described as the "Robur" of hand grinders.
    Though not yet in production heres the manufacturers link HG ONE

Re: Monster Hand Grinder the HG One

Interesting...........certainly has possibilites. To me it looks more user friendly than the "other monster"

Steve

Comment

Looks like a cross between the Pharos and a Versalab.

Have to say Im very very interested!

Sniff

Comment

I think engineering and tolerances would have to be very good with the IB on the end of the shaft the way it is, conicals like precise alignment.

Comment

USD850 for the 83mm and USD840 for the 71mm. Using mazzer conical burrs. No details where these are coming from and shipping costs etc. Might be a little early still in prototype stage, but definitely looks very interesting. an expensive alternative to when the kiddies are sleeping perhaps? I like the dual handle old school "gattling gun style" crank system

Comment

As a user of hand grinders it totally misses one of the main ingredients portability and in the case of this one little to zero $ saved and or bench space over a mid to large electric conical. :-/

Sure nice engineering and all that but not anywhere on my shopping list.

Comment

Beanflying, which mid-large electric conicals are you talking about that are in the same price range?

Comment

You can pick up the Wega 8.6 (Compak K10 clone), for not much more.

I certainly agree the lack of portability is a handicap for a manual grinder.

Its hard to see 3 to 4 times the value of the Pharos in this one, but given the interest over at Home Barista there would seem to be a select sub set of coffee fanatics who will purchase it.

Its biggest market may be those that currently look to the Versalab M3, although this is not powered its a very similar form factor without the alleged issues of the Versalab design.

Either way its great to have another option in the titan conical burr manual grinder class, we have gone from none to 2 in 12 months so that is an interesting development in itself.

Comment

By the time you stick the PF holder under it at $1000ish+ Ex USA (because a bowl just wont be cool : ) then land it you are getting within striking range if not the same price of some of the cheaper imports such as Eureka etc.

True you wont buy Kony/Robur or K10s for the money but I wasnt saying that either.

Comment

Grind retention is often quoted as a issue with the big conicals, not so with the Versalab style.

Comment

After reading the HG one thread on HB, it seems the guys wanted a grinder they would be happy to go with their creminas..

Unfortunately something hand made with with exacting workmanship and quality materials was never going to be for the masses, but will probably find a home with people for whom $$$ is not an issue.

I think there are many grinders just as good for far cheaper, that will produce similar if not the same results in the cup... But it is quite speccy

Comment

I like it, a lot.

So you get a Robur grind quality, in a domestically pleasing package, with ZERO grind retention (Im in love with this) It grinds a double in a similar time to a mazzer mini, and it does not occupy a power point.

I want to see if actually lives up to its potential but I could see myself trading in my Super Jolly for this.

Comment

So, who's pulled the trigger on this??
                          I know at least two are heading to Aust.
                          I'm hoping it will prove to be as user friendly as it seems. Bring on January !!

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by buff View Post
                            So, who's pulled the trigger on this??
                            I know at least two are heading to Aust.
                            I'm hoping it will prove to be as user friendly as it seems. Bring on January !!

Cheers,
                            This looks very impressive!

What size are you going for Buff?

Comment

Originally posted by aedion View Post
                              This looks very impressive!

What size are you going for Buff?
                              Hi Aedion,

I REALLY wanted the 71mm...faster, easier to crank/less wank factor, but in the end I went for the 83mm.

WHY???: At the eleventh hour, the developers told of their testing of both sizes in both high and low humidity, and found the 83mm suffered significantly less static in drier climates... their photos comparing the two were quite revealing, and so being in SA, I went for the wanky 83 for less static.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it !!

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                              X