New Sunbeam Grinders ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sunbeam Grinders ??

I have been looking at getting a Sunbeam 450 or 480 grinder, but this morning I noticed that on their web site they now have two that I have not seen before - the EM0440 and the EM0430.

I have read somewhere that Sunbeam use the same burrs in all of their grinders, and the only difference is mainly cosmetic, and the material that the outer casing is made from.

Can anyone here confirm this, particularly in regard to the EM0430, which is the one that I am now considering ??.

And just to head it off at the pass - I am on a strict budget - so, please don't tell me to buy something I can't afford, or to wait and save up for a shiny Italian made Ferrari or Lamborghini grinder - it's just not going to happen.

I am however, handy with tools, have lots of spare time, and understand things mechanical and electrical, so I will probably modify whatever I get if it improves the performance & the results.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Leo.

i was lucky to find a 430 on gumtree for 20 bucks - and i really couldnt complain for that price. problem was it just wont grind fine enough and makes a heck of a mess. the grinder adjustment is a nightmare to work with but i DID eventually get it to work reasonably well. though the steps meant it was either gushing or over-extracting. im not the most handy of people and didnt bother tinkering with it any further. It currently serves a moka pot in a friend's house who is enjoying it to bits.

a quick search on the forum will tell you the 480 is quite modifiable. i havent tried modding mine yet (left it for the other people in the house to use with their woolies beans) but it does the job even before the mods (just watch out for grind retention in the chute!). all that said before i got my 'shiny italian grinder' i was actually happier with the results from my hario slim mill than the 480. it does produce quite a bit of fines though.

thats my 2 cents anyway. before you do jump out at the 480 though, big w had em for sale for a 100bucks a piece. makes you wonder how much they're really worth... but also, if you're patient and willing enough to fish around for bargains im sure you can get one for much less than the retail 160-200 price range.

Comment

Originally posted by timdimdom View Post
      i was lucky to find a 430 on gumtree for 20 bucks
      Thanks for the reply Tim. Did you get a S/H EM430 or is that a typo ??. I'm asking partly because you go on to discuss the EM480 after that, but mainly because I thought that the 430 was a recent addition to the Sunbeam range.

As you said, the 450 and the 480 have several threads here. They mostly say that shim mods are easy to do, and that the chute can also be altered to reduce the mess.

I'm interested in the EM0440 because it looks a lot like the 450/480 and may well use the same internals in a plastic outer casing. If that is the case I would certainly consider it, and should be able to get a new one well under a hundred bucks because the RRP is $99.99

So what I need now is for someone to tell me if they are the same inside or not.

However, in the meantime, I will follow up on your suggestion and check out Big-W. If I can find a 480 for about $100 I would buy it. At that price I would not choose the cheaper one even if the do have the same internals. ( and yes, it really does make me wonder what the wholesale price is )

Cheers, Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by leograyson View Post
        Thanks for the reply Tim. Did you get a S/H EM430 or is that a typo ??. I'm asking partly because you go on to discuss the EM480 after that, but mainly because I thought that the 430 was a recent addition to the Sunbeam range.

As you said, the 450 and the 480 have several threads here. They mostly say that shim mods are easy to do, and that the chute can also be altered to reduce the mess.

I'm interested in the EM0440 because it looks a lot like the 450/480 and may well use the same internals in a plastic outer casing. If that is the case I would certainly consider it, and should be able to get a new one well under a hundred bucks because the RRP is $99.99

So what I need now is for someone to tell me if they are the same inside or not.

However, in the meantime, I will follow up on your suggestion and check out Big-W. If I can find a 480 for about $100 I would buy it. At that price I would not choose the cheaper one even if the do have the same internals. ( and yes, it really does make me wonder what the wholesale price is )

Cheers, Leo.
        Sounds like Tim has both. I'd be steering away from the 430, but you're right, the 440, 450 and 480 all look similar. Both have what sunbeam call 'slow' rotating conical burrs. 250g hopper, 24/25 settings. Assuming the 440 is shimable (stick a washer under the bottom burr to lift it up), it should grind for espresso. Probably not the best grind quality out there. The 480 has that dual mode, where it either grinds from a flick of the lever, or grind on demand with a press of the button. But this isn't a big deal really.

Have you considered a sunbeam/breville factory outlet store? I have no idea if you can get a decent breville in your budget. But if you're near one, it's worth a shot?

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
          Sounds like Tim has both. I'd be steering away from the 430, but you're right, the 440, 450 and 480 all look similar. Both have what sunbeam call 'slow' rotating conical burrs. 250g hopper, 24/25 settings. Assuming the 440 is shimable (stick a washer under the bottom burr to lift it up), it should grind for espresso. Probably not the best grind quality out there. The 480 has that dual mode, where it either grinds from a flick of the lever, or grind on demand with a press of the button. But this isn't a big deal really.

Have you considered a sunbeam/breville factory outlet store? I have no idea if you can get a decent breville in your budget. But if you're near one, it's worth a shot?
          Thanks David, I read the post again & I think you may be right about Tim having both - though it seems he has given up on both of them too.

The dual switch on the 480 would not be a factor, but if I can get one for not much more than the 440 I would choose anyway.

No Sunbeam seconds here, but there is Breville outlet in Brisbane, not handy for me, but I may be closer to it during my travels next weekend. I will give them a call and see what their opening hours are and if they have any grinders in stock. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Leo.

Comment

yup! ive had both - apparently not a recent addition? the guy i got it from got it as a gift bout 3/4 years ago. (funny story behind that one actually - was a gift from his [then girlfriend] along with a bag of beans because he bought a nespresso machine...........)

i remember when i was first looking out for them i went down to myers to have a look at the 480 vs the 450. really didnt like the feel of how flimsy the 450 was and just felt even at $179 the 480 was asking a little too much (vs ~$300 for a decent 2nd hand commercial grinder out there?). anyway, i just had a look on the big w site. apparently the offer is still on but with no online stock. so find out at your postcode my nearest store still has em!

Comment

Alternatively, have you been keeping an eye on the for sale forum here? Coffee Hardware For Sale

There are currently 1 or 2 480s up for sale interstate, but the sellers may be willing to post.

Comment

Also, what are your opinions on hand grinders?

Comment

Originally posted by timdimdom View Post
                  so find out at your postcode my nearest store still has em!
                  Tim, thanks for that - a couple of stores not too far from me still have stock, so that might just have made my decision for me. At that price and with a little customising I should be able to satisfy my needs.

David, in view of the Big-W price, the S/H ones + postage would not be in the running now.

My opinion on hand grinders is that my current Hario Skerton is a good little grinder for making one cup, but not so good for two, and is quite tedious for three or more. I have considered motorising it with and old cordless drill/driver but it's batteries have died and I don't have a suitable power source at present.

Regards, Leo.

Comment

New Sunbeam Grinders ??

So you're leaning towards the 480? I think that's a good choice. I still use my 480 for decaf every now and then. I think it's undervalued.

Comment

Yes, at only $98, I will probably get the 480, that's less than the RRP for the 440.

Comment

New Sunbeam Grinders ??

$98?!? I wish i had room on my bench for another one!

Comment

I was looking at the 440 as well for the reasons stated.
                          my BCG450 just packed it in and i need a new grinder, but cannot shell out for a good one unfortunately.

So is the assumption that it is the same internals as the 450 & 480?

Comment

New Sunbeam Grinders ??

I have 2 480's with only one needing shimming. Haven't missed a beat with regular cleans and fresh beans. Only downside is the amount of coffee left in the area underneath the burrs. But there's probably an easy fix for that.

Comment

I have 2 x 450s and a 3rd i gave to the inlaws. None of them needed shimming, all of them grind fine enough - set on 1 they all clog up the espresso machines used (again, Sunbeams 4800/5900/6910).

All bought 2nd hand, the last cost me $30.

Like anything, a little bit of maintenance goes a lot way so i regularly (minimum of fortnightly) pull them apart and clean them thoroughly.

Worth keeping in mind - check out ebay/gumtree in addition to the marketplace here. An option for those who want to dip their toes into the world of coffeesnobbery without donating their unborn child.

My 6910 cost me $100, sold the extra PF and 2 boxes of brand new dual filters for $100.

Comment

Working...
                              X