Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new grinder to replace - BCG450?

Hi,

I have a Breville BES820 with a BCG450 grinder.
    Up until now I have just been using the dual walled filters but thought it might be time to try experimenting a bit. So I have just got some single walled filters. I tried using them this morning but the shots weren't very good at all. I've read that the grinder does not grind fine enough but can be modified to do this. I have not done this yet - actually I'm not sure my grinder will be upto it as it has a faulty switch already. So if my grinder is at fault thn I may need to look at getting a new one.

Can anyone recommend a decent grinder for under 175 dollars?
    preferrably one that doesn't have to be modified?

Thanks,
    Will

Originally posted by Willsh View Post
    Hi,

I have a Breville BES820 with a BCG450 grinder.
    Up until now I have just been using the dual walled filters but thought it might be time to try experimenting a bit. So I have just got some single walled filters. I tried using them this morning but the shots weren't very good at all. I've read that the grinder does not grind fine enough but can be modified to do this. I have not done this yet - actually I'm not sure my grinder will be upto it as it has a faulty switch already. So if my grinder is at fault thn I may need to look at getting a new one.

Can anyone recommend a decent grinder for under 175 dollars?
    preferrably one that doesn't have to be modified?

Thanks,
    Will
    $175? Not really. The only entry level grinders capable of grinding for espresso are the Sunbeam EM0480 - which you may find for that budget, but it isn't the best either. Or the Breville BCG800, this is a much better grinder, but I don't think you will find one around that price unfortunately. BTW: Both these grinders sometimes require shimming, i.e. placing a small washer under the bottom burr to lift it up a little, so it can grind finer. But these shims are easier to come by (Sunbeam sent mine for free), and easy to install.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks David8. It did help.

Perhaps I'll have to try stretching up for a BCG800. It does seem to have a good review.

Comment

new grinder to replace - BCG450?

If you're in Brisbane, Brokenvase is selling a smart grinder for $180 in the sale section?

Comment

Working...
        X