Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM0480 - how clear residue after each grind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM0480 - how clear residue after each grind?

Greetings all, from a new user of an 0480 grinder. After each grind, if I remove the hopper and invert the grinder, a bit of leftover grinds and bean fragments will fall out all over the place. Then if I tilt it and tap it, another bunch of leftover grinds comes out the output spout, And if I pulse the motor a moment, yet a bit more comes out. Altogether, there's about a teaspoon of unused grinds left in the machine after a grind, if I don't clean it out this way. Naturally this isn't going to help the taste of the next coffee I make, which might not be until the next day. It's a messy business, cleaning out all the leftovers the way I do it above. Anyone got any quicker way to do it after every grind? (I only use it once a day, if that.)
    Many thanks,
    Graham H, N.Z.

Try using a vacuum cleaner. I use an 0480 for my wife's decaf and vacuuming it out after each use works a treat.

Comment

Thanks for the idea.... might try a minivac too. Cheers, GH

Comment

Look for mini attachments for normal sized vac.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod View Post
          Look for mini attachments for normal sized vac.
          "Mini Vac Tools", 5 tools plus adaptor, about 30 bucks or less from Godfreys.
          Or if N.Z., your local vacuum shop! ;-)
          Last edited by chokkidog; 30 January 2013, 02:37 PM. Reason: N.Z.

Comment

Got my last set from a "junk shop" for $1.

Comment

Even better!!

Comment

There are a few places grinds reside in the Sunbeam; in the 'grind chamber' immediately below the burrs (in between the sweeper blades), in various nooks and crannies around the lower burr holder, in between the burr housings and burrs themselves and in the 'throat' of the grind chute.

It's pretty straightforward to clear the throat and grind chamber by either vacuuming or running a small quantity of beans through the grinder (giving it a few thumps also helps loosen any stuck clumps, as does using a small, stiff brush or paddle-pop stick to clear the grind chute), but to clean the rest you really need to remove the hopper, upper burr and carrier and grind adjustment collar; I normally do this weekly at the same time as I clean the machine.

When grinding for a shot, I first knock/poke out any residual grinds in the chute/throat, then grind for a second or so into a small tupperware container (longer if very little comes out, as this means it's clumping up behind a blockage; it will all then fall out in a mini-avalanche). After the weekly machine clean, the collected 'waste' grinds are used for the flushing shot.

Comment

Working...
                X