The $1.42 solution to stop the Mazzer Mini Doser grinder being so messy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $1.42 solution to stop the Mazzer Mini Doser grinder being so messy

I bought the Mazzer Mini Doser grinder, and while I was very happy with the grind consistency, was always frustrated with how much mess it made on the bench while dosing. Ended up with a solution that I am very happy with, so just wanted to share in case it helps anyone else.

Main steps were as follows.

1. Go to a hardware supply store (I went to Bunnings), and purchase a piece of 25mm Clear Vinyl Joiner, clearly marked as food grade.
    2. The piece that I purchased was 7cm long which was a bit too long for what I needed. I took a sharp knife and cut it in half, so at that point I essentially had two identical 25mm x 3.5cm pieces.
    3. I removed the doser from the grinder body and inverted it, so the hole that the grinds normally fall out of into the filter basket was facing upright.
    4. With a bit of rotation and pushing, I was able to insert around 1cm of the Clear Vinyl Joiner into the hole that the grinds fall out of to secure it in place. The great thing is that the even though the hole is a weird shape (it's not round or oval, its kind of like a D shape), the Clear Vinyl Joiner basically expanded to fit it. I mean really really snug with no gaps showing, its like the Clear Vinyl Joiner was actually designed to fit the Mazzer doser that's how well it fits!
    5. Time to turn the whole thing the right way up again, and bolt the doser back on !

The end result was that the doser now has chute for the grinds to fall down, straight into the filter basket waiting below! No mess, no waste, and feels solid ie the pipe isn't going to fall out any time soon.

Here is a shot of the part before cutting or fitting, and also a shot of the grinder once it was fitted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	753849Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	753850

nice. there's a similar one called the schectermatic on a USA coffee forum, except you just print it out, cut it out to make a funnel and slide it in there. works the same way. doses right in to the centre of the PF. So good!

Comment

Yup, I'll be having a trip to B's tomorrow and try this.
      The MM is a great grinder, but a wee bit messy and wasteful.
      Well, it makes a somewhat expensive (but good) garden fertiliser!

Comment

Interested if anyone else has tried this? Its a few months later now, and the solution has worked perfectly...

Comment

Still using my Orphan Espresso doser funnel, a little more expensive than $1.42 but it works pretty well.
          Sort of attacking the problem from the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
            Interested if anyone else has tried this? Its a few months later now, and the solution has worked perfectly...
            Just purchased a 2nd hand mazzer mini and tried your trick straight away and it worked like a charm. Only problem is inflation has got the better of me and it cost $1.49 now but it's a price worth paying to save some grinds.

thanks for the tip

Comment

Inflation strikes again, my 25mm tube from Bunnings was about $1.75...but it works great. I'd say it reduces mess by about 75% when using the SJ doser. Great tip

Comment

I bought that one ...:
                Board-Trichter 58 (für 58 mm-Siebe)-Board-Trichter 58
                and it works also perfectly. maybe some one can make it in Australia, necause the post will be to expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                  I bought that one ...:
                  and it works also perfectly. maybe some one can make it in Australia, necause the post will be to expensive.
                  No need....
                  The 10mm high section of a used yogurt pot ( or plastic drink cup) has worked perfectly for me . !
                  cost ?...$0.0

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                    No need....
                    The 10mm high section of a used yogurt pot ( or plastic drink cup) has worked perfectly for me . !
                    cost ?...$0.0
                    for me it also worked perfectly, but I wanted something which looked good to the machine.

Comment

for me it also worked perfectly, but I wanted something which looked good to the machine.
                      Well said Rolf, my feelings exactly.

Comment

I bought that one ...:
                        I was looking at that shop some time ago, how were they to deal with, ship ok to au ?

Comment

Originally posted by amellor View Post
                          I was looking at that shop some time ago, how were they to deal with, ship ok to au ?
                          if I see that right, they ship it to australia.
                          look:
                          Liefer- und Versandkosten
                          if you have a problem with the language (I think they speak and wirite english), you can ask me for translation or so.

Comment

Originally posted by amellor View Post
                            I have bought from them (live in Sydney)... and everything went perfectly well. Extremely happy with the two funnels I got.

Comment

Hey ! ..im offended !
                              my yogurt pot looks good ! .. actually its a part of a transparent drink cup, so its practically invisible !

and anyway, the thread was about super cheap ways of preventing mess when dosing.
                              .....not expensive ways to enhance the looks of the machine !

Comment

Working...
                              X