Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide on grinder to accompany Silvia V3

Hey guys/gals,

Decided that with moving to a new place I need a new coffee machine. Currently using a Gaggia something or another bought at Harvey Norman about 8 years ago (Not a classic) and a Sunbeam (I think) cafe series grinder. Sometimes I get decent coffee, most times it runs too fast and too weak. Sometimes without changing anything at all it simply wont pull a shot through the puck despite having fitted a new pump etc. (I'm open to the possibility I might just be useless lol)

Washing my hands of that and going to buy a Silvia V3 but can't decide which grinder to go along with. Have heard decent things about the Rocky (no doser) but I looked a bit further into it and it seems it has a fair few niggles which can be negated by spending a few more dollars.

Things like the Mazzer Mini and Macap M4 came up as good options however, both seem to be doser only grinders. Which is a waste of beans as I'll only ever need to grind a double shot worth at a time.

I'm currently leaning towards cheaping out and going with the Rocky and working around any issues which come up.

Does anyone else have suggestions? Could a hand grinder (burr) be useful or are they not accurate enough?

I'll be doing 50/50 milk based to non milk based coffees and and the occasional use with an Aeropress.

Cheers!

Edit: Current plan is to buy from JetBlack and the Silvia V3, *grinder of some form*, naked porta filter thing and probably their accessory kit. Open to suggestions to improve as long as it doesn't open up tooooo much of a rabbit hole and derail the thread too much. We are in the grinder subforum, afterall

Bang for buck the compak K3 is a good option.

Comment

How about the mazzer mini E?

Comment

Can't decide on grinder to accompany Silvia V3

First. Don't discount doser grinders, assuming that they're not suitable as grind on demand grinders. Many members (granted not me) use a doser grinder to grind a double shot at a time easily. But in terms of doserless grinders, compak k3 (another vote), mm e (another vote) or the macap m4d. Or if these are to expensive, try the breville smart grinder. It all depends on your budget.

But the Jetblack team should be more than happy to help you pick the best grinder for you.

Comment

I have a dosered Mazzer Super Jolly and it suits my 'workflow' better than a non-doser (previously had a non-dosered Iberital challenge). And this is for making one double shot coffee.

My process:
          - 2 scoops of beans into the grinder throat (can even fit 2 doubles), place my plastic tamper as a 'lid' to prevent 'popcorning' (I don't use big hopper, just a jam funnel)
          - start the grind
          - go off and get the milk
          - stop the grind
          - grab the PF and start thwacking the ground beans into it (added benefit: breaks up any clumping)
          - brew the espresso and steam at the same time
          - pour and done

Granted, I've had to make some slight mods to make sure the doser sweeps clean (which mine does very well now), but that's about all. Love that I don't have to stand there with PF waiting for the grinder to finish doing it's thing.

Anyway, that's just me and my preference, but thought I'd add to David8's suggestion not to discount dosered grinders.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadan View Post
            Bang for buck the compak K3 is a good option.
            I shall investigate this one. Ta.

Originally posted by mikaltch View Post
            How about the mazzer mini E?
            Mini E is a bit above what I'm comfortable paying at this point. I can pay a bit above Rocky dollars but would prefer keeping it closer rather than double

Originally posted by David8 View Post
            First. Don't discount doser grinders, assuming that they're not suitable as grind on demand grinders. Many members (granted not me) use a doser grinder to grind a double shot at a time easily. But in terms of doserless grinders, compak k3 (another vote), mm e (another vote) or the macap m4d. Or if these are to expensive, try the breville smart grinder. It all depends on your budget.

But the Jetblack team should be more than happy to help you pick the best grinder for you.
            Thanks for the votes. The MM E looks to be out of my range but very nice indeed. Dosing puts me off due to the added cleaning of mechanisms, takes up more space, costs more etc but I'm not discounting it out of hand.

Originally posted by benandfaith View Post
            I have a dosered Mazzer Super Jolly and it suits my 'workflow' better than a non-doser (previously had a non-dosered Iberital challenge). And this is for making one double shot coffee.

My process:
            - 2 scoops of beans into the grinder throat (can even fit 2 doubles), place my plastic tamper as a 'lid' to prevent 'popcorning' (I don't use big hopper, just a jam funnel)
            - start the grind
            - go off and get the milk
            - stop the grind
            - grab the PF and start thwacking the ground beans into it (added benefit: breaks up any clumping)
            - brew the espresso and steam at the same time
            - pour and done

Granted, I've had to make some slight mods to make sure the doser sweeps clean (which mine does very well now), but that's about all. Love that I don't have to stand there with PF waiting for the grinder to finish doing it's thing.

Anyway, that's just me and my preference, but thought I'd add to David8's suggestion not to discount dosered grinders.
            That is a good point regarding the work flow. Saves needing an interim container. I do like that the grind stays in the grinder until it's going to be used. Do you find the doser steals grind only to sit in the mechanism and go stale?

Comment

Originally posted by DuaneDibbley View Post
              I'm guessing as nobody mentioned it that I shouldn't bother with a hand burr grinder?
              I wouldn't assume this. Just that in my case, I have no experience with hand grinders.

I THINK there are members here using hand grinders with good results. But don't quote me on this. :P

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
                I wouldn't assume this. Just that in my case, I have no experience with hand grinders.

I THINK there are members here using hand grinders with good results. But don't quote me on this. :P
                Hehe - yeah. I don't mind doing a bit of arm work if it means comparable results for $100 vs $1100

Comment

Originally posted by DuaneDibbley View Post

That is a good point regarding the work flow. Saves needing an interim container. I do like that the grind stays in the grinder until it's going to be used. Do you find the doser steals grind only to sit in the mechanism and go stale?
                  The grinds only stay in my doser for no more than 30sec as I grind only exactly what I need, so no chance of it going stale in that time. As long as the doser sweeps clean (i.e. does not leave grinds at the bottom), you shouldn't have to worry about stale grinds. Not all dosers sweep clean, so you'll have to research on which ones don't. With these, there's usually a modification you can do to fix the problem.

Comment

Can't decide on grinder to accompany Silvia V3

Trying to work out which one is best for me is actually giving me a headache lol.

I think I am favoring ones with continuous adjustment rather than stepped. That's the only criteria I've semi decided on so far.

But I'm considering the dose less rocky combo with the metal drawers from coffee a Roma and being done with it...

Comment

There was a used rocky and draw in the hardware for sale section think the member was in Brisbane also if your interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadan View Post
                        There was a used rocky and draw in the hardware for sale section think the member was in Brisbane also if your interested.
                        Thanks for pointing them out I much prefer to waste extra money on new items so I'll pass and leave it to someone less silly than I!

I'm now more and more interested in starting with a hand grinder. In my house I'm the only one who drinks coffee so 90% of the time it'll be fine to take a bit longer.

Thinking of going the Hario MSS1B with a view to upgrade in 6-12mo to either a fancy hand grinder (such as Rosco or Pharos) if the hand grinding has stuck with me or go a Mazzer et al if it hasn't

It feels wrong to be buying a $65 manual grinder expecting anything reasonable when everyone screams that you need to spend minimum of $460ish. We shall see.

Comment

I own a Pharos hand grinder and a compak K3 touch, I use the K3 when making milk based and the Pharos for espresso

Comment

Breville smart grinder might do the job if you don't want to spend big bucks.

Comment

DuaneDibbley

I'd personally go with a better grinder and a different machine if you haven't already bought the silvia...I know I'll be shot down, but a sunbeam6910 plus a mazzer,k3 or macap will make just as good coffee if not better and definately easier than the Silvia..

Comment

Working...
                              X