Mazzer Mini E doserless grind retention solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer Mini E doserless grind retention solutions

Here's the problem, after every coffee I find the antistatic mesh at the chute to be completely full of old grind. I know many do not think it is a problem as disposing of the first 1 or 2g of coffee grounds is the accepted way of clearing old grind in the chute. I've watched this process with the top off and all I see is some of the old grind being pushed but the rest staying behind the antistatic mash. I hate that I can't get rid of this so I have since religiously been clearing this passage at every grind with a brush...but I still can't quite reach deep enough behind the mesh.
    I've researched and there hasn't really been any solution and I do not want to take off the mesh. Here's my solution and boy does it work well.

Giottos GTCL2810 Q.Ball Angleable Air Blower Cleaning System

The amount of air this hand pump generates is amazing. Just two pumps and it completely clears the chute. The angleable nozzle is perfect. I still do a quick brush of the mesh before hand and then give the chute two quick blasts with the Giottos Q ball and voila! All clear! I'm happy with my Q ball solution but perhaps you have a better way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1556_fhdr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	754041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1559_fhdr.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	754042

Thanks for the thought! I have one or two of these laying about and never connected the dots; good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by BLrdFX View Post
      Thanks for the thought! I have one or two of these laying about and never connected the dots; good idea!
      Thanks. Let me know how you go. I got mine off the bay delivered for $15 from Ireland. It was the cheapest I could find. Used it again this morning and I'm still smiling.

Comment

Looks like a good idea,
        Can you get it under the guard or have you removed the guard?

Comment

I removed the guard on mine and I use the bulb to blow from above with an abbreviated hopper and inside the discharge chute.

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	733301

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	733302

I have a few short versions of this setup.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
            Looks like a good idea,
            Can you get it under the guard or have you removed the guard?
            I have removed the finger guard. I don't think you could do it without access to the mesh well not an accurate blast of air anyway. I suppose if you could somehow extend the Q ball's nozzle to get past the finger guard and at the entrance but then again if you have the finger guard on then you can't visually check if the chute is cleared all the way to the burr or not anyway.
            I'll give it a go tonight and report back with some pics.

Comment

I removed the guard on mine and I use the bulb to blow from above with an abbreviated hopper and inside the discharge chute.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1405[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]1406[/ATTACH]

I have a few short versions of this setup.

Stephen
              Hi Stephen. Interesting setup. I guess you're creating a kind of pneumatic piston from the hopper and blowing air out from the other end. How well does that clear the retained grind in the chute?

Comment

Originally posted by saoye View Post
                Hi Stephen. Interesting setup. I guess you're creating a kind of pneumatic piston from the hopper and blowing air out from the other end. How well does that clear the retained grind in the chute?
                Sounds similar to the click clack lid fix for the Rocky.

Comment

I still like to weigh my dose and grind only the beans enough for my shot. I don't have a hopper on my grinder, I just use the useless single basket to cover the neck of the grinder to stop beans from jumping out when grinding.
                  I allow the mazzer to grind until the sound quietens indicating no longer grinding beans, I then give the top of the burrs a quick brush while still grinding to get those shrapnels that missed getting ground up. Then I give the antistatic mesh a quick brush and finish with a couple of blasts with the Q ball.

Comment

Ok, so here are some photos of the results using the Q ball.

Name:	14g of indo beans.JPG
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	733303Click image for larger version

Name:	chute after grinding.JPG
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	733304Click image for larger version

Name:	quick brush.JPG
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	733305Click image for larger version

Name:	after quick brush.JPG
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	733306

Comment

Pictures continued (since it's a max 5 attachment limitation)

Name:	Q ball at the ready.JPG
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	733307Click image for larger version

Name:	after Q ball.JPG
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	733308Click image for larger version

Name:	14g of ground coffee exactly.JPG
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	733309

Success as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

Saoye: I see you have removed a bit of the anti-static screen. I tried removing mine in small bits, at first, and then totally. It made cleaning much easier but the static level went up so much I put another on back in. I use a bamboo barbque skewer to get the grounds out of that chute, around the screen components, and then the bulb to blast out what remains.

The second day I had my Mazzer (it's a Kony-E) I took the top off to clean out the burrs properly and see how much was retained in the grind chamber and the chute. I was pretty amazed, just cleaning the chute gets a small portion of the grinds, so now I just grind out about a double worth of grounds and toss them away since they are acting as a plug behind the screen. Air gets at the front of that plug pretty easily but I have noticed that after about a double or triple shot worth of grounds the stale reaction disappears in the mouth and shot blonding/gushing. The pneumatic piston (and it is darn close to air tight) works fairly well and because of its weight it provides a bit of false volume of beans. The electronic doser THINKS there is a larger volume of beans above the burrs.

This is the grinder I use if grounds retention is bothering me.

Name:	VersalabM3.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	733313

The lid on it is aluminum and has padding on the underside to stop all rattling; no undo noises here.

Originally posted by saoye View Post
                        Pictures continued (since it's a max 5 attachment limitation)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1433[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1434[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1435[/ATTACH]

Success as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

I see you have removed a bit of the anti-static screen.
                          No he hasn't. That's what the original Mini E screen looks like. Mine is the same.

Comment

I'll be darned! Maybe I should try cutting out that pattern of the screen on mine to see how it works. The Knoy-E has the solid pattern with all those grid lines continuing across the chute opening. The fewer the grid lines the easier the cleaning

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            No he hasn't. That's what the original Mini E screen looks like. Mine is the same.

Comment

The second day I had my Mazzer (it's a Kony-E) I took the top off to clean out the burrs properly and see how much was retained in the grind chamber and the chute. I was pretty amazed, just cleaning the chute gets a small portion of the grinds, so now I just grind out about a double worth of grounds and toss them away since they are acting as a plug behind the screen. Air gets at the front of that plug pretty easily but I have noticed that after about a double or triple shot worth of grounds the stale reaction disappears in the mouth and shot blonding/gushing.
                              That's what I did previously as in grind out but as mentioned before you can see that a few g of beans attempt to clear the chute does not 100% push out stale ground from the chute. I eyeball approximately only 40% of the stale grind is cleared in this method. Incidentally using a nominal value of 4g per day (and it would be more) to grind out stale coffee over 365 days in a year is an additional 1.5kg of coffee I am essentially just grinding to throw in the bin a year. I'll put in the extra 15 seconds to brush out and to air out with the Q ball thank you very much. The Q ball pays for itself in less than 6 months in terms of value, saving me that 1.5kg of perfectly good coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X