Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best grinder available

Hi,

I am looking for the absolutely best grinder money can buy to sit next to my Synesso Cyncra. Currently I ahve a Mazer Electronic and I am not too excited by the grind quality and speed.

Please give me your sugestions.

Thanks, Peter

Hello Peter,

Which Mazzer do you have?

Chris

Comment

Mazer

I have both the Mazzer Mini E - Type A (home) & B (office).

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      Hello Peter,

Which Mazzer do you have?

Chris

Comment

Alrighty....Assuming your dosing and shots are consistent, going to a faster planar grinder- SJ, Major etc will gain you only speed.

My opinion is that you do get something in the cup with the big conicals. You also spend accordingly- $1.7k upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          Alrighty....Assuming your dosing and shots are consistent, going to a faster planar grinder- SJ, Major etc will gain you only speed.

My opinion is that you do get something in the cup with the big conicals. You also spend accordingly- $1.7k upwards.
          And may I add, if the equipment is only for domestic type (low volume) use going to a big conical will also add the dimension of having to run a quantity of coffee through before the burrs settle (bed?) down to a point where they work at their best. Which means wasting coffee. Planar grinders are quicker easier (in my opinion) to deal with in getting a great result pretty much straight up.

Also if the operator is into the appreciation of milk coffees rather than strictly blacks, any "something extra" will be lost.

And of course...."Assuming your dosing and shots are consistent...." well said Chris ! The operator should already be getting consistent GREAT shots with the equipment at hand. How can you determine the "grind quality"? It should be the result in the cup that counts and that will also be due to a multitude of other factors not just the grind quality. Speed is not generally an issue in a home use environment, but I will concede that is an individual preference.

Is it "worth it" to spend 1.7 k up to get that something extra?

Only an individual can make that decision for himself, and I would suggest doing side by side comparisons between your own grinder and whatever you think may be a good "upgrade" for you without which, there is no true defining test of what you will find to be better or best. Otherwise you may not be happy after mail ordering a grinder that someone recommends here, if it does not live up to the expectation.......

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee View Post
            ...Only an individual can make that decision for himself, and I would suggest doing side by side comparisons between your own grinder and whatever you think may be a good "upgrade" for you.......
            Indeed. Before purchasing my current main grinder I was reading everything I could find - including a very comprehensive comparison of it vs huuge conicals. In reading the very slight differences in flavour in the cup that they were detecting between them I realised that the preference of my palate was for the optimal result of the planar burrs.
            Which means I get two excellent results - grinder optimised for my own tongue, and a saving of rather a lot of coin!

Comment

Originally posted by WiredArabica View Post
              Indeed....... - grinder optimised for my own tongue.......!
              I like that !

Comment

Originally posted by pvb View Post
                Hi,

I am looking for the absolutely best grinder money can buy to sit next to my Synesso Cyncra. Currently I ahve a Mazer Electronic and I am not too excited by the grind quality and speed.

Thanks, Peter
                Hi Peter,
                As this is for home, no doubt you want an equally eye catching grinder to sit next to your espresso machine. If money is not an issue (as you stated), buy one of the large conical grinders. All produce almost identical results in the cup, but are designed for high speed and high volume coffee establishments. You will experience some grind retention, but stale grinds can be easily purged. In the scheme of things, the cost of the purged coffee is very low, when you consider the value of the machine and grinder.
                I would consider looks, and aim for the Elektra Nino. They are very striking in appearance, and would sit nicely next to your Synesso.

Comment

Hi Peter
                  Wow...yours is one of those 'good' problems we'd all like to have!

Good luck with it.

Interestingly you mention 'absolute best' because not only is that going to be hard to define (or agree to) but will soon enough get moved off it's perch as soon as the next best thing comes along....and these days it seems like that 'another best' comes around the corner as soon as you buy something!

Seeya

Comment

Thank you for annunciating my own thoughts on this wrt definition of "best" (which in any case I understood to refer to *grind quality* due to OP first post above).

When all's said and done, Bosco's is probably the reply to go with....to buy something that looks the part, although for my own I prefer a large flat plate grinder. Opinions were sought, and that's mine.

Comment

You have a Synesso Cyncra on your bench and you have to ask here "what the best grinder is that money can buy"? I call troll. Sorry. One does not just own a Synesso Cyncra then have to ask on a forum which "best" grinder to buy.

Comment

Yes- it may be suss. Generally if you spend $10k+ on a machine, you'd probably have a good idea on what you'd like to pair it with.

Who knows? Time will tell. I guess if you can afford a Synesso, you can just buy one of each starting at $1.2k upwards and stop when you find a match.

We'd be more than happy to supply one of everything from our range...

Comment

Any of the big conicals can be adapted for single dosing from their designed commercial application, there are plenty of guides on the net to help with these mods. Of course this is only worth doing if you really prefer the taste profile of the big conicals. FWIW I found that it was a flavour i preferred using my commercial spring lever and I felt the expense was justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
                            You will experience some grind retention, but stale grinds can be easily purged. In the scheme of things, the cost of the purged coffee is very low, when you consider the value of the machine and grinder.
                            I would consider looks, and aim for the Elektra Nino.
                            Actually, an Elektra Nino retains very little in the way of grinds compared to most other grinders, as the exit path from the group head is very short and feeds directly into a steep outlet chute. They do look very impressive (we're using one in our workshop and it always impresses visitors) and would make a great 'showoff' domestic grinder. They do have a few shortcomings in a busy commercial setting - one is that the cover over the microswitch that is triggered when the group handle is inserted peels off after sustained heavy use and lets grounds enter the space in front of the switch, where it packs tight and makes the switch a bit of a 'hair trigger' device. When this happens, using the tamper on the Nino will often trigger another grind cycle, dumping more coffee on top of the tamper as you're tamping the previous grinds. And the mounting for the worm adjuster for the upper burr carrier is weak and easily bent if the grind adjuster gets even mildly stiff to turn.

Comment

I have a top of the line Mazer Robur Electronic for sale in the Hardware for Sale Section.. Its pretty much brand new. It'll dose your double baskets in about 3 seconds

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...lectronic.html

Originally posted by pvb View Post
                              Hi,

Thanks, Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X