Upgrade for Breville smart grinder to Mahlkonig Vario Grinder is worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade for Breville smart grinder to Mahlkonig Vario Grinder is worth it

Thinking about upgrading from smart grinder, I am not having any problems with it latter model did not need shims. I can get the Mahlkonig Vario Grinder for $540.delivered but is it worth the move using it with the BES900. I would appreciate any views on this

not sure if it's worth upgrading to another grinder if you aren't having any problems with the smart grinder? probably a fairly good match for the BES900?

Comment

i can vouch for the vario especially if you plan on using different brew methods

Comment

I believe the guts of the question is Quote: "...Is it worth the move..."

My take on this would be:
        Client already has the "smart" grinder. Therefore, "the move", unless it offers something significantly "better" than the "smart", could be a total waste of $540.00 OR, if we assume he may be able to sell off the "smart" for say, $150.00, "the move" would cost $390.00.

Therefore, does the cost of the move at say $390.00 represent any significant value at all to the client for the spend?

Is there anyone in the room that can offer a factual (based on having had ownership of both, or trade experience) comparison between the two?

I would also be interested to know.

Comment

I'm pretty sure if you can't get results from the smart grinder then you need to practice more. It is a great grinder that needs no replacing if you're doing the right things with the dose, tamp etc. Having said all that, you are free to do what you wish, but only know that like a mug golfer, you can only blame your sticks for so long. haha nah... smart grinder is tops.... unless you go for a mazzer, theres no point replacing it.....

Check out my blog/podcast...... We talk shit about Beer, music and this week, coffee in a waaaay over saturated market.... it's cool!

http://discomforsouthern.blogspot.com

heisenberg

Comment

If its any help, i had a the smart grinder and was also very pleased with it. I never needed shims and it always help me produce a good cup of coffee. After having played with the K3 a few times that my brother has I thought I wouldnt mind owning my own. So thats what I did. Having now done that i wouldnt say it wasnt a waste of money yet the smart grinder for its price over the K3 held its own. I still have a lot of learning to do on the K3, but so far its a great grinder. The bottom line is if you want to up grade like alot of us do beacuase we can or just want to, go for it.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
              I'm pretty sure if you can't get results from the smart grinder then you need to practice more. It is a great grinder that needs no replacing if you're doing the right things with the dose, tamp etc. Having said all that, you are free to do what you wish, but only know that like a mug golfer, you can only blame your sticks for so long. haha nah... smart grinder is tops.... unless you go for a mazzer, theres no point replacing it.....

Check out my blog/podcast...... We talk shit about Beer, music and this week, coffee in a waaaay over saturated market.... it's cool!

http://discomforsouthern.blogspot.com

heisenberg
              Sorry but I don't find anything here of any relevance to my question, I have been making coffee since cocky was an egg!

Comment

Originally posted by water_dragon View Post
                Thinking about upgrading from smart grinder, I am not having any problems with it latter model did not need shims. I can get the Mahlkonig Vario Grinder for $540.delivered but is it worth the move using it with the BES900. I would appreciate any views on this
                Do you drink decaf as well? If so having a second grinder can be handy (so you don't have to switch the grind settings back and forth).

Comment

Sorry but I don't find anything here of any relevance to my question, I have been making coffee since cocky was an egg!

Thats okay, cos it is kind of an irrelevant question... I mean, I understand what you're asking, but really, as i said, unless you're upgrading to a mazzer, then there's no real point as the SG is the best (or at least equal) to anything in that price range. Kinda like a guitar player thinking they're upgrading from a yamaha to a chinese fender... Same price range, no difference in quality...... Sorry if I made my point in an unclear manner....

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                    Thats okay, cos it is kind of an irrelevant question... I mean, I understand what you're asking, but really, as i said, unless you're upgrading to a mazzer, then there's no real point as the SG is the best (or at least equal) to anything in that price range. Kinda like a guitar player thinking they're upgrading from a yamaha to a chinese fender... Same price range, no difference in quality...... Sorry if I made my point in an unclear manner....

your remarks are not helpful at all unless you have some experience between these two grinders then there is no point to your comments please leave your mazzer out of the equation If you were to even read any reviews on these two then you might have some perspective but all you seem to want to do is give vague comparisons and generalisations

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                      Do you drink decaf as well? If so having a second grinder can be handy (so you don't have to switch the grind settings back and forth).
                      Thanks for the input Barry but I don't drink decaf and it is not allowed in my house nor is low fat milk which they now seem to say can be very unhealthy
                      Last edited by water_dragon; 11 December 2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input Barry but I don't drink decaf and it is not allowed in my house nor is low fat milk which they now seem to say can be very unhealthy
                        Ahh....another who hasn't tried the Decaf WOW!
                        Cheers
                        BOSW

Comment

I have to agree with the above comment. I thought there is no way Decaf Wow could be any good. How wrong was i and how happy i was to be wrong. Its nice stuff

Comment

Still trying to find any one with experience of both these grinders

Comment

iv used both but im abit unclear as to what your asking really, are you only using the grinder for espresso or multiple brew methods? this is where the vario shines in accuracy compared to the smart?
                              how many grams of coffee do you grind per day? are you happy to spend $540 or are you looking for bang for your buck?
                              to many variables. you need to understand that if you making only one espresso shot a day then the smart grinder will suffice, if your getting to the point where yup think life would be easier with a superior grinder then yes its a wise upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X