Convert Mazzer Mini to Doserless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Mazzer Mini to Doserless

I have a doser based Mazzer Mini, and am frustrated with how much mess it makes. Have seen a thread or 2 on here about people doing conversions to doserless, with the addition of the doserless funnel and 1-2 other pieces. Whats putting me off starting this 'project ' at the moment, is the idea that I have heard that drilling is required to secure the backing plate, and not really a fan of the idea of drilling into an electrical device, no matter how theoretically 'safe' the area is which requires holes.

Has anyone come across a conversion for the Mini without the need for drilling to remove the doser, and attach the funnel from the doserless model?

Just seems crazy to me that there is a $200 or $300 difference between the doser and doserless models. I don't personally need any of the electronics from the doserless unit, am just happy to turn on/off the machine using the switch at the side (I measure to need, so my hopper is empty between drinks), just want the convenience of having the grinds fall straight down the funnel into the basket.

My method was not to rest the group handle on the forks while dosing but to hold it closer and a little to the left of the doser outlet. Otherwise google "how to tame a messy mazzer doser" for a HB thread on fitting a 'Shnozzola' to the doser outlet so the grinds fall straight into the basket.
    Last edited by flynnaus; 3 September 2012, 12:56 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Had same issue with a mazzer, so I got a small paper cup, cut it to fit in my double basket then used that.. Made it fit so it pretty much touched the underside of the doser.. Then had nearly zero mess and waste after that

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
        My method was not to rest the group handle on the forks while dosing but to hold it closer and a little to the left of the doser outlet. Otherwise google "how to take a messy mazzer doser" for a HB thread on fitting a 'Shnozzola' to the doser outlet so the grinds fall straight into the basket.
        Here's a picture of it - it works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
          I have a doser based Mazzer Mini, and am frustrated with how much mess it makes.
          I've had a Mazzer Mini for a couple of years and don't find it particularly messy.
          I use a PF funnel from Orphan espresso, anything it fails to collect is cleaned up in seconds with a quick wipe down of the bench after every session.

Comment

I use the schectermatic paper funnel mod and it's PERFECT. it dumps grinds straight down in the middle of the basket EVERY time.

Comment

Mini doser to doseless conversion

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
              I have a doser based Mazzer Mini, and am frustrated with how much mess it makes. Have seen a thread or 2 on here about people doing conversions to doserless, with the addition of the doserless funnel and 1-2 other pieces. Whats putting me off starting this 'project ' at the moment, is the idea that I have heard that drilling is required to secure the backing plate, and not really a fan of the idea of drilling into an electrical device, no matter how theoretically 'safe' the area is which requires holes.

Has anyone come across a conversion for the Mini without the need for drilling to remove the doser, and attach the funnel from the doserless model?

Just seems crazy to me that there is a $200 or $300 difference between the doser and doserless models. I don't personally need any of the electronics from the doserless unit, am just happy to turn on/off the machine using the switch at the side (I measure to need, so my hopper is empty between drinks), just want the convenience of having the grinds fall straight down the funnel into the basket.
              Hi espressparts.com has the parts etc
              https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...TgEVQ4P-U/edit
              bit expensive but...................

Comment

Working...
              X